Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Heavy Metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy Metal

Our heavy metal thread was lost due to hacking. But I'm curious... how many fans do we have out there? I don't care which genre... I perfer Death Metal myself... but Old School metal like Hawkwind counts too.

Thanos

Fuckin' 'ell, TSS - Hawkwind "Heavy Metal"?? Heavy sounds, but no way is that perfect sound metal.
    \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

I would agree... but Blue Oyster Cult is considered to be the first heavy metal band. And if you count BOC as Heavy Metal... I think Hawkwind can be counted too.

Comment

Granted, though The Kinks and Cream are also credited with that dubious honour.

I'm more very old school, so think anything metallic done after Sabbath leaves a bit to be desired. :oops:

Comment

Old school metal: Sabbath, Motorhead
          NWOBHW: Maiden et al.

You can have nu metal and most death metal.

Comment

Oh, Metal, yeah, definately!! :D

Recently got into Black Sabbath, and Led Zepplin.

Bأ–C, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest (Ripper-era ain't bad, but Halford-era is best!), Saxon, Hammer Fall, and of course Motأ¶rhead, long time favs.

Hawkiwnd can be metal-ish, especially 'Doremi Fasol Latido,' (their first w/Lemmy), and also their '80's stuff, with Huw on lead guitar.
            Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Ok Bill... I'll take the new stuff and you can have the old. But be warned, Metal is pretty rancid to begin with, I'd hate to catch a whiff of it once it starts to rot!

Thanos

Comment

I'm with Bill on this one, not a lot outside of Old School and New Wave' takes my fancy but there's plently of old to choose from and quality metal lives forever!

I think Hawkwind goes in with Pink Floyd, ELO and stuff that's hard to place- not really "metal" but something good for sure.

I always think I don't like certain metal genres but then somebody says "What about [insert band] ?" and I say "Oh yeah, they rock!"

What about "Rock'n'Roll" as a genre? it can't just mean Little Richard et al can it?

Comment

At the risk of ripping off AC/DC, rock and roll is just rock and roll.

I think genre labels don't mean all that much. Some bands that are much more pop-rock can be heavier (at times) than some bands that call themselves metal. For example some Weezer songs are much heavier than a lot of NuMetal stuff, and much of the grunge from the 90's (like a lot of Alice in Chains- I love Dirt) is much, much heavier than some of the stuff that's supposedly metal, but I know people who would rather buy a Linkin Park CD because some record store employee put it in the metal bin, so they think it's really heavy.

By the way, Etive, your animated smileys always make me laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
                    ...some Weezer songs are much heavier than a lot of NuMetal stuff...
                    Yup! If you don't believe him, listen to Weezer's My Name is Jonas. Surprised the crap out of me the first time I heard it. It's hard, but couldn't be considered "Metal."

Originally posted by Doc
                    ...I know people who would rather buy a Linkin Park CD because some record store employee put it in the metal bin, so they think it's really heavy...
                    Well, Linkin Park is pretty heavy but it doesn't fit the Metal genre either, most likely due to the inclusion of rap in the songs.

So your point, Doc, is a good one. There seems to be a lot of overlap that greatly blurs the lines between the genres. I know plenty of die-hard metal-heads who seriously dig Linkin Park and others who find them blasphemous to what they consider "pure metal."

For me, it's easier to specify the types of music I don't like: Country and free-form Jazz. See. So much easier to delineate. :P
                    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

To me, Black Sabbath was the birth of Metal as I define it.

VH1 yesterday had the TOP 100 Metal Moments. When they have big hair bands like Bon Jovi and Winger in there, I shake my head. I think Soundgarden is more metal than those glam-fag hair farmer bands. SG did win a "best metal" grammy for Superunknown. Whatever. Well they should have won awards, whatever the label is. That's one of my all-time favorite bands.

Dave Grohl's Metal tribute project Probot is available. I just ordered it last night. It's for cheap on Amazon.com. Actual website...

http://www.southernlord.com/probot/index2.html

Probot is ok. it's nothing mind blowing.
                      Actually it's probably going to be a mediocre
                      album compared to what I consider are my favorite
                      albums.

The Cronos/Venom track is the heaviest of the
                      samples that they show. Pretty heavy, but not as
                      good as stuff I already have. I have a later Venom
                      album that sounds just as heavy with pretty good soloing
                      also.
                      The reason that it might sell well is for the nostalgia,
                      the novelty of "supergroups", and popularity of Dave Grohl.

Although I think there will be 3 or 4
                      songs I'll like (out of 12), I still ordered it, especially
                      because of the price on Amazon.com

Thanos death metal fan eh? Well for Death Metal
                      I think the pioneer bands that emerged from Earache
                      Records (UK) are a must!
                      Here are some names that must be considered:
                      Carcass, Entombed, maybe a little if not a lot of Napalm Deathand if you want something even more different, Godflesh.
                      Godflesh is one of my faves.

An ultra-heavy band that that transcended genre is Neurosis. It is
                      the greatest experimental art-metal thing that has ever existed.
                      You'd have to see the live show to get the full effect. They used
                      to have a full time visual artist. He had a rack full of equipment:
                      two slide projectors, a film projector, colored lights (and maybe more stuff that I don't know about) to project artsy psychedelic and or intense images on a white screen behind the band and on the bodies of the musicians themselves. Awesome band. They capture to a certain degree what they did on their DVD.

--Jerico
                      \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
                      Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

Radical metal?

Try early 80s punk-metal-science-fiction meisters Chrome - I have old and squeaky copies of Half Machine Lip Moves and Blood on the Moon which defy categorisation (as my attempt at it shows).

Never really got to the bottom of where they came from / went to - anyone any the wiser? :?:

Comment

A public service anouncement from Zakas and the
                          Win Back the White House campaign:

http://www.zakas.org/SODean_2004.mp3

METAL!!!!!!

YIIIIIIAAAAAH!
                          \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
                          Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
                            For me, it's easier to specify the types of music I don't like: Country and free-form Jazz. See. So much easier to delineate. :P
                            I'm like you (although I like some country-ish music--what some record stores call alt-country); it's much easier for me to identify what I dislike than what I really, really like. When you put labels on it, it just gets harder to even identify your own tastes.

And thanks for the back up on Weezer-- who knew highly educated nerds could be so cool? :)

Comment

"And thanks for the back up on Weezer-- who knew highly educated nerds could be so cool?"

Whatshisname, Rivers Cuomo was a big metalhead/KISS freak growing up (he went to high school in Connecticut) and played in several metal bands before Weezer. Good guitar player, even if it doesn't always show in Weezer.

This is going to sound stupid from a Kiss fan like me (from way back, and if you haven't seen them live in the makeup era, I would respectfully ask that you withhold your criticism), but for me the best metal is the least gimmicky metal. From Sabbath to Purple (Gillan era) to Maiden, to early Def Leppard (High'n'Dry) to early Priest (up to Screaming for Vengeance) to Alice In Chains and even Soundgarden (who both owe as much to Sabbath and Kiss as any other band you can name),
                              it loses its quality when it veers into comic-book-land (and I know that this is a tough site to use that term derogatorily).

Comment

Working...
                              X