Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Star Trek News And Speculation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find it interesting that in the high definition version of Star Trek TOS, I can easily spot the moments when the stuntman takes over for William Shatner.

Also, I noticed in all of the Star Trek series spinoff's and the original, the writers used the words "stand by" quite often. (sometimes, "standing by")

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by lemec View Post
      I find it interesting that in the high definition version of Star Trek TOS, I can easily spot the moments when the stuntman takes over for William Shatner.

Not just in high def. Old series, like the English, Avengers, with John Steed and Mrs Peel, were also a bit prone to obvious stunt work. But, in a time when things like TV programmes usually flowed at a more stately pace, I suspect that viewers, suspending their disbelief, would be carried along by the relatively quicker speed of the fight's pacing and be a bit slower to spot the join. Nowadays, everything rushes along at break neck pace and jump-cuts are the norm. Not only has the average viewer learned to spot all sort of minor irregularities on screen, but we tend to watch things more than once, also having the ability to freeze frame and slo-mo, as the fancy takes us.

Comment

Yes. So true.

It's almost hard to believe we were once a world without VHS, laser discs, DVDs, Blu-ray and instant streaming where I can pause, use slow motion and watch a movie twenty times.

Speaking of expert editing, on my Man From U.N.C.L.E. re-watch last night, they pulled a Thunderball on Napoleon Solo, by creating a Double.

Then, setting a precedent for James Kirk versus James Kirk, Napoleon Solo had to fight his exact duplicate in hand-to-hand combat.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
        - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
        X