Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Time Out Of Mind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Out Of Mind

This is going back a long time, but back in the early 1980s the BBC had a series called Time Out Of Mind (I think that was the title) dealing with science fiction. They had programmes devoted to various authors - John Brunner, J. G. Ballard and of course Michael Moorcock.

I saw the Moorcock programme twice (it was repeated later) and have only vague memories of it now after over twenty years but the programme dealt with Michael's writing, New Worlds and also M. John Harrison was featured quite prominently too.

If I'd had a VCR at the time I would have taped it. I've always wanted to see the programme again. Does anyone else remember it, have access to it...?
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Does no-one remember it....?
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Comment

No, but it sounds like something BBC4 should be persuaded to repeat. Now all I need is a dish!
      \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

BBC4 should repeat it. It would be better than a lot of stuff they put on. You don't need a dish to get BBC4, just one of those Freeview boxes that cost about آ£40 now.

Comment

Sorry... I'm still trying to get Cox Cable to broadcast BBC America so I can get the new Dr Who series....

Comment

Originally posted by Aral Vilsn
            BBC4 should repeat it. It would be better than a lot of stuff they put on. You don't need a dish to get BBC4, just one of those Freeview boxes that cost about آ£40 now.
            Well, that depends on your region. We can't get Freeview in my corner of Dorset, which is rather annoying because I can't hear any of the digital radio stations and I'm really starting to get bored of the analogue ones. :(
            I was never a big fan of Dr Who, but there's something about Billie Piper that puts me off it from the outset. I know everyone will disagree with me, but it might have been nice to play with the conventions a little... perhaps have a female time traveller for a change... called Una... with a really cool coat... ooops, no I was thinking of something else there! Sorry. But Christopher Eccleston is always worth watching, so I'll probably look in for the first episode at least.

D...
            "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Damn, that whole series sounds worth pursuing! The three authors you mention are all keepers.
              My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Aral Vilsn said:
                and DCS replied. I'm in the same boat, as we rural yokels are not regarded as important enough to have the benefits of 24-hour children's tv to. I'm in a double-bind actually, as last time I tried to have a dish fitted, I was told there were too many trees in the way (they surround the house like a gang of unfriendly Ents). I'd rather Freeview than Murdochvision anyway, but guess I'll just have to wait. If you get it, I'd appreciate a tape though!

If Billie plays the assistant, could the next incarnation of the Doc be Chris Evans, and then we could maroon him in Gallifray without his sonic screwdriver? :D Or has this already happened?

Comment

Originally posted by zakt
                  If Billie plays the assistant, could the next incarnation of the Doc be Chris Evans, and then we could maroon him in Gallifray without his sonic screwdriver? :D Or has this already happened?
                  The problem would be getting him to save the universe on a Friday. He'd just pout, storm off and get insanely drunk with a premier league footballer... what good is that going to do against the Daleks?

D...
                  "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

He could wait for the Daleks at the top of the flight of stairs, and then when they are gabbling excitedly to each other at the bottom, wondering what to do (as ever), push Gazza down the stairs towards them, Barnes-Wallis-stylee. I might actually watch it if it ever happens.

Comment

I have a new idea for a game... bowing for Daleks...

Comment

T.V.

It would be better than a lot of stuff they put on.
                        No matter what country you live in I think, modern television sucks goat droppings.

And I wish my local cable service would offer BBC America on standard expanded cable. Upgrading to digital is just a wee bit expensive for me.

Comment

Working...
                        X