Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What are you watching on Netflix and general chat about Netflix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
    Star Wars Into Darkness
    Please say you typed that deliberately.

Comment

Originally posted by Wethewax View Post
      Star Wars Into Darkness
      Please say you typed that deliberately.
      My bad....

Sorry I meant STAR TREK

"From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
      "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

I have just finished watching what they have of "Black Mirror" ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2085059/?ref_=tt_rec_tti ), at least where I am. I understand that Netflix offers different selections in different countries. I'm ready to say that this is the best English-language tv series of this century (so far, and of the ones I've watched, obviously).

Each episode is an entire, self-contained story, without any sort of cross-references apart from the overall title and thematics. The "black mirror" is the screen of cell phones and computers, especially as used for social media like Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Most stories have some science fiction elements in it -- although the very first episode, for example, could take place today. This one is also atypical, as its central idea struck me as a bit adolescent at first. I have to admit, though, that it is carried out with the strictest logic and consequence. And it's certainly as disturbing as the rest.

My favourite episode, if I have to choose one, is the first of the second season. If you decide to give the series a chance, you should definitely include this before abandoning the rest.
        Last edited by Jagged; 10-20-2015, 11:42 AM.
        "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Comment

Well, in the end, The Witcher was quite good IMHO. I know I have said somewhere else that it was an Elric rip off but I was wrong.
          I caught the six seasons of the show Community on Amazon prime and loved it.
          Netflix Lost in Space refilming is excellent too.
          "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
          "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Originally posted by Jagged View Post
            I have just finished watching what they have of "Black Mirror" ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2085059/?ref_=tt_rec_tti ), at least where I am. I understand that Netflix offers different selections in different countries. I'm ready to say that this is the best English-language tv series of this century (so far, and of the ones I've watched, obviously).

Each episode is an entire, self-contained story, without any sort of cross-references apart from the overall title and thematics. The "black mirror" is the screen of cell phones and computers, especially as used for social media like Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Most stories have some science fiction elements in it -- although the very first episode, for example, could take place today. This one is also atypical, as its central idea struck me as a bit adolescent at first. I have to admit, though, that it is carried out with the strictest logic and consequence. And it's certainly as disturbing as the rest.

My favourite episode, if I have to choose one, is the first of the second season. If you decide to give the series a chance, you should definitely include this before abandoning the rest.
            A few months after you suggested this series I watched the first two seasons and the interlude. I liked it a lot. Then, it became a new trending among "cool" people and the show was Americanized, which took most of the fun IMO..

Comment

Well, in the end, The Witcher was quite good IMHO. I know I have said somewhere else that it was an Elric rip off but I was wrong.
              I caught the six seasons of the show Community on Amazon prime and loved it.
              Netflix Lost in Space refilming is excellent too.
              I tried the first episode of Witcher but haven't been able to bring myself to watch more of it just yet. There is nothing specific that ruins it for me but a collection of a thousand small complaints with the first episode alone that makes it nigh unwatchable for me.
              "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
              --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Originally posted by EverKing View Post

I tried the first episode of Witcher but haven't been able to bring myself to watch more of it just yet. There is nothing specific that ruins it for me but a collection of a thousand small complaints with the first episode alone that makes it nigh unwatchable for me.
                The first episode is my least favorite, but it is possible that you will not like the rest of them. My kids loved the show. My youngest son even asked me to buy him the books. On the other hand, I am not as much as crazy for the second season of The Witcher as I am for the third season of Lost In Space or the third season of Dark or for the fourth season of Stranger Things. Dark is in my opinion the best tv show since Fringe.

Comment

I started to watch Star Trek Discovery recently, I liked it fine but there was too much war for me in the beginning. Later it got better. I loved the Short Treks and I am loking forward to Star Trek Picard. An I wached Watchmen, which I loved. The Mandalorian I also loved except some of the filler episodes in the middle.

Comment

I know about the proxies we can use to select the programming of different countries, but I see it on my Android phone ( I think there might be a solution to this as well )...
                    Try using NordVPN, it has an Android app..... :)
                    It works fine... erm so I'm told ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Jagged View Post
                      I have just finished watching what they have of "Black Mirror"
                      I LOVED Black Mirror.
                      All the episodes are great, so me are excellent.
                      I've rewatched some of them, as I originally binge watched them and missed the full meaning and depth of some of them on the first watch.

I wanted to like "The Witcher" series, but I think as I got burned out from Game of Thrones, I kind of lost interest in the story of Witcher. I realise the stories are very different, I just didn't feel like getting into it at the time.
                      I might give it another go one day.
                      I loved the Witcher 3 game though.

Comment

I like Witcher, but Mike regards it as Theft. While I think it’s entirely possible the original Polish work was independently developed from common tropes, I find it hard to argue that it’s a hell of a coincidence, given
                        1) bleached white skinned and bleached white hair swordsman
                        2) called The White Wolf
                        3) in a world where chaos is the source of magic
                        But, I do think that maybe there’s a new aesthetic expressed in this series. It is not a darling of the critics, though the general public loves it. Many fans my age think it feels too much “like a game.” But, young fans overwhelmingly love it. So, maybe this is a generational aesthetic.
                        Kevin McCabe
                        The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

I watched some old episodes of Ancient Aliens on Netflix.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                          - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I watched "Ragnarok", a new netflix series made in Norway, which is a kind of Smallville type of show but focused on Thor. Good stuff.
                            I have watched the second season of Glow, which is pretty good too.

Comment

I've been watching the Witcher and reading The Invisible Library - both won't exist, I'm sure without Mike. Enjoying both but missing the Real Thing.
                              ​​​​​​
                              Statistically 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy.

Comment

I watched "Ragnarok", a new netflix series made in Norway, which is a kind of Smallville type of show but focused on Thor. Good stuff.
                                I have watched the second season of Glow, which is pretty good too.
                                I just can't get enough of GLOW and Stranger Things!
                                ---------
                                ---------
                                ---------

Stranger Things Writers Account had a super-short video teaser for Stranger Things 4, on Twitter!

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                                - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
                                X