Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Nik Turner's Space Ritual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nik Turner's Space Ritual

Aaargh!

There's a Nik Turner recording doing the rounds in 'SharingTheGroove' just now (for BitTorrent users) - get in while it's hot - plenty of seeds.

Best I've ever heard them.

Details taken from the introductory text file (I've added times):

Title:- Made in Japan
    Tokyo, Shibuya, 17th March 1996
    Sound quality: A+
    File Size:- 845.6MB
    FLAC-compressed WAV files

The Band
    Nik Turner, Simon House, Del Detmar, Alan Powell, Len Del Rio
    Tommy Grenas, Paul Fox, Doran Shelley, Brandon La Belle

CD1:
    01 - Dreamweaver ---- 10:24
    02 - Watching The Grass Grow ---- 8:04
    03 - Kadu Flyer ---- 4:40
    04 - Master Of The Universe ---- 8:50
    05 - Spiral Galaxy ---- 4:53
    06 - Dying Seas ---- 4:02
    07 - Soul Herder ---- 9:27
    08 - Opa Loka 2000 ---- 5:55
    09 - Lord of the Hornets ---- 4:41
    10 - High Rise ---- 6:43

CD2:
    11 - Thoth ---- 6:21
    12 - Ejection ---- 8:31
    13 - Audio Energy ---- 4:28
    14 - Orgone Accumulator ---- 6:08
    15 - Tenth Second of Forever / Brainstorm ---- 12:13
    16 - Silver Machine ---- 9:41
    17 - You Shouldn't do That / In the Mood ---- 18:23

WHAT? BEST? and that's not very good!!
    He should stop playing and retire.He bleats that awful sounding saxophone out with endless drivel,ad lib portions of music that leave a grating noise in your head!!!
    Space Rubbish.net!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Brainstorm
      WHAT? BEST? and that's not very good!!
      He should stop playing and retire.He bleats that awful sounding saxophone out with endless drivel,ad lib portions of music that leave a grating noise in your head!!!
      Space Rubbish.net!!!!!!!!!!!
      Wow! Thanks for that amazing piece of input, Brainers!

I can tell that you have GREAT taste in music, and - as befits your name - have an IQ that's even bigger than your (undoubtedly enormous) love-truncheon.

So affected was I by your laser-guided, precise criticism of old Nik that I immediately destroyed everything I have of the tuneless old bastard - and that's a lot!

Thanks again.

PS
      Can I have a sample of your brain-tissue?

Comment

Gotta agree with Kroof: Nik's contribution to Hawkwind has undoubtedly been infinitely more valuable than Brock's. Who else would dare to appear in skin-tight leotard with beer-gut, shuffle round the stage like a superannuated shaman, and rework the best of his old tunes to make them unlistenable? Nik's stand against the corporate rock-machine is ingenious. By alienating all but the most tone-deaf of Hawkwind devotees, he ensures that he will never again have to accept dirty money from the multi-nationals. Nice one.
        \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

Originally posted by zakt
          Who else would dare to appear in skin-tight leotard with beer-gut, shuffle round the stage like a superannuated shaman
          Right fucking on!!!

Before I read the Mighty Brain's awesome review of the sartorially-challenged old fool, I used to think that his dress-sense was top-notch. In fact, I wanted to be him.

Now the blinkers are off. Now I see him for what he really is. Nik Turner - damn your black heart. Damn your eyes! Damn your britches!

Originally posted by zakt
          and rework the best of his old tunes to make them unlistenable? Nik's stand against the corporate rock-machine is ingenious. By alienating all but the most tone-deaf of Hawkwind devotees, he ensures that he will never again have to accept dirty money from the multi-nationals. Nice one.
          It's all clear to me now. As clear as an unmuddied lake under an azure sky. I will never forgive him.

Comment

Who else would dare to appear in skin-tight leotard with beer-gut, shuffle round the stage like a superannuated shaman, and rework the best of his old tunes to make them unlistenable?
            Julian Cope?

Comment

Originally posted by Jules
              Who else would dare to appear in skin-tight leotard with beer-gut, shuffle round the stage like a superannuated shaman, and rework the best of his old tunes to make them unlistenable?
              Julian Cope?
              Yeah . . . . but Jools doesn't have any "best" old tunes to rework. Well - maybe some. A couple. One, then.

