Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What TV are you watching now (2020)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watched Hulu's "The Great" over the past few weeks. It is a comical take on the court of Peter III of Russia and the rise of his wife Catherine (the Great). Largely a-historical with the occasional little historical nugget, but overall rather entertaining. The cast fully commit to their caricatures with Nicholas Hoult's performance as a man-child-despot Peter III (incorrectly made the the son of Peter the Great) deserving special mention.
    "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
    --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Originally posted by Kymba334 View Post
      Well P M this is all so very nostalgic!🙂

Back in those glory days of British television though forward to 1970 there was another science fiction series that as a young kitten abducted my attention.

A cult hit saturated in mutated adolescent hormones, in dire need of script doctoring and with a very obvious suspension of disbelief bypass.

This show's main theme seemed to be about the struggle for survival of the most "stylish".

Might as well unleash the link.... https://youtu.be/Q1XOacWCbuo
      Remember it well. Never have string vests been sexier! ;>D

Comment

Normally i don't view much television with the possible exception of the occasional documentary and even then mostly only on science or arts related topics.
        Tonight though on the S B S World Movies Channel over the course of the last two hours i've once again been gripped by....

Dredd

( Family friendly link )

https://youtu.be/SQ2Hjq83rHo?list=RDSQ2Hjq83rHo
        Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

I watched Season 1 of NOS4A2 , it has it's faults but ended up entertaining . I'm not usually into horror but this was a different take on vampires , I have now read the book so I'll give Season 2 a go to see what they do with it . On the comedy side , I binge watched Fran Drescher's The Nanny , apparently Ther Chaos Queen , Chaos Twins and Xiombarg Junior watched it when we were still living in Scotland......I must have been working....or inthe Moorcock Inn

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kymba334 View Post
            Normally i don't view much television with the possible exception of the occasional documentary and even then mostly only on science or arts related topics.
            Tonight though on the S B S World Movies Channel over the course of the last two hours i've once again been gripped by....

Dredd

( Family friendly link )

https://youtu.be/SQ2Hjq83rHo?list=RDSQ2Hjq83rHo
            I still have Judge Dredd's first appearance in the comic 2000 AD issue 2, complete with the free gift . The Sylvester Stallone Dredd was a washout, I watched this version and this time Dredd NEVER removed his helmet , just like in the comics .

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

The graveyard shift on a random film courtesy of SBS World Movies Channel : 99 Homes.

In the tradition of " Wall Street " this real estate drama is very much a dog eat dog tale hardwired into the hardscrabble real world post 2008 Global Financial Collapse.

Watching this tautly directed social horror story i found myself predictably triggered by memories of my own decade -and-a-half long struggle against potential homelessness ( not always winning either.)

No comfortable moral to be drawn from this worthy film ; instead an amoral truth perhaps - good guys often indeed do come last whilst Roger Waters's very own Dogs may win the day.Victory for the ruthless of course is also dependent on mastering the art of sleeping with one eye open.

99 Homes Trailer - https://youtu.be/Vh0piQN1_LY
              Last edited by Kymba334; 07-21-2020, 03:25 PM.
              Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

I've been watching an awful lot of Poirot, recently. Mostly the earlier, lighter, series. With Captain Hastings, Chief Inspector Japp & Miss Lemon. David Suchet's Poirot is, in many ways, definitive. However, I do know a few Belgians, both Walloon & Flemish, so there comes a point where I can't avoid thinking, 'a Nineteen Teens stage Belgian, comedy caricature.´ Last night I watched the episode, Murder on the Links, set in France, where Poirot finds himself in competition with a boorish pipe smoking, fedora wearing, French, Commissar Giraud. So tonight, I watched, ´The Improbable M.Owen.' One of the Cremer' Maigret lighter episodes, with Maigret having a short break at the Palace Hotel on the beach, in a popular Mediterranean holiday resort. Light enough that the art scam subplot reminded me of Lovejoy. Nothing boorish about this Commissar.

Comment

Finished the TV series of What we do in the Shadows, Obviously more in-you-face than the film given the TV format. Both excellent.

Comment

Last night, I watched, 'Astérix Aux Jeux Olympics' (2007), on Flemish telly. It's a very silly movie. Gerard Depardieu was basically born to play Obelix, although, Clovis Cornillac, never quite replaces, Christian Clavier, as the star turn title character from the earlier movies. It won a, 'Gérard du cinéma,' the French equivalent of a, 'Golden Raspberry,' for worst French movie of 2007.

So, just in the mood for some more daft French humour, I fished out my DVD copy of, Fantômas (1964), and gave it another watch. Starring Jean Marais as both Fantômas & his enemy the journalist, Fandor, as well as, Louis de Funès, as the brave, but dumb, Chief of police. Fantômas is the anonymous super criminal & master of disguise, whose audacious jewel robberies shock France. It's bonkers & ridiculous, but played with just enough seriousness to carry it all off. Apparently, there are two sequels out there.

Comment

Working...
                    X