Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

Hawkwind - The Chronicle of the Black Sword (album review ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawkwind - The Chronicle of the Black Sword (album review ...

Hawkwind - The Chronicle of the Black Sword (album review ...

For those of you reading this who haven't already heard of Elric of Melnibonأ©, or indeed its author Michael Moorcock, read on. If so, feel free to scroll down to the ...
    sputnikmusic.com/.../Hawkwind-The-Chronicle-of-the-Black-...

More...

... 'Needle Gun', a song referring to the main weapon of many of Elric's enemies throughout the eight novels...
    Erm... , well whatever; it's a review anyway!

Comment

Michael Moorcock is a Sci-Fi/Fantasy author who has made collaborations with other bands such as Hawkwind, Gong, and so on.
      Gong? I've never heard or seen mention of Mike either playing or writing with them.

Unless, of course, he is Professor Sharpstrings, Bloomdido Bad de Grasse, Keith 'The Missile' Bass or Kif Kif Le Bateur.

I'm pretty sure he's not Shakti Yoni as that's Gilli Smyth and she's a girl!

As Rothgo says,
      Erm... , well whatever; it's a review anyway!
      Let me tell you a story 'bout a poor boy....

Comment

Originally posted by porcus_volans View Post
        Gong? I've never heard or seen mention of Mike either playing or writing with them.
        Yeah, Mike features quite heavily as a writer and performer on the album The Final Cup of Tea, in which Zero the Hero discovers that the whole Planet Gong thing was trick perpetrated by the Octave Doctors. The Octave Doctors, in turn, are revealed to be Frank Cornelius and Miss Brunner who have raised an army of pothead pixies by means of some arcane devices invented by Jerry's late father.

Joining forces, Zero and Jerry attack Frank and Brunner's fortress by means of a flying teapot; the spout of which, Jerry has modified into a vibragun. The album ends with them defeating their enemies, who surrender by singing a psychedelic version of AC/DC's 'You Shook Me All Night Long'.

Musically, the whole thing's a bit of a let-down. I mean, I like Mike's stuff with The Deep Fix, but how anybody ever thought he could be a suitable replacement for Steve Hillage...

Comment

Damn! How could I have missed that? I thought I had all the Gong albums. Anyone know where I can find a copy as it's not on Amazon?
          Let me tell you a story 'bout a poor boy....

Comment

It is difficult to get hold of, because it only ever received a limited release on the bullshit label...

Comment

That synopsis sounds awfully like the plot to Mike's short story 'Hawkwind Zoo', btw. I guess it wouldn't be the first time Mike's recycled his work to bypass the courts (rightly assuming that material which catches the eye in one medium might slip by unnoticed in another).
              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I doubt the legal angle David, else the profuse sleeve* notes would have been a bit of a give-away.

Nice to see a credit going to Balamorey in there too, who, though the program didn't exist at the time, went on to cover many of these tracks in their final Christmas special.

*On the gatefold LP edition

Comment

Zarozinia - Chords?

Hello there people
                  I dont suppose anyone could help me, I'v been scouring the internet for the chords for the song Zarozinia by Hawkind of the Black Sword album..
                  if anyone knows them, or where to get them I would be eternally gratefull.
                  Peace and love
                  Sam

Comment

Uncle Des is your man.

In the multiverse: here you go.

Des has posted many more here and also at Huw LL Guitar Tabs

Comment

Thanks for the plug, Rothgo!

Des
                      Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

Working...
                      X