Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What TV are you watching now (2020)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pietro_Mercurios View Post
    Watched the first episode of, Doom Patrol, last night. It's based on Grant Morrison's wacky version, so not sure how long I'll keep watching, but the characters & acting were engaging enough. I remember buying a couple of issues of the original Doom Patrol comics, back in the Nineteen Sixties, along with The Metal Men, two of my favourite & weirdest, DC series, when I was a youngster.
    Please be sure to post your thoughts once you've decided to abandon or continue the series.

I remember really liking a lot of Morrison's run on Doom Patrol. I've had the series marked as "to watch" for quite a while now. There a lot of items ahead of it in the queue, though.

Speaking of which, I blazed through Chernobyl earlier this week. Normally it might have taken me half a month or more to finish. Amazing and horrifying.

I might be approaching the point where I'll watch anything Jared Harris is in, especially if his character is doomed (like in The Terror).

Originally posted by Thanos Shadowsage View Post
    I said the exact same thing to my wife! And I said something similar about the second season of Umbrella Academy on Netflix. Another decent show by the way. But you're right, when a show is set in a specific time period I get put off when the soundtrack doesn't match. Glad I'm not the only one.
    Me and the kiddo are now four episode into Umbrella Academy season 2. The kiddo was a big fan of season 1, so season 2's been a long time coming for her. Her favourite is 5. Not sure if that should concern me.

Anyway, I've noticed the same jarring soundtrack problem in some of the Umbrella Academy episodes. Boney M, The Stranglers and Styx songs just didn't work for me as background for a series set in 1963.

I could maybe give The Stranglers tune a pass as it sounds like some something from the later psychedelic era of the 1960s and therefore sort of in the period ballpark. I suppose it's all meant as emotional shorthand reinforcing the thrust of a scene. Or maybe it's just some wanky chasing of Guardians of the Galaxy's mixtape and its success at drumming up money for old songs.
    Last edited by Heresiologist; 09-09-2020, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Tonight, I watched a random episode of, The Avengers: Steed & Peele (colour years). The one with the transvestite psychedelic, hypno-nanny. Then I watched the Buffy (tVS), episode, about her having to pay the plumber, right after coming back from the dead. Then I watched an episode of, "The Mrs Bradley Mysteries" The Rising of the Moon.

Two very feisty ladies, Diana Rigg & Ruth Bader Ginsburg, gone in the same month.

Comment

Watching the Dutch news this evening, discovered that Juliette Gréco, extraordinary 'existentialist Muse' & chanteuse, has also gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Heresiologist View Post

Please be sure to post your thoughts once you've decided to abandon or continue the series.

I remember really liking a lot of Morrison's run on Doom Patrol. I've had the series marked as "to watch" for quite a while now. There a lot of items ahead of it in the queue, though.

Speaking of which, I blazed through Chernobyl earlier this week. Normally it might have taken me half a month or more to finish. Amazing and horrifying.

I might be approaching the point where I'll watch anything Jared Harris is in, especially if his character is doomed (like in The Terror).

I''ve just watched eps. 4&5 of series 1. So, I'm a third of the way through the first season & still watching. It's nuts & occasionally surprisingly gory & violent. I like the Doom Patrol characters. They're all troubled. I haven't been watching much beyond detective stuff, recently, this is the first TV superhero stuff I've watched in a while.

Son really got into, Chernobyl, as well. Too dark for me.

Comment

I''ve just watched eps. 4&5 of series 1. So, I'm a third of the way through the first season & still watching. It's nuts & occasionally surprisingly gory & violent. I like the Doom Patrol characters. They're all troubled. I haven't been watching much beyond detective stuff, recently, this is the first TV superhero stuff I've watched in a while.

Son really got into, Chernobyl, as well. Too dark for me.
            You might like The Outsider limited series, based on the Stephen King novel of the same name. It's pretty much a detective story, filled with troubled characters. And a monster. Depending on your mood, though, it might approach or even get into the outskirts of Chernobyl exclusion zone darkness.

Comment

I've been watching some of Season One of The Fall Guy.

I watched Season One and some more after it of Get Smart again, because I did not remember some things from it, and it is streaming now. Had to test it out out a larger TV as well.

Another re-watch of Stargate: Atlantis.

Some of "Van Helsing" TV Series that was recently added to Netflix.

