Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

What TV are you watching now (2020)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What TV are you watching now (2020)

What it says on the tin. A place to discuss our Television (and streaming?) viewing for the year.

Previous version (2015)

As for me: my lovely better half and I have recently decided to tackle the once-popular Downton Abbey. We are up to S4 E6 now iirc and have been thoroughly enjoying it.
    "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
    --Thomas a Kempis

Someone at work recommended to me :
    One strange Rock
    A Space/Earth science program.
    Quite interesting and the visuals are pretty amazing on a big 4K TV.

Comment

Originally posted by EverKing View Post
      What it says on the tin. A place to discuss our Television (and streaming?) viewing for the year.

Previous version (2015)

As for me: my lovely better half and I have recently decided to tackle the once-popular Downton Abbey. We are up to S4 E6 now iirc and have been thoroughly enjoying it.
      Me and the Mrs. thoroughly enjoyed Downton Abbey as well. It's very well scripted and finely acted with entertaining stories and you really care about the characters. It was also nice getting to see some of the same actors that I've seen in other older British shows in that one, such as Lesley Nicol who portrays Mrs. Patmore. I remember her from Blackadder II as Mrs. Pants in the episode Money.

You might also enjoy Mr. Selfridge, Call The Midwife and The Bletchley Circle if you haven't checked them out already.
      Last edited by Jack Of Shadows; 01-23-2020, 04:12 PM.
      "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
      'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

I am watching Dracula on Netflix.

It's a little different and fun.

Edit- Well, I changed my mind on it, the show only started good.
        Last edited by lemec; 01-28-2020, 05:51 AM.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
        - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Of Shadows View Post
          You might also enjoy Mr. Selfridge, Call The Midwife and The Bletchley Circle if you haven't checked them out already.
          Thank you for the recommendations. The Mrs. is an avid 'Midwife' fan and I must confess to enjoying the show as well--although the cast changes are sometimes difficult to deal with, the replacement characters eventually find their stride and I find myself warming to them for the most part.

--Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Since being made redundant last year I've discovered The Big Bang Theory through daily re-runs on E4. Originally when I first saw TBBT a few years ago I was a bit sniffy about it and felt it was more laughing that the nerd/geek characters than laughing with them but as I've watched more sequential episodes rather than random ones I've been able to detect the arcs for each character and the show as a whole. I think the moment that TBBT actually became significant was the episode where Howard's (off-screen) mother died and you see the characters all dealing with the aftermath. That was were it switched from geeky losers clinging to their nerdy adolescence to adults learning to deal with real-life events. Typical that I should get into it just as the series was ending though!
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Watching a broadcast of The Three Doctors. It's part of a pledge drive for KBTC, a local PBS station. KBTC was, at one time, the only U.S. station broadcasting Dr. Who. Classic series.
              Kevin McCabe
              The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Carnival Row. If you have Amazon prime ( I got it for 35 dollars for a whole year ) I recommend watching this stunning and visually beautifully dark steampunk fantasy series.
                Thank God second season has been ordered by Amazon.

edit: Picard series episode 1 is excellent.
                "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                  Since being made redundant last year I've discovered The Big Bang Theory through daily re-runs on E4. Originally when I first saw TBBT a few years ago I was a bit sniffy about it and felt it was more laughing that the nerd/geek characters than laughing with them but as I've watched more sequential episodes rather than random ones I've been able to detect the arcs for each character and the show as a whole. I think the moment that TBBT actually became significant was the episode where Howard's (off-screen) mother died and you see the characters all dealing with the aftermath. That was were it switched from geeky losers clinging to their nerdy adolescence to adults learning to deal with real-life events. Typical that I should get into it just as the series was ending though!
                  Welcome back David. I stopped watching it on season 7 because it had been hard to catch the shows when they were aired. I caught a few episodes in a marathon when I was visiting my mother in law and saw my all time favorite episode with Sheldon playing around in his "secret room".
                  "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                  "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

I have been tempted to get into TBBT for some time and have seen a few episodes here and there over the years but haven't devoted time to catching the entire show. Maybe some day I will.

As I killed my satellite TV subscription five or six years all I have had are various streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and now Disney+) so I tend to either watch older shows or their original content. Netflix has had some shows I have really enjoyed (Jessica Jones is the stand-out of their Marvel shows, also enjoy The Ranch, and lately The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina just for something different). The only Hulu original I really got into was their Catch-22 limited series but Handmaid's Tale is also decent. Amazon has had some stellar shows: Jack Ryan and Hanna really stand out there. Of course Disney+ has The Mandalorian.

Otherwise, it is older shows either from my younger days (Magnum P.I., Highlander, for a while Quantum Leap was available but that appears to have been dropped) or sitcoms from 10-20 years ago (Scrubs, How I Met Your Mother).
                    --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

I like Carnival Row , detested the BBC War of the Worlds , it started out ok but went downhill rapidly , Dracula started out ok as well but also hit the downward slope , on the comedy side , Upstart Crow is hilarious .

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

I watched all of season one of The Mandalorian.

I'm watching Star Trek: Picard, and want to watch the second half of the 2nd episode.

I also watched Short Treks.

Watched some TNG on Netflix to refresh memory.

Probably will watch another one of the newer things on Netflix.

And, I watch a presentation by David Hatcher Childress from a speaking event.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                        - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I just watched Star Trek Nemesis , really enjoyed it .

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

In honor of Terry Jones I watched a bunch of episodes from Monty Python's Flying Circus followed by a few episodes of Ripping Yarns. Both series are always great for a laugh.
                            "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
                            'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Of Shadows View Post
                              In honor of Terry Jones...
                              I too have been watching some Flying Circus as well as the Python documentary series "Monty Python's Almost the Truth." Very interesting to see behind the curtain, as it were, although much of what they share has already been known for years.
                              --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Working...
                              X