Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Science Fiction Brittania on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Science Fiction Brittania on BBC4

Has anyone else seen this advertised? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/features/sfb.shtml

Here is a listing of confirmed shows -
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/feature...listings.shtml

A few gems there: First four Pertwee Dr Who episodes, Day of the Triffids, The Kneale Tapes (a documentary), and the remake of 'The Quatermass Experiment.' Pity that last one isn't the original version, fingers crossed though, all programs haven't been announced.
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

They're also screening Dr Who: The Ark in Space, plus documentaries on and (I think/hope) episodes of Adam Adamant Lives, Blakes 7, Doomwatch, The Survivors, The Tripods and Starcops.

Certainly looks like it's going to be a cracker - even if I've got most of the serials (DW & Triffids) on DVD.

Oh - and I'm sure Guv knows this - the reason why it's not the original Quatermass Experiment being screened is because the BBC didn't record episodes 3-6. What does exist (ie Eps. 1-2) has been released on The Quatermass Trilogy DVD, along with the full, uncut & restored Quatermass II and Quatermas and the Pit serials.
    Last edited by David Mosley; 11-10-2006, 02:49 PM.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Thanks for filling out a few more details, David. I think that about the missing episodes of 'The Quatermass Experiment' went by me, making minimal impact on my consciousness. I'm not surprised, but that may be because I've heard what the Beeb was like back then, or beacause I had read that before.

Looking forward to seeing 'The Day Of The Triffids' again, I remember it from first time round. 'Survivors' I remember, too, I wasn't so fond of 'The Tripods' though. It amazes me they don't show these things more often (but then I suppose DVD sales would be hit.) The BBC made some great dramas, not least the ones of a speculative nature.
      You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

>The Tripods

Ah! Haven't seen The Tripods since it was first on the BBC. I think it's one my kids will like too.
        Particle Man, Particle Man Doing the things a particle can What's he like, it's not important Particle Man

Comment

Sci-Fi Brittania: wallowing in Sci-Fi nostalgia

Originally posted by Ilium
          >The Tripods
          Ah! Haven't seen The Tripods since it was first on the BBC. I think it's one my kids will like too.
          I was going to post a thread but you're already onto it. This has been VERY interesting viewing. For those of us in the UK, there's another chance to see tonights offerings throughout the week on Beeb 4. Try to catch 'Random Quest', a John Wyndham short story which has been updated to the 21st century. It's on again tomorrow (tuesday 28th) at 11.35pm, and it'll be your last chance this week.
          The four-part series 'The Martians and Us' has proved to be compulsive viewing for me. I grew up on HG Wells, Arthur Clarke and John Wyndham, and there are some very interesting and informative comments about their works, as well as many other writers.
          This weeks offering, the last in the series, is entitled 'The End Of The World As We Know It'. It covers early stories from the turn of the century (The Purple Cloud) through the '20s (The Deluge) and proceeds through the works of Wyndham and Ballard to present times. It's repeated on Wed. 29th at 7.00pm and midnight, try and catch it if you can!
          The Ark in Space was on tonight, as mentioned by David earlier in the thread. Great fun to watch the second best Doctor again! (that should prompt some responses, ha ha).
          I absolutely howled at 'Adam Adamant' last week. I thoroughly enjoyed 'A for Andromeda' as well, I'd missed earlier screenings of this remake, so was glad for the chance to catch it this time round.
          The Cult of..... Star Cops, is on offer tomorrow (8.30pm). Followed by a doc. on parallel worlds and a first series Star Trek episode (Mirror Mirror).
          And, Ilium, I remember Tripods as well. I had the three books from the local library years ago and devoured them. Great juvenile sci-fi. I think the first book was called 'The City of Gold and Lead', - I have a copy of it somewhere. Can't think who the author was - anyone out there jog my memory for me to save me opening all the boxes in my loft? The TV series was made when I was older, and I missed most of it, pubbing and clubbing no doubt!
          This series of sci-fi focussed programmes has been Must See TV for Sci-Fans! Try and catch what's left.

In case anyone's wondering, yes, I do have the TV pages in front of me!
          He's well smoked

Comment

Originally posted by Kipper
            ...anyone out there jog my memory for me to save me opening all the boxes in my loft?

The Tripod books were written by John Christopher and the books were: The White Mountains, The City of Gold and Lead and The Pool of Fire.

However, after all that, I can't seem to see if they are going to be repeating the two series after all.

