Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Science Fiction Brittania on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The original intention was to show the final episode of B7 ('Blake') and the premiere of Blakes Junction 7, a parody starring Johnny Vegas as Blake, Martin Freeman as Vila and MacKenzie Crook as Servalan(!) - where the crew of the Liberator end up at Newport Pagnell Services on the M1.

Unfortunately, both were scuppered by rights issues (presumably with current rights owners B7 Enterprises*).

*Who really have proved themselves to be total arses ever since they bought the rights from the Nation estate.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I'm pretty sure I've seen most, if not all, of that B7 doc that was on last night.

More disappointment.
      You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

I think most of the interviews for the doc' were new, but we've heard them so many times that they seem old. Gareth Thomas' statement that he's never watched an episode of B7 doesn't explain how he apparently managed to record an audio commentary for the DVD.

Overall, I'd say the 'Cult of...' documentaries worked best on those series that you weren't already cognisant of Adam Adamant Lives!, Doomwatch, Survivors but I daresay that anyone who was remotely familiar with them wouldn't have learnt much new. They really demanded more than 30mins to do the shows real justice imo.
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
          I'd say the 'Cult of...' documentaries worked best on those series that you weren't already cognisant of Adam Adamant Lives!, Doomwatch, Survivors but I daresay that anyone who was remotely familiar with them wouldn't have learnt much new. They really demanded more than 30mins to do the shows real justice imo.
          Agreed! Unconditionally. They did seem to be 'gap fillers' to me. I felt very much that I was waiting for more after each one, well except 'Adam Adamant', perhaps. My sides were extremely split after the 30 mins. Any more than that would have resulted in damage, I felt. So I watched the first episode. Such innocence, so '60s, the script! Har har har! (sorry!)

But, I say, 'good on Beeb 4' for giving us the chance to see what went on, way back then.
          He's well smoked

Comment

Working...
          X