Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Comfort TV: What Series or Shows are like comfort food to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whenever I need TV comfort, and I mean 'coming home after a hard day of getting chewed out by irate clients' comfort, I go to M.A.S.H, The Vicar of Dibley, The IT Crowd or Arrested Development. The Twilight Zone is my final refuge.

Comment

Originally posted by SeeDoubleYou View Post
      And what they're doing with Cinematic Titanic and Rifftrax, respectively, is like manna in the desert...
      now, if only they can work things out with Jim Mallon and give MST3K a kinda multiversal-reboot
      Well, even as I wrote this, Joel was already teasing just this!
      They're doing it online, says on the wikipedia that they'll get a new host and have cameos from the alumni, and here they talk about new bots; very, very cool!!
      Found this when, on a whim, I watched a rough cut of It Lives By Night on YouTube ("blowing mud") and this led to youtube videos of the Turkey Day marathon DVDs they've been releasing with the new intros and segments with Joel, and Trace and Josh doing Crow and Servo. After some time, I eventually searched on Google "mst3k reboot" and, viola!
      So, truly, a multiversal-reboot; the Eternal Champion reincarnate!
      sigpic

Comment

Just watched the SKY TV miniseries, Terry Pratchett's Hogfather, again. Based on his Discworld novel of the same name. A very neat piece of storytelling, both the novel & the series. Great characters with some spot on casting, however eccentric the performance. Also with a profound moral, very Pratchett.

Now going to watch some Father Ted, for some more satirically quasi-religious comfort food
        Last edited by Pietro_Mercurios; 12-26-2020, 03:38 AM. Reason: Corrected the series title from, 'Hogswatch.'

Comment

Bake Off. Simples.

Comment

Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
            Bake Off. Simples.
            In that case, The Great British Sewing Bee & especially, The Repair Shop. Two things we actually watch together. 🙂

Comment

I LOVE the sewing bee. Repair shop a bit less: a tad too overtly and deliberately sentimental.

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro_Mercurios View Post
                ...The Great British Sewing Bee ...
                Have you seen the Sewing Bee's 2020 New Year's Special Edition? A celebrity special that I genuinely enjoyed. A rare thing indeed!

Comment

Missed it. It'll probably come round again, I'll keep an eye out for it.

Comment

Just watched an episode of one of my favourite TV comfort series, Lovejoy. From season 2, Montezuma's Revenge. It's got everything. Cursed golden pre-Columbian artefacts, greasers on motorbikes, crooked managers of death metal bands & exotic femme fatales. Picaresque whimsy of the first order.

Comment

I only watched each Lovejoy about two times, I think, maybe three on a couple episodes. They would be fun to watch again!

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

The Big Band Theory and Young Sheldon. I used to love Everybody hates Chris then it was available for me on Amazon prime. I started watching it but I could not cope with the stories because I read they pretty much reflect Chris Rock's life's suffering as a kid and I simply could not find it funny. Although it as Terry Crews and other amazing comedians.
                        "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                        "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Mrs. EverKing and I usually go back to "How I Met Your Mother" although she also drops in "Downton Abbey" and "Call the Midwife" for comfort shows. For me, I tend to end up back on shows I remember watching in the 80's and 90's..."Magnum P.I." and "Highlander: The Series" chief among them.
                          "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                          --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Working...
                          X