Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Eurovision Song Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eurovision Song Contest

I'm not sure why I watch, but I do. I could try to hide behind the EU flag and pretend that it's all about a sense of European unity, but I just can't... sadly this is the only real opportunity for most countries to hear what their neighbours sound like, but the "music" that is showcased usually has nothing to do with the country of origin, or the music that is actually being bought by anyone in those countries. If there were an "alternative" version, with each country's best new rock or indie bands then I would be hooked... instead I sit zombie-like through an evening of songs that I would never tolerate if they were English. In this country it's all a big joke for most people, but it has been suggested that some other countries take it quite seriously (of course there's always lots of bitching in England when "we" lose, and the loss is often blamed on hard feelings over Iraq! :roll: ).

I believe that the contest was originally started as a way of promoting unity between nations, as we all showcased our best musical talent... and if that were the mission statement they'd stuck with, then it would certainly be worth watching. I can't speak for the other countries, but England's entry is usually some third-rate "Reality TV" reject plastic-pop wannabe. Gah! I've just seen "our" possible entries for this year, and I could barely stifle the yawn.

Does anyone else out there know what I'm going on about, or do you all have much fuller lives than me?

Note: There's no way I would have wasted anyone's time with this in the "Rock and roll" section.
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

I think I've seen a few minutes of it once the music was truly awful, but I suppose thats the appeal of it.

Comment

(of course there's always lots of bitching in England when "we" lose, and the loss is often blamed on hard feelings over Iraq! Rolling Eyes
      I seem to remember Terry Wogan saying that a couple years ago, when the UK entry received nil point. Nothing at all to do with the song being a load of dingoes kidneys of course...

Its laughable if you think about it - that the majority of European countries would use a rather rubbish 3rd rate 'talent' show to air their dissatisfaction with the UK's support of the Iraq invasion.

I do notice though that Eurovision is Terry Wogan's last link to television (outside of Children in Need). Perhaps they'll pension him off soon!
      Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

I think the last time I watched it the whole length was the year after Sandie Shaw success with "Puppet on a String". But it was already a nauseating experience and although "culture" as a value didn't matter much to a 14 year old , I already "sensed" it was about the lowest you can get.

L'Etranger: minus 12 points
        (If it weren't a Deecrowseer who started this discussion I would have ignored it altogether, urrgh)
        Google ergo sum

Comment

Sorry L'E!

To be honest I doubt I'll bother this year. I was just curious to see if there were any corners of Europe where it was considered worth the effort... apparently not.

I genuinely wish there were a forum, or platform, for multilingual music sharing (aside from festivals, which I never go to). I've enjoyed Rammstein in the past, despite the language barrier, but they've hardly opened the floodgates... oأ¹ sont les filles d'أ©meute ?

Comment

I dont think the Eurovision song contest accurately showcases the music of a country(at least I hope not!). For example, I believe last year Germany had a truly awful song called 'In the Disco' which I really hope does not reflect the current German music scene. A lot of the time as well most countries do sing in English, which I don't think is so good.

Comment

Satellite tv probably doesn't help maintain any country's indigenous music scene. Maybe controversially, I'd suggest "popular" music is or has been one of the UK's real strengths over the years. The fact we speak American probably helps though.

If Eurovision achieves anything this year, it might be that it exposes Katie Price to a normally gullible public as the talentless waste of newsprint that she really is. Hopefully a resounding "no" vote for her will close down at least one avenue for her ongoing publicity seeking.
              \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
                oأ¹ sont les filles d'أ©meute ?
                Can't help you there, but if you like Rammstein, you might want to check out Laibach.

Comment

Originally posted by HawkLord
                  A lot of the time as well most countries do sing in English, which I don't think is so good.
                  I agree. I enjoy hearing other languages, and if they're supposed to be representing their country, then they may as well sing in their native languages... especially since English is only technically the official language of two voting countries. 'Tis a silly contest.

Originally posted by Zakt
                  If Eurovision achieves anything this year, it might be that it exposes Katie Price to a normally gullible public as the talentless waste of newsprint that she really is.
                  I was actually willing to give her the benefit of the doubt... but she really can't sing. At all. It was like listening to karaoke in Hell. But still she came in second! Apparently the male population of Britain weren't using there fingers to vote with on the phone lines that night...

Originally posted by Typhoid_Mary
                  Can't help you there, but if you like Rammstein, you might want to check out Laibach.
                  One website claimed that they've been around for 25 years! Considering the fact they've also (apparently) remixed some Rammstein songs, it's strange that I've never heard of them before, but that's what I mean... there are probably some fantastic bands out there, singing in other languages, that we Brits never get to hear about. It's a crying shame really, but I think the internet probably offers a solution of sorts... to those with fast enough modems to exhange MP3s. :(

Comment

If Eurovision achieves anything this year, it might be that it exposes Katie Price to a normally gullible public as the talentless waste of newsprint that she really is. Hopefully a resounding "no" vote for her will close down at least one avenue for her ongoing publicity seeking.
                    Ugh! Katie Price wanted to represent the UK!? It shows it how desperate she is for publicity... Bloody media whore!
                    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

U really listen Laibach????? Cool....

I watched Eurovision last year, only coz we finally had song there:roll:
                      But this year I will so skip that.....I'm so ashamed by what we r sending on Euro-song :oops:

Comment

Rammestein for Germany, Laibach for NSK State, Motorhead for the UK, few more bands like that from around Europe, I'd watch. :lol:

Comment

If you like Rammstein and Laibach, you may want to check Die Krupps :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by AndroMan
                            Rammestein for Germany, Laibach for NSK State, Motorhead for the UK, few more bands like that from around Europe, I'd watch. :lol:
                            An Alternative Eurovison Song Contest! That's a great idea! I'm sure it would be far more representative of the musical tastes of the participating countries.

Comment

I agree.... @ least we acttualy could hear few hours of normal music on tv....

Comment

Working...
                              X