Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What TV are you watching now (2020)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pietro_Mercurios View Post
    Watched the first episode of, Doom Patrol, last night. It's based on Grant Morrison's wacky version, so not sure how long I'll keep watching, but the characters & acting were engaging enough. I remember buying a couple of issues of the original Doom Patrol comics, back in the Nineteen Sixties, along with The Metal Men, two of my favourite & weirdest, DC series, when I was a youngster.
    Please be sure to post your thoughts once you've decided to abandon or continue the series.

I remember really liking a lot of Morrison's run on Doom Patrol. I've had the series marked as "to watch" for quite a while now. There a lot of items ahead of it in the queue, though.

Speaking of which, I blazed through Chernobyl earlier this week. Normally it might have taken me half a month or more to finish. Amazing and horrifying.

I might be approaching the point where I'll watch anything Jared Harris is in, especially if his character is doomed (like in The Terror).

Originally posted by Thanos Shadowsage View Post
    I said the exact same thing to my wife! And I said something similar about the second season of Umbrella Academy on Netflix. Another decent show by the way. But you're right, when a show is set in a specific time period I get put off when the soundtrack doesn't match. Glad I'm not the only one.
    Me and the kiddo are now four episode into Umbrella Academy season 2. The kiddo was a big fan of season 1, so season 2's been a long time coming for her. Her favourite is 5. Not sure if that should concern me.

Anyway, I've noticed the same jarring soundtrack problem in some of the Umbrella Academy episodes. Boney M, The Stranglers and Styx songs just didn't work for me as background for a series set in 1963.

I could maybe give The Stranglers tune a pass as it sounds like some something from the later psychedelic era of the 1960s and therefore sort of in the period ballpark. I suppose it's all meant as emotional shorthand reinforcing the thrust of a scene. Or maybe it's just some wanky chasing of Guardians of the Galaxy's mixtape and its success at drumming up money for old songs.
    Last edited by Heresiologist; 09-09-2020, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Tonight, I watched a random episode of, The Avengers: Steed & Peele (colour years). The one with the transvestite psychedelic, hypno-nanny. Then I watched the Buffy (tVS), episode, about her having to pay the plumber, right after coming back from the dead. Then I watched an episode of, "The Mrs Bradley Mysteries" The Rising of the Moon.

Two very feisty ladies, Diana Rigg & Ruth Bader Ginsburg, gone in the same month.

Comment

Watching the Dutch news this evening, discovered that Juliette Gréco, extraordinary 'existentialist Muse' & chanteuse, has also gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Heresiologist View Post

Please be sure to post your thoughts once you've decided to abandon or continue the series.

I remember really liking a lot of Morrison's run on Doom Patrol. I've had the series marked as "to watch" for quite a while now. There a lot of items ahead of it in the queue, though.

Speaking of which, I blazed through Chernobyl earlier this week. Normally it might have taken me half a month or more to finish. Amazing and horrifying.

I might be approaching the point where I'll watch anything Jared Harris is in, especially if his character is doomed (like in The Terror).

I''ve just watched eps. 4&5 of series 1. So, I'm a third of the way through the first season & still watching. It's nuts & occasionally surprisingly gory & violent. I like the Doom Patrol characters. They're all troubled. I haven't been watching much beyond detective stuff, recently, this is the first TV superhero stuff I've watched in a while.

Son really got into, Chernobyl, as well. Too dark for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro_Mercurios View Post
            I''ve just watched eps. 4&5 of series 1. So, I'm a third of the way through the first season & still watching. It's nuts & occasionally surprisingly gory & violent. I like the Doom Patrol characters. They're all troubled. I haven't been watching much beyond detective stuff, recently, this is the first TV superhero stuff I've watched in a while.

Son really got into, Chernobyl, as well. Too dark for me.
            You might like The Outsider limited series, based on the Stephen King novel of the same name. It's pretty much a detective story, filled with troubled characters. And a monster. Depending on your mood, though, it might approach or even get into the outskirts of Chernobyl exclusion zone darkness.

Comment

Working...
            X