Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Jerry Springer The Opera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry Springer The Opera

Of course, non-UK readers may never have heard of the opera before, but the BBC has run in to a bit of "bovver" with some religious viewers over their decision to show the "boundary-breaking" musical.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...io/4152433.stm

Personally I'd like to see it, because it was written by people with a very good comedy pedigree, but that's about as strong as my feelings on the subject get.
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Whenever I see the word 'blasphemy' on demonstrators' placards, I get worried. Muddling their modern stages with the Middle Ages, that's what they are. Eejits.

Comment

Anyway, I thought God created religion to provide material for comedy writers? No?

Comment

Personally, I think that the real Jerry Springer should be dipped in boiling chip fat, but that's not based on any strong religious beliefs.

I'll be watching the Timewatch programme about 'Britain's X Files: UFO's over Britain' that's on before it.

Of course, the BBC should still be free to show the Jerry Springer Musical, if they want to.

Comment

Ooh, yeah. I've posted somewhere about how I used to live in Ilkley (LGM sighting) Todmorden (abducted policeman) and frequently ran along the Meanwood Ridge (UFO landing). I saw plenty of otherworldly types, but they were mostly students. I'd like to see a New England 'scare' airship personally - an unidentified out-of-date technological craft turning up out of era. Cool. Aeroflot are the nearest I've come to it.

>Ahem!< Sorry, Dee. Back to JS.

Comment

Originally posted by Perdix
            Muddling their modern stages with the Middle Ages, that's what they are. Eejits.
            I heard on the radio a couple of days ago, that Tony Blair had "been an Eejit all week", then I realised that they'd said "been in Egypt all week" My mistake.

I'm sure they had it right the first time ;)

1)The more Opera written in the SAME LANGUAGE as the target audience the better.

2)The more NEW Opera (and Ballet) written about MODERN SUBJECTS the better.

3)I would much rather a piece of Art or Music I'd written offended a whole bunch of people than for it to be ignored.
            \"It got worse. He needed something to cure himself. What? he asked. M-A 19 he answered.\"

Comment

I saw it in the Summer, and it's absolutely fantastic. David Soul as Jerry is quite uncanny. The amount of publicity from the TV version is highly amusing and they're all talking about it in the pubs tonight! The religious part is Act Two, including a superb fuck you spat between Satan and Jesus. Fifty Hail Marys for me for mentioning that. Mary also had a great solo moment, and Adam and Eve also make a memorable appearence. I strongly recommend it, particularly for all the Athiests out there.

I love the music, it's constantly on my stereo at the moment. Don't know what my neighbours think of all the swearing, especially in deepest darkest Surrey. What also amuses me is the supposed amount of fucks in the Opera, which is meant to be over 3,000 8O and c**ts, about 200 odd. A slight exaggeration - I'm sure it's under a hundred.

Comment

MissDreamy! Remember where you are! This is Surrey, you know!!!
                I went to Esher by accident today. God Almighty. I didn't hear a f**k or a c**t all the time I was there, which is funny when you think that the place is full of f**king c**ts!

...Hail Mary, Full of Grace...
                ad nauseam...

Comment

I'd love to see Jerry Springer the Musical. I'm hoping to get a friend to tape it for me.
                  Yes, I heard some of the objectors on radio today. One of them was asked why he hadn't demonstrated outside the theatre when it was on (clearly he hadn't seen it) and he replied that people had a choice about going to the theatre to see it. Um, said the reporter, don't you have a choice about whether or not to switch it on ?
                  My guess is that, typically, very few of the people who say their faith is offended by the show have seen it, just as few people who objected to Rushdie's book had read it. Par for the course.
                  I'm always surprised that people's faith is so weak they can't leave such issues to their God to sort out. If their faith was stronger, they wouldn't have to stand outside Broadcasting House (or wherever it's coming from) with their anoraks buttoned against the cold.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                  The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                  Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                  The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                  Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                    I'm always surprised that people's faith is so weak they can't leave such issues to their God to sort out. If their faith was stronger, they wouldn't have to stand outside Broadcasting House (or wherever it's coming from) with their anoraks buttoned against the cold.
                    I think they see themselves as instruments of "God's" will, and the offending material as a test of faith.

Comment

To be fair to the protestors (why I want to be, I don't know), the difference between the theatre production and a showing on the BBC is that Licence Fee Payers' money has now gone towards its broadcast... presumably they don't want their money being used in this way. But I pay my licence fee too, and I want to see it... so, that argument sort of cancels itself out really.

And again, it's the old moral protest dilemna: If they hadn't caused a fuss about it, the show wouldn't have made the news again, and I wouldn't have mentioned it here. That's why it's usually a bad idea to protest against a play or film. It just creates free publicity.

But as you say, if the material is a "test of faith", they should at least watch it first. I mean, Jesus did hear what the Devil had to say before turning him down.
                      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

At least that old vampire Mary Whitehouse isn't around anymore, or doubtless she'd be throwing her oar in about this. Never really forgave her for having Doctor Who pulled from the air in 1986. When it came back it was never the same....

Funny how the christian moral minority are always ready to preach to others about toleration, but are never prepared to practice it themselves. These sort of 'moral panics' turn ordinarily quite reasonable people into the modern day equivalent of a torch bearing mob.

It doesn't matter that they haven't seen the production - because they know someone who knows someone who saw it and said it was awful. Its bizarre why people get fixated on a single programme - its not like the TV is stuck on that channel....

An interesting dimension to this which hasn't been mentioned so far - is that these people are not just interested in getting the show off the air to ease their own moral conscience - they believe they have a duty to stop other people from seeing it.... Of course it always backfires - and more people end up watching the show just to see what all the controversy is about.
                        Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Interesting how the Christian Right are drawing succour from other faiths - eg Sikhs, Muslims - who have staged similar protests with more sympathy from the liberal left due to the racism angle. Personally I don't think its good to identify ethnic groups by their "faith". I wouldn't want a priest speaking for me - can we be sure that Asians are well represented by a mullah?

However - everyone should be treated equally - how about starting by repealing the medieval "blasphemy" laws? Blair will never do this, as he has seen the potential for getting religious people to provide social services on a voluntary basis.

I never would have thought of watching "Jerry Springer", but now I will, and I'm sure the "silent majority" who don't want to be dictated to by bigots will want to as well. An own goal for the Christians? :twisted:
                          \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

I'm getting a friend to tape it for me in the UK. I, too, wouldn't have known about it had it not been for the protestors. You sometimes wonder if the producers don't whip up that kind of protest in order to get the extra publicity. It's worked a treat, if that's the case. I had to buy
                            several copies of Satanic Verses for Muslim friends -- found a cheap remaindered book I could take the jacket off and put it round the Rushdie book -- and send it to the Middle East and North Africa. They all read it, found it boring and inoffensive. Clearly those who began the fatwah had not read the book, either. Ever thus.

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

One of these days I'd like to gather a bunch of friends, make some placards and demonstrate outside the BBC complaining that the broadcasting of Choral Evensong is offensive to my secularism.
                              Never seems to happen, does it ? Of course, I enjoy Choral Evensong, so I wouldn't be able to work up much of a snit. I usually imagine those poor buggers bobbing around in the sea and clinging to a bit of cross-shaped wreckage. In fact I have no problem with that image. It's when they start whacking away at the world with cross-shaped hammers that I get upset. Always seems a sign of true lunacy when people get aggressive about demanding you share their view of the world. I'm not against commonly arrived at laws and constitutions, of course, but again they seem to be the result of debate, not desperation.

Comment

Working...
                              X