Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What TV are you watching now (2020)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“It’s a toaster!”

Comment

"It's a video nasty!"

"It's a carpet, farty!"
      Last edited by Jack Of Shadows; 03-23-2020, 02:16 PM.
      "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
      'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

“No-one listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen album.”

Comment

Originally posted by porcus_volans View Post
          Jerzy Bolovski is my hero!

"That's a Zapata moustache, ennit? He's Mexican, wasn't he, eh? Funny, really, you know, Zapata. He starts out as a peasant revolutionary, and ends up as a kind of moustache. Che Guevara, he's another one. South American revolutionary, ends up as a sort of boutique. Garibaldi, Italian revolutionary, ends up as a kind of biscuit. It's quite interesting, you know, the number of biscuits that are named after revolutionaries. You've got your Garibaldi, of course, you've got your Bourbons, then of course you've got your Peek Freens Trotsky Assortment.

[sings] "Revolutionary biscuits of Italy / Rise up out of your box! / You have nothing to lose but your wafers / Yum yum yum yum yum!"

Comment

Jack, have you heard Alexie Sayle’s Imaginary Sandwich Bar on the BBC Sounds app?

He hasn’t changed a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by porcus_volans View Post
              Jack, have you heard Alexie Sayle’s Imaginary Sandwich Bar on the BBC Sounds app?

He hasn’t changed a bit.
              No, I will have to check that out. Other than The Young Ones and Alexei Sayle Stuff, I haven't really seen or heard anything else that he has done. Thanks PV!

Comment

I'm watching The Last Kingdom.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                - Michael Moorcock

Comment

The only TV we see is CBeebies! Oddly enough, a lot of it is better than what is on non-kids channels!

Comment

So, I watched Diamonds Are Forever on TV (been watching them in order with my dad, free during covid). At any rate, does anyone else find a similarity in presentation between Mr. Kidd/Mr. Wint in Bond and Mr. Croup/Mr. Vandemar in the BBC television version of Neverwhere? There’s none of the homophobia latent in the Bond in the Gaiman. But - the satirical dialogue banter?
                    Kevin McCabe
                    The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Right now I'm watching two old favorites: Mystery Science Theater 3000 (mostly Joel, some Mike episodes), and Charlie Chan (the older, the better! - I prefer the ones from the 1930s into the early 40s featuring Warner Oland and later Sidney Toler). Comfort shows. Every now and then I'll rewatch a Brit murder mystery - preferably a cozy one - though sometimes I'll indulge in a little Vera or Shetland if I'm in a more serious mood.

das

Comment

I'm the actual Pietro_Mercurios. The very excellent previous posts were from Porcus Volans.

... ... ... ... ...

Anyway... I've just watched the 2nd Doctor (Patrick Troughton), in, 'The Web of Fear.' All six episodes, right through. Set in the London Underground, the Doctor fights the Yeti & The Great Intelligence, once again.

I did sort of watch it, back in 1968, but I took fright all the time & I'd run out from behind the couch, to the bathroom, carrying the, 'Pow!' & the 'Fantastic!'comics with me. I'd read them, taking solace in the crazy & fun work of Leo Baxendale, Ken Reid & the Mighty Marvel Bullpen, then run through to get thrilled with Victoria, Jamie & the Doctor, some more.
                        The-Web-of-Fear-3.jpg?w=662&ssl=1.jpg
                        A sensory overload my 8yr old self will never forget.

Comment

At one point, I think it's Jamie & Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart, pass a garish film poster with the title obscured with white on black strips with the words, BLOCK BUSTERS, on them But, the camera lingers long enough for you to see the stars were, Sidney Poitier & Rod Steiger. I did actually see, 'In The Heat of the Night,'at a local flea pit, in 1974. I lied about my age to get in, but I learned an awful lot about the USA & modern history, as a consequence.

BRITISHQUAD146-2.jpg?v-cache=1327064021.jpg

Block Busters, indeed.

Comment

For a sense of completeness, these might be the very issues I was hiding behind, at the time... Fantastic_11021968_00.jpgPow_11021968_00.jpg
                            Maybe not those particular editions, but you get the idea!
                            Last edited by Pietro_Mercurios; 05-24-2020, 02:47 AM.

Comment

At the weekend, I checked out, YouTube, for links between BBC2's, early arts & culture programme, 'Late Night Line-up' & 'Doctor Who.' Sure enough, there was a clip from sometime, 1967 (in colour). With presenter, Joan Bakewell, interviewing, Jack Kine, head of the BBC Visual Effects Dept., creator of the special effects for Doctor Who, as well as the creepy insectoid Martians from the original, Quatermass & the Pit. The issue of just how scary the effects could be, for children's & adult programmes at the time, is raised. Rewatching, 'The Web of Fear,' I'm still impressed at just how dark & scary, the series could be, with a surprisingly high mortality rate, as squaddies & civilians are webbed to death in the dark & shadowy tunnels of the London Underground. Not bad for a children's programme scheduled for tea-time on Saturday nights.

In the clip, Cybermen, cybermats & (first generation), Yeti, abound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ87cxhoUfg

Comment

Well P M this is all so very nostalgic!🙂

Back in those glory days of British television though forward to 1970 there was another science fiction series that as a young kitten abducted my attention.

A cult hit saturated in mutated adolescent hormones, in dire need of script doctoring and with a very obvious suspension of disbelief bypass.

This show's main theme seemed to be about the struggle for survival of the most "stylish".

Might as well unleash the link.... https://youtu.be/Q1XOacWCbuo
                                Last edited by Kymba334; 06-02-2020, 02:08 AM.
                                Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

Working...
                                X