Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Did Big Brother 7 (UK) lose the plot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Big Brother 7 (UK) lose the plot?

Cor, that's finally over. Unsurprisingly

which was kind of obvious from week one, so no surprises there, but haven't they really flogged this thing to death yet? 13 weeks? 22 housemates? Whatever happened to "10 housemates, 10 weeks, 1 winner"? The original BB was some kind of endurance show. BB7 has been more of a freak show than usual.

And I haven't even watched the damned thing this year.

(Sorry to any non-Brits who don't have the foggiest what I'm rambling on about. )
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

For my sins (whatever they may be) I watched most of this series. In terms of the number of housemates, it's worth mentioning that a lot of people simply decided to up and leave the house this year... so substitutes had to be brought to replace them. That wasn't the programme-makers' fault, but bringing the evicted housemates (well, the ones who weren't in trouble with the cops ) back for a final week "surprise" was very lame, and potentially fraudulent! It also resulted in some quite sickening lovey-dovey scenes between Nikki and Pete... call me cynical, but it's interesting how the self-confessed gold-digger suddenly realised her "love" for the man who everyone knew was going to win, upon her return to the house. Hmmm...

I'm not proud of myself for watching the show, and it's ridiculous how passionately I started to dislike certain housemates... always reminds me of the "two minute hate" concept from Orwell's 1984 (oddly enough).

The first BB was much better, because the contestants were relatively "normal" and un-media savvy, and the producers didn't feel they had to pull ridiculous and confusing stunts to keep people entertained. It was just a curious social experiement to see how different people behaved in a confined space, having to complete tasks for their food. Now it's all about fake breasts, simulated sex and... as one of this year's contestants admitted, she was just there to get "exposure" to help launch a career presenting TV. Which would have been quite a cunning plan, if she'd actually done anything even vaguely presenter-like, but she didn't.

The only ray of light, really, was Pete. Although he got a bit too "sweet" at times, it was encouraging to see the public respond to a man who wasn't acting the way a "typical" man is supposed to these days. He respected the female housemates, expressed his feelings openly and rejected the notion of living in luxury while his friends suffered during the prison task. The fact that he was so popular both inside and outside the house very nearly restored my faith in humanity.

So, it wasn't all bad. Honest!
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Over here in Australia we have once again just finished enduring the tripe that they call Big Brother. I don't know about over in England, but over here every add break had the idiot that presented the rubbish prattling on like a fool, trying to be funny. Then at 7pm they showed a half hour of PG rated scenes, then at 10pm (or there abouts) the adults only segment was on for a few hours, we also had an hour of the fools competing in a show called Friday Night Games.

Thank god I do not watch much T.V, but the lad that lives with me watched it religiously (I gave him a good ribbing about it believe me). Now it's over thank god, and they have put one of my favorites on in it's place, Futurama, even though I have seen them all, they are still a good laugh.

We had a bit of a controversy this year. One of the male contestants gave one of the females what they referred to as a turkey slap. This so called turkey slap (I must be getting old, I don't understand any of this new fan dangled slang) involved the young man having a friend hold her down while he rubbed his crotch across his face. The two young men involved where booted from the house. We then had everyone from pollies, to womens rights activists calling for an end to the show. The premier of Queensland when asked about it replied, 'I do not watch that rubbish, the only people who would find entertainment in it are idiots!' (or something to that effect), best thing he's ever said.;) I just hope that was the last we will see of it.

However, within a week of that crap finishing, they have begun to air another piece of purulent rubbish designed to dull the minds of those in the populace that I like to call stooges, Australian Idol.
      Last edited by redbeard; 08-21-2006, 09:08 PM.
      My signature is

Comment

I just hope that was the last we will see of it.
        So say we all

Comment

Working...
        X