I missed Random Quest, I do hope it will be repeated.
            Particle Man, Particle Man Doing the things a particle can What's he like, it's not important Particle Man

Comment

Originally posted by Ilium
              I missed Random Quest, I do hope it will be repeated.
              Random Quest was pretty good, which I found surprising for a Richard Fell script/production. (Fell wrte & produced the live Quatermass Experiment and the remake of A for Andromeda, both of which (but especially the latter) I felt were flawed. (In fact, AfA was pretty terrible imo. QE was redeemed by the fact it was a live production and had David Tennant in it.)).

Very nice performances from Sam West and Shaun Parkes. I was only going to watch the first few minutes as I was taping it, but I ended up watching the whole film in the end.

BBC4 normally repeat their programme seemingly indefinitely, so I'd be very surprised if RQ doesn't get a repeat some time.
              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
                Random Quest was pretty good, which I found surprising for a Richard Fell script/production.

Haven't seen any of the stuff he has written. Was going to listen to the QE, but forgot about that too!

I was only going to watch the first few minutes as I was taping it, but I ended up watching the whole film in the end.
                Always a good sign of something worth watching.

Comment

Random Quest

Random Quest was pretty good, which I found surprising for a Richard Fell script/production. Very nice performances from Sam West and Shaun Parkes. I was only going to watch the first few minutes as I was taping it, but I ended up watching the whole film in the end.

BBC4 normally repeat their programme seemingly indefinitely, so I'd be very surprised if RQ doesn't get a repeat some time.
                  I'm glad you enjoyed it David, sorry you missed it Ilium! Apparently it's a remake of a TV play/short film first shown in the '60s, (I think), called 'Quest for Love'. It's mentioned in a Beeb 4 programme called 'Time Shift: Parallel Worlds'. Repeated tonight at 11.00pm.

There's a repeat of 'The Martians and Us' tonight as well, the last part. It's at an early 7.00pm, but if you miss it, there's a chance to tape it at midnight and another at 03.00am!
                  He's well smoked

Comment

There's a repeat of 'The Martians and Us' tonight as well, the last part. It's at an early 7.00pm, but if you miss it, there's a chance to tape it at midnight and another at 03.00am!
                    Ah, cheer for that, will try and catch the 7pm showing, kids permitting, if not I'll have to wait for the midnight show.

Comment

I'm glad you enjoyed it David, sorry you missed it Ilium! Apparently it's a remake of a TV play/short film first shown in the '60s, (I think), called 'Quest for Love'. It's mentioned in a Beeb 4 programme called 'Time Shift: Parallel Worlds'. Repeated tonight at 11.00pm.
                      As I understand it, Random Quest is the third version of the Wyndham short story. Apart from the Tom Bell/Joan Collins film version, Quest for Love, it was also adapted as part of the BBC's Out of the Unknown sf anthology series (also as QfL), but like much of the Beeb's output from the '60s it was junked, probably in the '70s.

Both the previous Richard Fell productions are likewise BBC serials that no longer exist in the archives in their entirety, although in the case of The Quatermass Experiment it's more because episodes 3-6 weren't recorded because it was felt the recordings of Eps 1-2 were too poor rather than a deliberate policy to burn old tapes).

Although I am not a big fan of Fell's updates & abridgements (both TQE & AfA were originally 6x and 7x 30min serials truncated to 90min films) it's commendable that he's attempting to restore some missing plays to the BBC's 'back catalog'. I'm hopeful that one day we might see a new version of Nigel Kneale's (lost) classic play The Road as well.
                      Last edited by David Mosley; 11-29-2006, 09:39 AM.

Comment

It's been a bit disappointing how this has petered out. I'm still enjoying '...Triffids' but there doesn't seem to be much else on apart from 'Torchwood. Looking at the listings, the only thing of note coming up is a retrospective of 'Blake's 7' on Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island
                          It's been a bit disappointing how this has petered out.
                          I think that's an habitual problem with BBC4 'seasons' to be honest. They had a 'spy season' on a few weeks ago that seemed to be over before it'd even started. They seem to start out with huge fanfares and then just fizzle out.

Comment

They seem to start out with huge fanfares and then just fizzle out.
                            Shame, really. They should stop thinking about their DVD sales and put on some of those old series they made so many of. All the way through, of course. It's frustrating seeing clips or one episode of a series.

Comment

Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island
                              They should stop thinking about their DVD sales and put on some of those old series they made so many of.
                              Agreed, I thought that they would show a few more classic shows than they did. I'm not sure it would do their DVD sale harm, it may even boost them, as many who catch an old episode of a classic Who or Blake 7 etc. may then be inclined to go and buy the DVD.

It seems Blake 7 may be back in audio form at least: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds40681.html

Comment

Working...
                              X