Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Best Animated / Anime Series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Animated / Anime Series?

In no particular order:

1) Teen Titans

2) Gargoyles

3) Cybersix

4) The Real Ghostbusters

5) Beck -- Mongolian Chop Squad
    Last edited by dreeness; 06-06-2012, 10:03 PM.
    The Ralph Retort

Being a father of two kids makes me watch a ton of animated series. My favorites will always be the latest animated series of Batman, Superman and The Justice League. But I have become a big fan of Batman the Brave and the bold, Ben 10, Teen Titans ( quite of a great show ), Clone Wars, and there is a new one called Adventure Time that's totally insane, nonsensical, post modern and hilarious. In a "post apocalyptical" world full of magic, two friends fight the evil powers in their own ways.
    "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
    "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

My favorites that are available on some sort of TV at the current time or at least in the near past

Sekirei
      Shikabane Hime
      Infinite Stratos
      Princess Resurection
      Bleach
      FMA Brotherhood
      Ghost in the Shell (movie and all its TV permutations)
      Basilisk

I was starting to get in to Fairy Tale but Verizon gave Funimation the chop before I saw enough to really judge.

Of course for American animation nothing can beat the old Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies (not the new crap they've since put out) especially anything by Tex Avery. That man definitely had some warped gears in his head.
      herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

I loved Ghost In The Shell the films. Excellent and superb post-cyberpunk ( I knew that post-cyberpunk existed as a genre some weeks ago, so this is the first time I mention it :-) )
        "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
        "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

(I like to watch all sorts of supernatural/occult anime, but at the same time it makes me think that Japan must be... extremely haunted, or something. They must need a periodic table to keep track of all the demons, ghosts, monsters, and all the other horrible entities that must be running around.)

I liked the Ghost in the Shell things, they were all so hyper-energetic and the dialogue in particular was insane. Also all the surveillance and paranoia, and the general manic tone of it all.

And of course we mustn't forget the animated adventures of a certain albino hero, and his amusing sidekick:

(Many episodes of both Teen Titans and Ben 10 were written by Amy Wolfram, probably the best writer for that genre, in my opinion.)

Invader Zim was a hilarious sort of surreal cartoon X Files, very popular at the time.

Untalkative Bunny: Unspeakably funny!

There is a series called Young Justice which is a bit like Justice League or a darker Teen Titans, it's been quite good so far. Also right now there is a new "chibi" series of comedy Teen Titans shorts.

Which you can read about here:
          tgnmemory.freeforums.org • View topic - NEW! Teen Titans shorts in 2012
          The Ralph Retort

Comment

I was a big fan of the horror/suernatural/demon type anime at first myself but have learned to appreciate more forms of it. Probably the only genre I'm not really in to is the big mecha stuff tho there are even some versions of that I like (Broken Blade). One form I didn't think I would like is the stuff set more in modern times without the supernatural trappings such as Ouran Host Club but watching shows like that with my daughter made me realize some of them are farly good.

Forgot to add a series to my favorites, H.O.T.D. or Highschool of the Dead. Zombies, violence, comedy, boobs and some great dialogue, what's not to like.
            herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

Comment

Highschool of the Dead is on the list of things I've been meaning to catch up with, an ever-increasing list of things I'm afraid.

One anime I was somewhat disappointed with was Death Note, I thought it was really just okay, not hysteria-inducing incredible like it was hyped up to be. It was... clever, but perhaps not a work of genius.

(I have a friend who constantly writes about FMA Brotherhood on her blog, she also has an eidetic memory, so it's often a bit scary to read because she remembers every microscopic detail.)

Hetalia, very quirky and funny.

Just to mention some more non-anime things:

Hanna-Barbera in general

Oum Le Dauphin

Bakshi's episodes of Spider-Man
              The Ralph Retort

Comment

My daughter loves Death Note but while I liked the earlier episodes it got a bit too strange and twisted for me me as it progressed.

I recommend HOTD, it's a scream. Right now there is only a 12 episode version out that I know of but considering it left some things kind of hanging I figure it will be continued somewhere along the line if it is as popular in Japan as it seems to be in the US. As I said in another thread it seems the first printing of the hardcover omnibus edition of the manga sold out and at a list @ about $50 a pop and a second printing is out already. Also we were watching it one night and my daughter qouted a line from it in a chatroom she was in and a number of people knew what anime she was watching just from that line. Depending on the creator's mood as time goes by it could be the next Bleach or Naruto for longevity or at least them and FMA for popularity.
                herb

Comment

Originally posted by dreeness View Post
                  There is a series called Young Justice which is a bit like Justice League or a darker Teen Titans, it's been quite good so far. Also right now there is a new "chibi" series of comedy Teen Titans shorts.

Which you can read about here:
                  tgnmemory.freeforums.org • View topic - NEW! Teen Titans shorts in 2012
                  Yeah, I really loved it. Some months ago we had a Young Justice marathon and my kids and I watched it during all Sunday on Cartoon Network.

My favorite Teen Titans episode is that one where the villain transforms their city onto a 60s psychedelic London.

Comment

Detroit Rock City (?) was a pretty good spin of a guy who wanted to be in a pop band but became a star in a heavy metal band.

The movie wasn't as good as the anime or the manga.
                    There was also 20th century boy which was a little weird but entertaining.

Comment

Damn Cartoon Network!

Fans Outraged at Cartoon Network Preempting DC Nation - CSICON, Home of Geek Culture

!!
                      The Ralph Retort

Comment

Neon genesis evangelion that was just epic. I also like galaxy express 999

Comment

I've always enjoyed Hokuto no ken or Fist of the North Star in English.

Comment

Originally posted by Conrad View Post
                            I've always enjoyed Hokuto no ken or Fist of the North Star in English.
                            I like that too

Comment

Séries TV

Ulysse 31,
                              Gargoyles,
                              Cobra (Space adventure),
                              Arzak Rhapsody,

Les Mystérieuses Cités d'or (The Mysterious Cities of Gold).
                              Papi

Comment

Working...
                              X