Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

BBC4 TV: 'HG Wells and Me'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBC4 TV: 'HG Wells and Me'

BBC4 TV: HG Wells and Me

BBC4 TV: Tuesday 15 March 9.30pm (repeated 0:50am and 3.20am)
    BBC Four pays tribute to the godfather of science fiction.

Years after his death, HG Wells is still as popular as ever; his novels are being republished and Stephen Spielberg is currently making a film version of his most famous novel, The War of the Worlds (set in America, but never mind).

In a BBC Four documentary next week, a new generation of writers, scientists and film-makers, including Jonathan Ross, Lord Hattersley, Patrick Moore and China Miأ©ville, pay tribute to the godfather of science fiction.

HG Wells and Me is on BBC Four on Tuesday 15 March at 9.30pm (repeated 0:50am and 3.20am)
    Could be interesting and China Miأ©ville might well be worth listening to.

That little piffler, Jonathan Ross, is involved, but no mention of Michael Moorcock, who might just have had something interesting to say on the subject. Are Patrick Moore and 'Lord' Hattersley really counted as part of a "new generation of writers"?

Good Grief! :roll:

Once again I'll have to wait until it's repeated at some sort of ridiculous time on BBC2.

Sounds pretty interesting I just started reading War of the Worlds its really good.

Comment

Yes, read that long ago, bit of a strande ending by the standards of modern liteature although closely mirrored by many of John Wyndham's works. :D

P.S. READ WYNDHAM

Comment

Originally posted by Judge
        Yes, read that long ago, bit of a strande ending by the standards of modern liteature although closely mirrored by many of John Wyndham's works. :D

P.S. READ WYNDHAM
        Couldn't agree more, John Whyndam is brilliant. The Day of the Triffids, The Kraken Wakes, The Chrysalids, The Midwich Cuckoos all brilliant. 8)
        Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

HG Wells was also Brilliant! :D I can recommend (in Online, or downloadable plain vanilla text, Form):

The Time Machine (1895)

The Island of Doctor Moreau (1896)

The Invisible Man (A Grotesque Romance) (1897)

The War of The Worlds (1898)

The War In The Air (1908)

(When) The Sleeper Awakes (1899-1921) {Wells fiddled about with it through several published versions}

And there were many, many more, excellent novels and short stories, not only SF, but witty social satires. Wells did go off the boil a bit in his later years, with less plot and more post Fabian and pro League of Nations diatribe. But, definitely not with these babies! :D

Just got to mention, The History Of Mr Polly (1949), starring John Mills and based on the novel by HG Wells. One of my most fondly remembered films, even though I haven't seen it for years. :)

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Androman. I will try to catch this one on TV. I've liked HGW ever since studying a book of his short stories at college. Anyone remember 'The Purple Pileus.'?

Comment

Originally posted by Judge

P.S. READ WYNDHAM

agreed, READ Him noW!!!11

Comment

Working...
              X