Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Airships on Channel 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airships on Channel 4

Just thought it was worth mentioning that Channel 4 (UK) are starting a three part series on airships today. I've only just noticed the listing, after my sister started whining about how there's never anything good on TV these days!

17:25 The Airships
    As the Roaring 20s drew to a close, a new era began for the airships: an era that would spark fierce rivalry between nations to dominate the skies.
    Not sure if Mike is interested, or if he'll see this before the show goes out, but there's no harm in a few of us Brits taping it just in case. :)

Now, I'll have to ask Una to set the video for me... she's set it up so that it actually moves within the three dimensions of time, and keeps changing the very substance of the multiverse. Women! :roll:
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

I thought it might be worth someone taping it, in case Mike wanted to see it and wasn't able to.
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

I might experiment with my sister's DVD recorder too... no promises though. Una might have been playing with that machine too. I don't want to turn into a crystalline entity just trying to set the recording "speed".

Comment

'S'OK, guys! As an (intermittent) member of the Airship Society, I'm apprised of the broadcast and have a traditional 'Video Cassette' primed to record the impressions on a pattern of electromagnetic tape. I shall send it to Texas with the Dr Who's... :D

Comment

Hurrah for Airshipman Perdix! I hope you wore a suitably impressive coat while watching the programme?

Personally I knew nothing about airships before today, beyond what I've enjoyed reading in the Bastable books, so I found it all very interesting. How it will seem to people who know about these things, I can't really say. To be honest there is only so much b/w footage of giant frames being erected in sheds that my fidgeting brain can stand, so I hope the pace picks up a little as we get nearer to the present day. Still, the historical context was fascinating, although it's sad how quickly talk turned from the "romantic" nature of the craft to "baby killer" bombing raids.

Comment

I didn't realise that Zeppelins and blimps played quite such a large role in WW1. Interesting that the bombing of civilian targets was a great spur for recruitment to the front. Now why didn't Churchill remember that when ordering the bombing of German cities in WW2?
            \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

The role of the airship in WW1 was seriously curtailed by lone pilot Dogfight Donovan, RFC (aka Dogfight Dixon) as recorded in Dogfight Donovan's Day Off in the forthcoming Adventure!
              I'd love to see those programmes, pards. I can't play a conventional tape until I get back to Texas, but I love a DVD if someone can get me one to Majorca!
              I have an actual piece of Zeppelin, from one that was brought down over London... Once we started loading tracers, the bombing raids ended.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
              The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
              The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                I'd love to see those programmes, pards. I can't play a conventional tape until I get back to Texas, but I love a DVD if someone can get me one to Majorca!
                Sorry, I haven't been paying attention to your itinerary, but the programme has another two weeks to run. If you still fancy a DVD copy after that, then I'll be more than happy to drop one in the post.

Comment

I thought it was Michael Yorke and Elka Sommer wot stopped them pesky Zepps? :lol:

Mike, is your Zepp fragment part of the Cuffley wreck? The MoD say they want it back under the Official Secrets act

The programme was really very good. Some 'period' CGI that actually worked, and top airship historians (except ME :lol: ) with a pretty complete overview - including my beloved 'Submarine Scouts'. I think they'll cover the 'Shenandoah' disaster, Akron/ Macon and Hindenburg/ Graf Z I&II (all of which, except GZII, had pretty messy ends) in the next episode. I'm just finishing a piece on 'Shenandoah' for PX1...I've known the details of the 'crash' of this (in effect) Zeppelin-style 'height climber' for years, but writing about it this week literaly brought me out in a cold sweat. A staggering story of horror, tortured Duralumin and wires snapping like brittle tendons in a maelstrom of vertiginous disarticulation.
                  Sorry, it's set me off now... :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                    if someone can get me one to Majorca!
                    Majorca, eh? North or South?
                    Arma virumque cano.

Comment

Working...
                    X