Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Comfort TV: What Series or Shows are like comfort food to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comfort TV: What Series or Shows are like comfort food to you?

Do you have an old stand by television series to watch now and then?

What Television series, shows and/or TV documentaries do you take comfort in watching.

(or throw on TV to view while eating snacks)

Which TV series and shows do you watch repeatedly over the years?

Which ones have you watched over and over again during the last five years?

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Buffy
    Life on Earth (almost any David A aka God)
    Columbo
    Babylon 5

Comment

I would love to see Babylon 5 again. Maybe if it is, or will be, on Blu-Ray DVD, I will get it and watch it all over again. I am tempted to stream them on Amazon. I sold my regular DVDs of them, but I plan to get them again.

My Comfort Television Series:

(There are many actually, but just to name a few, make that-to name a bunch!, that come to mind right now...)

The X-Files
      Stargate: Atlantis
      Stargate: SG1
      Star Trek
      Star Trek: TAS
      Deep Space 9
      The Next Generation
      Enterprise
      Voyager (to go back and forth through the Treks)
      Deadwood
      Rome
      Space 1999
      Battlestar Galactica (original series)
      Buck Rogers in the 25th Century
      Forever Knight
      Highlander the Series (even though I have not watched them in quite some time, just a couple when Netflix had the episodes)

I would imagine that list come as no surprise.....

Oh! I should get around to (again) watching The Planet of the Apes Television Series!

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I don't watch much television, but when I do it is usually family time.

Firefly
        Doctor Who
        Modern Family

I watched Babylon 5 religiously through the Shadow Wars. Afterwards it seemed to get bogged down to me, but I had turned a couple of friends onto it and continued to watch it with them.

Many of my comfort television is older non-sci-fi shows.
        The A-Team- watching now I realize that it is pretty damn cheesy and each episode is the same plot, but Hannibal and Murdock make the show for me.

Magnum P.I.- Still great stuff. The writers of the show were top notch(IMO). It still entertains me. Tom Selleck and John Hillerman were the best on television at the time.

SpongeBob- Hey I have two kids (at least that's my excuse). Sometime in the late 90's this cartoon toppled Scooby-Doo from the top of my list as the all time greatest cartoon series.
        I('d) tell you all, we are young at the end of this cycle, and there may be no rest even when we are done.- Devin Townsend

Comment

In no particular order...

The Avengers (primarily the Diana Rigg years)
          Doctor Who (the Tom Baker years)
          Fawlty Towers
          Blackadder
          Monty Python's Flying Circus
          Keeping Up Appearances
          Doc Martin
          As Time Goes By
          Are You Being Served?
          The Office (original BBC series)
          Extras
          "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
          'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

Ones i always dip in and out of are-

Ripping Yarns
            Twin Peaks
            House of Cards(the early 90s one)
            Red Dwarf
            Survivors
            UFO
            Captain Scarlet
            Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin
            Space 1999
            Fireball XL5
            And last but certainly by no means least....Top Cat(Boss Cat)
            "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
              Ones i always dip in and out of are-

Ripping Yarns
              Twin Peaks
              House of Cards(the early 90s one)
              Red Dwarf
              Survivors
              UFO
              Captain Scarlet
              Space 1999
              Fireball XL5
              And last but certainly by no means least....Top Cat(Boss Cat)
              Nice!

Twin Peaks was excellent. I sold my box set to get other DVDs, though. -but now with streaming, I can always look them up. The U.S. Netflix has it or had it.

House of Cards was really great, I only got to see it a couple of years ago, due to Netflix. I was into it big time.

Red Dwarf was intelligent and funny, did not get to watch most of those until the DVDs came out. They're in my closet, I think. The Blade Runner spoof was also great. The new series may be out.....

UFO, I enjoyed, went through once.

Those ones like Captain Scarlet, Fireball XL5 and Thunderbirds I'd like to get sometime, Thunderbirds-I did watch a few of those in youth.

The rest, I should check out too.
              ---------

There are still a few nostalgic shows still not officially on DVD.

The Avengers are in my book case.

