Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

What are you watching on Netflix and general chat about Netflix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you watching on Netflix and general chat about Netflix

Given that we are talking a lot about Netflix, I think we should have separate thread for it. Although I love Netflix I have my complaints about them mostly because of the catalog.

I know about the proxies we can use to select the programming of different countries, but I see it on my Android phone ( I think there might be a solution to this as well )...

Right now I am watching Ripper's Street a splendid recreation of the Victorian London 6 months after the ripper has vanished. This is more close to "From Hell" ( Alan Moore's ) than to Sherlock Homes stories or utopic steampunk.
    "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
    "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

I'm a pretty harsh critic so take what I say lightly but I hated the acting in ripper street. Loved the production values but the acting and script put me off in the first episode. Shame because London looks beautiful in it and the ripper case does interest me.

Comment

Originally posted by Octo Seven View Post
      I'm a pretty harsh critic so take what I say lightly but I hated the acting in ripper street. Loved the production values but the acting and script put me off in the first episode. Shame because London looks beautiful in it and the ripper case does interest me.
      Respectfully disagree on this hehehe But you sort of expected didnt you?that...

The acting is quite decent if you ask me and the scripts get better after episode 2, when the series take their own way as something more than a Victorian CSI or relying into exploring the effects in people's of the ripper murderers.

It was filmed in Dublin by the way!
      Last edited by zlogdan; 05-16-2015, 02:11 PM.
      "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
      "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
        Originally posted by Octo Seven View Post
        Respectfully disagree on this hehehe But you sort of expected didnt you?that...

The acting is quite decent if you ask me and the scripts get better after episode 2, when the series take their own way as something more than a Victorian CSI or relying into exploring the effects in people's of the ripper murderers.

It was filmed in Dublin by the way!
        Maybe I need to watch more of it, I only watched the first episode and yes, it reminded me of CSI a bit lol. A lot of Dublin looks like Victorian London, same architects and era. Older, Georgian Dublin is beautiful too, far more so than the Victorian stuff but I like it all. I miss that about my city, the different eras encroaching on each other, the layers of times and places.

Comment

At my Dad's recommendation, gave Chef's Table a look-see, in particular, the Francis Mallmann episode; holy-wow! incredibly inspiring. Highly recommended, if only for the episode.
          sigpic

Comment

I have finished Ripper's Street, with its dark Victorian settings and themes. It became one of my faves.

Sense8, by J.M Strazinsky and The Wachowski brothers seems to redeem all the participants ( Strazinsky for daring to write a prequel do Watchmen and The Wachowski for that lame thing they called Jupiter's Ascending )

Comment

I got on Netflix a couple of months ago and am currently watching "Sense8". I was very close to dropping it after the first episode, but have now managed to get about half-way through the season, and am getting slightly more interested.

It's nice, of course, that it's taking sf television a step in a direction direction where not only the hard sciences are thematized but also the "soft" ones like sociology and such. It's high time tv and cinema takes this step that literature did with "the new wave" in the 1960'es. Also, I admit that it has to be credited for participating (along with the first season of "American Horror Story" and one or two others) in moving the evolution of characterization of gay people to the next stage.

On the downside, it offers close to nothing concerning structure, plot, pace, and stuff like that. So in the end, I wouldn't really recommend it to anybody. It's not enough to preach the politics, one must also tell a good story.
              "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Comment

I think "Sense8" first episode was very decent compared to say "Jupiter's Ascending" or "Before Watchmen", which the authors of Sense8 committed before it. I think you are right about that they are moving to a more modern sci-fi approach...

Started to watch "How I met your mother". Well, it seems the life of the main character is just the same as used to be mine before I met my wife. The series have some crazy way of using flashbacks, thoughts representation. Very entertaining...

Comment

Danger 5: genius!
                  sigpic

Comment

The Other One: The Long Strange Trip of Bob Weir - very enjoyable and well worth all the technical hiccups I kept getting trying to play it.

On a similar tangent, I'm surprised this site isn't besieged with Deadheads; I get the prog-rock thing, but I'm shocked this place isn't falling apart with Grateful Dead nonsense! Don't really consider myself a Deadhead ('twould be an insult to said) but they have their moments...
                    sigpic

Comment

Enjoying all the Stephen Chow movies on Netflix: God of Cookery ("Sex Son!!"), King of Beggars, King of Comedy, Journey to the West, Kung Fu Hustle. The guy does a good-movie!
                      sigpic

Comment

Daredevil! First 4 are great, then it bogs down with conventions through episode 8, and then it builds up steam again to finish on a strong note. Enjoyed this series much more than the movies (there's a fair amount of subsurface content about the erosion of the US middle class, for example), or than Agents of S.H.I.T., which I find unwatchable.

DD's costume does look a bit like he skinned treads off a highway hauler tire, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Guzzlecrank View Post
                          Daredevil!.
                          I think I'm going for that next. I dropped Sense8 for a bit, meaning to start over with it later and giving it another chance.

At the moment I'm rewatching the original BBC adaption of "House of Cards". I actually originally got on Netflix just to watch their version, but they've been so decent as to put up the earlier one. How they could ever dream of doing it without Ian Richardson is beyond me for the moment, but maybe I'll know when I get that far.

Daredevil was my very-close-to-favourite Marvel superhero when I was a kid. He was actually also the one with the most issues out in Denmark; surpassing Spiderman, FF4 and Marvelall. Looking forward to see if they treated him right.
                          "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Comment

I have watched "Ascension", which has retro 60s sci-fi aesthetic allied with modernized plots a la Battlestar Gallatica ( Tricia Helfer is at it ). Very good mini series that could have been expanded but it seems syfi will not continue to produce it, maybe because science fiction is not much their business.

Comment

The World's End - Pretty disappointed.
                              World War Z - good
                              Star Wars Into Darkness - Loved it. Although heretical, very very good.

Comment

Working...
                              X