Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Star Trek News And Speculation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Trek News And Speculation Thread

Hello Everyone,

There are always rumors,news and articles about the Star Trek movies and television series, so I thought I'd start a thread here to talk about them. I know they have their own web site, but I thought I'd bring it up here since some members are fans and some space/science-fiction might have a mild interest in what is going on in the Star Trek universe.

Please enjoy and feel free to post any news,comments and anything else you might want to say about it on here. :D

Sci-Fi Channel wrote in it's Rumors section:
    Kirk To Return In Mirror Trek?

The Canmag.com Web site reported a rumor that William Shatner is one of the former Star Trek captains who would appear in a proposed new Trek movie set in the "mirror" universe. Citing an anonymous source, the site reported that a script is floating around for a proposed new movie that would bring together Shatner's Capt. James T. Kirk, Patrick Stewart's Capt. Jean-Luc Picard and possibly Scott Bakula's Capt. Jonathan Archer. The movie would be a prequel film set in the evil parallel universe first introduced in the original Star Trek episode "Mirror, Mirror" and last scene in the Star Trek: Enterprise two-part episode "In a Mirror, Darkly."

Shatner was rumored to be up for a guest role in the last season of Enterprise, which ended in May, but never appeared. The site reported that the proposed film might incorporate elements of that episode as well.

Officially, Paramount has made no announcements about a future Trek movie of any kind, and cast and crew members have repeatedly said on the record that they know of no plans for a further installment in the venerable movie franchise.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, LET IT GO!!!

:D

But seriously, as much as I enjoyed the previous series (except perhaps 'Enterprise', which I couldn't really see the point of) I think that the best thing Paramount can do - on the assumption that they aren't going to 'retire' the goose that lays their golden eggs - is rest the franchise for a decent length of time, at least 10 years, and then bring it back with a fresh production team.

In the UK, Doctor Who was a show that was steadily worked into the ground by a production team (or specifically a producer) who essentially got tired of the show but didn't - or was unwilling to - recognise the fact. Not that it was any sort of grand plan on the BBC's part (when the show was axed it was because it no longer had any supporters within the Corporation) but I think it's generally agreed by most people that the 2005 re-birth of DW after 15 years off UK screens has been a success both critically and commerically.

I'd like to think that something similar was possible for ST, but I really think it needs fresh blood both in front and behind the camera.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

No matter how crap it gets, my sister will probably still keep buying the DVDs... :roll:

Whenever I try to think of ways that ST could be improved, the diea always ends up as far away from ST as it's possible to get. I just plain can't stand these do-gooders flying around and being all self-righteous about how great humanity is... yes, if you buy into the idea that somehow the human race managed to overcome all its internal division and get over its money worries and all that jazz, but that's really the hardest part of the whole show from a "willing suspension of disbelief" point of view. But then I've bored lemec with this enough in other threads, so I'll leave it at that! :)

However much they try to tweak their formula, it wouldn't be Star Trek if the protagonists were in anyway realistic or sympathetic...and how would their fanbase react if the female characters were actually allowed to wear baggy uniforms for once?

Sorry. I'll shut up now.
      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

:lol: equally good points demos and Dee. :D

Yes, a nice rest would be good for it.

Maybe a five year rest would be good enough, I don't see them waiting ten, but you never know, I think after five or six in ST's case, people will stop bothering, when it resurfaced in 1979 it was riding all that Star Wars buzz from 1977. :lol: Now, there is not much interest in the space operas.

Dee, I enjoy your threads, I'm not bored. :lol:

Maybe there could be a catastrophe on the Federation Worlds to shake things up, make people need food,water,shelter and money again and set the show in the 51st Century or something like that and have new ways to travel, get away from the classic bridge setting and so forth. ;)

Make things a little more realistic as you say and have more sophisticated allies and adversarys and they need to think beyond current Earth's political and social events instead of making shows reflecting our time, then, maybe they will have a new show and or movie. :D

Thanks for discussing such a dead topic, Trek will have to be added to the dead language list like Latin. :lol:

-Lemec

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
        - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by lemec
          Thanks for discussing such a dead topic, Trek will have to be added to the dead language list like Latin. :lol:
          You haven't experienced Latin until you've read it in the original Klingon. ;)
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by demos99
            You haven't experienced Latin until you've read it in the original Klingon. ;)
            :clap: hehe May I suggest a new Emote inspired by that statement?

'The spilled cofee all over the keyboard icon?' :lol:

perhaps placed after the "spit take" Emote? (for those unexpected moments, that often occur in this forum)

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

I quite enjoyed what I saw of Andromeda (which suffered typical UK random scheduling) which I think had some of the spirit of the original 60s Trek, and E.E.Doc Smith books - basically, stick it far enough in the future that the science can be ridiculous as you like. No 'reverse the polarity' pseudo-science when you have Nova Bombs.

But I mainly liked it for the in-jokes, like the Nietzschian character sitting there reading Ayn Rand books as a sacred text (and of course that it was the Nietzschian philosophy that destroyed the liberal commonwealth).

Comment

From what I saw of Andromeda, it looked like what could happen to Star Trek if the Federation collapsed.

I used to really like Star Trek when I was younger but DS9 started to bore me and Voyager really bored me witht the same couple of stories every few weeks, which was why I ended up moving to Babylon 5. Enterprize was not too bad to begin with but I didn't watch too much of it.

Like Demos has mentioned, I think that the franchise could do with a long break. They've done too much, too quickly and ran out of ideas. A new team in a few years could really do something with Trek. It would be nice to see some new life breathed into it as it was good although I don't think they could ever beat the original series for me. Kirk was cool.

Comment

I've enjoyed Star Trek, when it is both good and bad. The last movie wasn't all that bad, either. It didn't do so well because they foolishly opened it against LOTR, which was a guaranteed box-office draw. Though, right now, I'd much rather have more episodes of Firefly/Serenity.

Comment

I never liked star trek - too much like neo-con policy today...

to quote myself from before....
                    [broken link]
                    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 12:56 PM.
                    Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
                    Bakunin

Comment

Apparently JJ Abrams (the guy who is responsible for Lost and other prime time tripe) is wanting to do a sort of prequel. Last I read they were talking to Ben Affleck with a view to him playing a young James T....

Guess it makes sense to swap the old ham for the new. Still a ham though...
                      Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Apparently the whole prequel with Ben Affleck was just a rumor. But I have seen nothing specific about what the new movie will be about. I'm just glad they are bringing in a new creative team. The Berman/Braga team needed to go.

Comment

Planet Vulcan also has a North:
                          http://www.ussintrepid.net/
                          http://www.ussintrepid.net/trailer/trail-main.htm

Galactic fashion seems changed towards the more solid end of the spectrum, in this Trekkieverse.

Must be something to do with the Klingon Pizza&Whitepudding suppers!

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken
                            Apparently JJ Abrams (the guy who is responsible for Lost and other prime time tripe) is wanting to do a sort of prequel. Last I read they were talking to Ben Affleck with a view to him playing a young James T....

Guess it makes sense to swap the old ham for the new. Still a ham though...

ham is right,haha. how young of a Kirk do they want anyway? Affleck is about the same age now as Shatner was in the original series. They would need an early 20's actor for Starfleet Academy, but that history is already written pretty much. ;)

I read they were going to have a different kind of prequel, then changed their minds, hard to say what they'll do.

I did see a Borg walking around the other day at the Hilton

That Intepid site looks interesting. A fan movie?

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

That Intepid site looks interesting. A fan movie?
                              Yep! From Scotland.

Comment

Working...
                              X