Comment

Damn,
                I've been routed by the N.Turner appreciation society,help,please... :lol: :lol:
                So ok,he was ok on Space Ritual :lol: but that's all i'm conceding! 8O 8O :? 8O 8O

Comment

Re: Nik Turner's Space Ritual

Hello Kroof Rudy, can you send me the link to get a copy of this show? I don't even have a copy of the Tokyo show, just the Osaka one. Thanks, [email protected] :D quote="Kroof Rudy"]Aaargh!

There's a Nik Turner recording doing the rounds in 'SharingTheGroove' just now (for BitTorrent users) - get in while it's hot - plenty of seeds.

Best I've ever heard them.

Details taken from the introductory text file (I've added times):

Title:- Made in Japan
                  Tokyo, Shibuya, 17th March 1996
                  Sound quality: A+
                  File Size:- 845.6MB
                  FLAC-compressed WAV files

The Band
                  Nik Turner, Simon House, Del Detmar, Alan Powell, Len Del Rio
                  Tommy Grenas, Paul Fox, Doran Shelley, Brandon La Belle

CD1:
                  01 - Dreamweaver ---- 10:24
                  02 - Watching The Grass Grow ---- 8:04
                  03 - Kadu Flyer ---- 4:40
                  04 - Master Of The Universe ---- 8:50
                  05 - Spiral Galaxy ---- 4:53
                  06 - Dying Seas ---- 4:02
                  07 - Soul Herder ---- 9:27
                  08 - Opa Loka 2000 ---- 5:55
                  09 - Lord of the Hornets ---- 4:41
                  10 - High Rise ---- 6:43

CD2:
                  11 - Thoth ---- 6:21
                  12 - Ejection ---- 8:31
                  13 - Audio Energy ---- 4:28
                  14 - Orgone Accumulator ---- 6:08
                  15 - Tenth Second of Forever / Brainstorm ---- 12:13
                  16 - Silver Machine ---- 9:41
                  17 - You Shouldn't do That / In the Mood ---- 18:23[/quote]

Comment

Re: Nik Turner's Space Ritual

Originally posted by lendelrio
                    Hello Kroof Rudy, can you send me the link to get a copy of this show? I don't even have a copy of the Tokyo show, just the Osaka one.
                    Alas, 'StG':

http://www.sharingthegroove.org/

. . . Has been up & down - mostly down - for the past few weeks. Seems they're having lots of database problems.

Mind you, even if the site was up, the phrase "get in while it's hot" was important - it's 2 months old, now.

Comment

A Question of Rock

Hi everybody, I have just read your comments on Nik Turner. I was wondering what all of your angles are...why you all seem to show such hatred towards him. He’s just a humble and generous man who seems to of made something of himself. I can’t help pondering how you all can justify your comments.

Feel free to reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Kraveki View Post
                        Hi everybody, I have just read your comments on Nik Turner. I was wondering what all of your angles are...why you all seem to show such hatred towards him. He’s just a humble and generous man who seems to of made something of himself. I can’t help pondering how you all can justify your comments.

Feel free to reply.
                        I don't hate him, I just wish he would concede with a bit more grace that he was only a member of the band for 6 years, and that his input during that time was less than Dave Brock's. Brock kept the band going for another 14 or so years before NT started hitching his pension to the name. NT's input in the 80s was almost completely negative, and whilst SpaceRitual are better than they might have been, their set is still lethargic compared to the Brock band. Claims to authenticity on the part of Dave Anderson, Thomas Crible and even Terry Ollis are a bit thin when you consider they all left (or were pushed from) the original band very early. See in particular the Night of the Hawks video for reasons not to adore Mr Turner. Silly old fool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
                          Julian Cope?
                          Eh... No, I saw the Copemeister last year and his set was pretty blistering.

Comment

The Mighty Thunder-Honker & co. are performing Space Ritual 09 under the pseudonym of HAWKLORDS.
                            Strange choice of names considering that Nik was never a member of that particular manifestation of the band.
                            He was however in M. Butterworth's novel Time Of The Hawklords.

http://www.nikturner.com/

I hope they can tastefully live up to the name.

Comment

I preferred his Inner City Unit stuff.
                              I wish he could get that band back together,that would be a gig worth seeing.
                              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Working...
                              X