Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What TV are you watching now? (2015)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What TV are you watching now? (2015)

I was a bit skeptic about Netflix producing its own shows, but if they all are as good as Marco Polo, a ferocious adventure on the far East, with Kung-Fu fights, Kublai Khan, highly sensual oriental ladies, blood and wars and palace intrigues I cannot only praise Netflix.

Bad ass, 5/5 show.
    "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
    "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
    I was a bit skeptic about Netflix producing its own shows, but if they all are as good as Marco Polo, a ferocious adventure on the far East, with Kung-Fu fights, Kublai Khan, highly sensual oriental ladies, blood and wars and palace intrigues I cannot only praise Netflix.

Bad ass, 5/5 show.
    Agreed; also, give the movie The Horde a look. It should be on Netflix, but I'm unsure if you'd get it there; I hope you do, very cool! Though, darker and more violent than Marco Polo (probably should have mentioned that ) .
    Last edited by SeeDoubleYou; 03-14-2015, 12:42 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Hey Double, I have checked it, Brazilian Netflix does not have it yet but I took note with many marks!

Have you seen "Parallels" ? Netflix advertises it as a series, but it is just a pilot.
      Pretty good stuff - Sliders on acid - but it does not have any other episodes !
      "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
      "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
        Have you seen "Parallels" ? Netflix advertises it as a series, but it is just a pilot.
        Pretty good stuff - Sliders on acid - but it does not have any other episodes !
        Excellent recommendation! Very cool imagery, but I totally agree; where the hell is the rest of this awesome-series?!?
        Hopefully, it's the powers-that-be just feeling out whether or not to develop it further, unless this is an abortive attempt at a series, in which case, I refer to my previous statement:
        sigpic

Comment

I am a huge fan of Sherlock BBC so I tried to watch its American counterpart "Elementary" perhaps trying to mock it or bash it but man, I confess:

I am on episode 22 of the first season and hardly can't stop watching it. A different kind of adaptation but really good.

Comment

I'll admit to preferring the more conventional Elementary to the BBC's more experimental* Sherlock.

(*Well, it was, until it got uberpopular: likely stuck in format now).

Comment

I rewatched all of True Detective season1. It's even better second time round, probably my favorite TV show since The Wire.

Comment

Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
                I'll admit to preferring the more conventional Elementary to the BBC's more experimental* Sherlock.

(*Well, it was, until it got uberpopular: likely stuck in format now).
                Sherlock is ruined for me by giimicky visual devices like depicting his point of view like a computer scanning a room etc. Good cast and some nice cinematography and writing but the direction puts me off. If they toned down the 'flashiness' it would be a lot more engaging to me. I feel kinda similar but less so about Dr Who. they try to force a frantic pace sometimes with fast editing and sweeping camera work and it just feels a bit silly and off.

Comment

I have, more or less, all the Jeremy Brett, Sherlock Holmes series on DVD (my favourite Holmes), as well as the Murder Rooms series, starring Ian Richardson, as Dr Joseph Bell and Robin Laing as young Arthur Conan Doyle. Also, a copy of the Hammer version of Hound of the Baskervilles, starring Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee and André Morell (Professor Quatermass), that I bought in Germany. I prefer my Holmes, back in situ, in the late Nineteenth - early Twentieth Century.

Once again, the adaptations, no matter how good, can't beat reading the original stories.

Comment

They don't make television like this anymore, except in the USA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRcP0tG9IJ0
                    "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Comment

Originally posted by Jagged View Post
                      They don't make television like this anymore, except in the USA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRcP0tG9IJ0
                      Love the pacing and the quality of the black and white footage. good share

Comment

The Fall - ( BBC show ) - Atypical police procedure investigation show. Sometimes you wonder if the main character Stella Gibson, played brilliantly by Gillian Anderson, is guilty of misandry but the idea I believe is to show how misogynist all these types of show can be ( despite being good or not ). The investigation is depicted without cliches. Very dark show.

Ripper's Street ( BBC Show ) - Portuguese author/professor Joao Barreios says that the 19th Century Victorian London is his "middle earth", obviously alluding to London as a scenario for good stories which I concur.

Comment

The next installment of Mr. Selfridge all cued up on the DVR for tonight. Last night was another enjoyable episode of Call The Midwife.
                          "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
                          'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

On my TV right now:

Space Stars

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                            - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I've started watching Six Feet Under, love it. Great humour and intelligent writing, brilliant acting. Can't beleieve it was ever green-lit given the morbid and bleak ideas it explores, glad it was.

Comment

Working...
                              X