Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Rock Follies of '77

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock Follies of '77

For reasons I won't go into (but a quick look at the cast list will probably explain all) I would be curious to check this show out... but since I wasn't born at the time it aired (not bragging, just a fact) I was wondering if any older readers remember it... and do they remember it being any good? What I've read about it seems faintly impressive, but you can never be sure...

Gracias! :)
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

I've seen it, and the follow up. It was actually much better than you would expect. The music isn't bad either. Tim Curry turns up at some point (second series I think) and does a really good turn.

Comment

Originally posted by johneffay
      I've seen it, and the follow up. It was actually much better than you would expect.
      Some of the reviews seemed to suggest that it was "ahead of its time" in the sense that it isn't too painful to watch after all these years.

Originally posted by johneffay
      The music isn't bad either. Tim Curry turns up at some point (second series I think) and does a really good turn.
      Bless him! I have some of his solo songs on a Rocky Horror compilation, and he really was a good singer in his day... for all I know, he probably still is, but he doesn't get quite so many musical roles now.

Thanks for the reply! The discs are going pretty cheap, so I'll have to see how much cash that friendly Santa chap brings me this year. :)

Comment

Am old enough! Cringes. I dont remember the series too well,probably on after i was sent to bed, no one had TV's in their rooms in those days! Well no one I knew anyway! But had the album, the music was not that bad, a little before punk. Julie Covington and Rula Lenska.Have the single, 'Only Women Bleed' Jeez that is such a bad title and the boys at school thought it hilarious, as teen boys would!

Comment

Well, it's hard to remember in some ways, most of it I remember through a fog of alcohol, but what I do remember seemed O.K. For the times the themes were seen as racy, young girls in the music scene trying to make it big by any means. There was an album of the music which I think is lying around the house somewhere.
          Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

I saw it originally and have the series on DVD, although I have to admit I haven't got round to sitting down and watching it all. Production values look quite poor as you'd expect from a 70's studio based drama. The main point of interest for me now is that the series featured Beth Porter, who previously worked with one of my favourite cult film directors Andy Milligan back in the States, but that's another story altogether...
            'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Originally posted by Marca
              The main point of interest for me now is that the series featured Beth Porter...
              I think she sings a duet with Little Nell (who was my point of interest in the show)... Oh yes, look, here's the MP3:

http://www.rockyhorror.de/songs/kid.zip

Hurrah!

Comment

Working...
              X