Doctor Who- Still looking to watch ones that I've missed, excited to have something good that is an unfinished quest to look forward to viewing.

Blackadder- Goes Forth and Christmas are awesome!

Monty Python's Flying Circus- Their largest box set, (which appears small), is on my other shelf, on top by The Persuaders and Dad's Army (They don't like it up 'em!).

Columbo- Have it my cabinet, watch it especially for Shatner, Martin Landau, Patrick McGoohan and Roddy McDowall.

Firefly- I gave multiple viewings.

I didn't list The Wild Wild West, but watched some the other day.

One of these days I need to watch two seasons of War of the Worlds.

I might have to excavate Baa Baa Black Sheep and The Rat Patrol from a closet.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Mystery Science Theater 3000; a friend introduced me to this joy back in 6th grade (as all kids are, I pretended at first [or maybe continued] that I already knew what the show was), when they switched to Sci-Fi channel, and I never looked back..."changed my life" is, perhaps, too light a phrase and certainly an understatement. I really don't know where my life would be without this hilarity.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SeeDoubleYou View Post
                  Mystery Science Theater 3000; a friend introduced me to this joy back in 6th grade (as all kids are, I pretended at first [or maybe continued] that I already knew what the show was), when they switched to Sci-Fi channel, and I never looked back..."changed my life" is, perhaps, too light a phrase and certainly an understatement. I really don't know where my life would be without this hilarity.
                  It was great, SeeDoubleYou!

I loved Mystery Science Theater 3000's Turkey Day!

Watching Ator was something special.

The Cave Dwellers!

Mystery Science Theater 3000 was a beacon of illumination during a time when cable TV and television itself was still climbing out of the primal ooze during the early stage of television show and series evolution.

It was a breakout event that really connected to the audience.

Decades in TV were definitive for sure:

50's formed some really great stuff. Old West. Maverick and Bat Masterson.
                  60's created a most excellent intelligent assortment. Spy. Space. War. Undersea. Psychedelic. With reflections of politics, music and life in the 1960's Incredible stuff in the UK as well as the U.S.
                  70's anything went on, tried a wide variety, funky, mysterious. Funny and bizarre. Cars/Trucks. Police. Buck Rogers. -etc. Also, In Search Of!
                  80's were so very unique. Science. Action. More Space. The influence of Japan. Mtv. Everything.
                  90's kind of stalled about halfway through. (except The X-Files and Star Trek spin offs) Forever Knight. Sliders. Highlander.

For me, there was a bit of a gap.

2004 Deadwood invented the modern age.
                  Since then, there have been some good, some bad, many quickly forgotten.
                  -but creative in character material, writing and camera work.

Plus the Age of HD and Instant Video.

(the best thing about HD is watching old stuff now being big and clear! imho)

Drawback? - Many of the things in TV series as well as character elements, interaction and problems are basically the same.

Also the 2010's are the Age of Ultra-Sex.

In addition, some things count on the viewer having seen various other movies and series.

Conclusion: Nothing like the powerhouses that we have received from the 1950's through 2001 TV series Era. {too many good ones to list here} (plus all the fantastic cartoons, wow!)

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

And what they're doing with Cinematic Titanic and Rifftrax, respectively, is like manna in the desert...
                    now, if only they can work things out with Jim Mallon and give MST3K a kinda multiversal-reboot
                    sigpic

Comment

They have nearly all the MST3k episodes on youtube!
                      I've been enjoying one of my favorites: Jack Frost.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                        Got the box set for my birthday so watching these right now (again).

Comment

Star Trek TNG and DS9
                          Old Twilight Zone episodes
                          X-Files
                          Buffy

Comment

X-Files, Fringe, Battlestar Galactica, Simpsons, Farscape, Babylon Five, Quantum Leap, Stargate SG1.

Family wise ( if the family actually liked sci-fi) would be Terra Nova

Old things I like a lot: MAcGyver, Cheers and Magnum

Family wise: Friends, Disney Channel, Disney XD
                            "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                            "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Recently I've been watching Doctor Who, Fourth Doctor & Romana II. Star Trek TOS is always good, and Monty Python's Flying Circus.
                              Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Working...
                              X