I watched some Voltron cartoon episodes with the vehicle force, because I missed most of them originally, and I love Outer Space stuff.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
              - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by lemec View Post
                I watched some Voltron cartoon episodes with the vehicle force, because I missed most of them originally, and I love Outer Space stuff.
                When I was young I had the full set of the vehicle force toys, kept in their original box when I wasn't playing with them. They vanished when we moved when I was 8 and I'm pretty sure my parents figured the box was junk and tossed the whole lot. That and my gen1 original Transformers "Jetfire" toy (actually an American re-issue of the Robotech 'Valkyrie' toy--also mysteriously vanished during the move) were my two biggest toy losses as a child.

My wife and I have been watching the two season Sense8 series by the Wachowski's on Netflix. I have been quite impressed with it and although the second season really seems to bring the LGBT+ undertones of the show to fore the overall messaging of the commonality of human experience across all walks of life is really moving.
                "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

That's cool. I'll have to look for a complete Voltron some day. I was fascinating that they could land their big spaceships in the water. I am a Robotech fan, and I had a Jetfire, but sold it on e-bay a few years ago to condense my collection. I think I had the red plane for Voltron's chest.

As a side note: I also saw Sense8, and it's hard not to get caught up in some of those scenes, where I cheer for the characters. They were perfect at expressing emotion.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                  - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I have canceled Netflix and I enjoyed a promotion to sign HBO where I am seeing two amazing shows

Westworld
                    Lovecraft's Country

Before, I signed a Brazilian streaming service for two months which gave me access to the seasons of The Big Bang Theory I had not watched ( 8 onwards ) and Young Sheldon, which are two of my favorite shows.
                    "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                    "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

I finished the first season of HBO's Watchmen mini-series. While I think the series has been good I am having a hard time trying to associate it with the comics. If you have not seen it please stop reading now.

I warned you

Ok, Dr. Manhantan now has feelings and falls in love. He even cries.
                      Silk Spectre is a cynical older version of a character she has never been and it is turned into the stereotypical old badass female cop
                      Ozymandias is a buffon.
                      They have a new Rorschach-like character because everybody misses him

I liked the show, but some of the new ideas are extremely forced as creating a love interest for Dr. Manhattan since the point of the comics was that he would more and more get distance from mankind. The last two episodes are really convoluted and suggest Deus Ex Machina's ideas and ontological paradoxes. I almost laughed when I saw an emotional Dr. Manhatan transferring his "powers" to an egg then I thought I should probably cry.

The only work in the Watchmen universe not written by Alan Moore that I think is as good as the original one has been written and drawn by Darwyn Cooke in the prequel before watchmen and they just have changed it. I did like the new version because it is the gist of the TV show.
                      "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                      "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

There is a reason for young Sheldon being the most-watched show in USA, because it is fantastic. I am watching Season 3 now.

Comment

I haven't watched much actual television over the last decade; very rarely does a film or documentary that truly interests me show up in regular programming on the free -to -air channels ( all that i can afford.) You Tube though, sometimes tosses me an interesting bone now and again and in the last half of an hour i caught a music documentary from 1973 that hitherto i never knew existed.

The subject was centered on the recording of the album Here Come The Warm Jets and just simply titled Eno.

Here it is : https://youtu.be/f0_XIdbx6eY
                          Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Heresiologist View Post

I've just finished watching the first season. It's every bit as bizarre, wacky & camp, as you'd expect from Morrison's work. At least he's not as darkly nihilistic as Garth Ennis, or remorselessly humourless like Zak Snyder. The cast is pretty good, including Danny Street. Overall, the surreal & retro flavour to the whole series works to give a genuinely classic, DC, feel. A bit like, Batman: The Animated Series, got back to its DC roots, too.

I'll probably be watching the second series.

Comment

I've just finished watching the first season. It's every bit as bizarre, wacky & camp, as you'd expect from Morrison's work. At least he's not as darkly nihilistic as Garth Ennis, or remorselessly humourless like Zak Snyder. The cast is pretty good, including Danny Street. Overall, the surreal & retro flavour to the whole series works to give a genuinely classic, DC, feel. A bit like, Batman: The Animated Series, got back to its DC roots, too.

I'll probably be watching the second series.
                              Thanks for the report. Makes me glad I put it in the to-watch queue. Now, I just need to find, or make, the time!

Comment

I just canceled HBO Go subscription since I am disappointed with the service ( the only show I really liked there was Lovecraft Country ). Disney+ is finally available here and I got a big discount of 40% as a user of mercado livre. I watched and loved The Mandarolian.

Comment

Working...
                                X