Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

"Alternative" Music anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerico
    replied
    AUDIOSLAVE’S CHRIS CORNELL TIES THE KNOT

http://www.artisannewsservice.com/Pu...LL_MARRIED.htm

AUDIOSLAVE’S CHRIS CORNELL TIES THE KNOT

UPDATED 5/14/2004

Chris Cornell, singer for Audioslave and formerly Soundgarden is known as one of rock’s biggest heartthrobs. Earlier this week he was taken off the market. He was married last weekend in Paris the hometown of his wife, publicist Vicky Karayiannis. The singer had agent Jeff Kwatinetz as his best man, and all the members of Audioslave were in attendance. Cornell actually tied the knot in Los Angeles a few months ago in a low key ceremony soon after his divorce to Susan Silver became final.

Cornell’s nuptials were held at the Alain Ducasse restaurant at the Plaza Athenee. Cornell crooned to his bride and everyone dined on a giant six foot wedding cake, reported the New York Post.

Meanwhile, Audioslave is in the midst of making a brand new record with producer Rick Rubin in Los Angeles, and the band hopes it will be ready for release some time before the end of the year.

Leave a comment:

• Jules
    replied
    Bill - I think they've got it right though - realising it's ART, not reality - not trapping yourself in 'keeping it real'. Which isn't to advocate light entertainment - art can be provocative

Leave a comment:

• Bill
    replied
    "What's more ironic is that many young girls think Marilyn Manson is good-looking."

Bottom line is this: regardless of your tastes, beliefs, politics, or thoughts as to how things ought to be, POWER is ATTRACTIVE. The list of supposedly "good looking" celebrities who are, in fact, are not classically good looking is a mile long. Marilyn Manson, Gene Simmons (now), the list goes on...

"Furthermore, is Marilyn Manson weird? I think the real man behind the make-up is a fairly intelligent guy."

He's actually very smart; I tend to assume until proven otherwise that these guys - who push this look or culture to multi-million records sales - to be somewhat fabricated. Alice Cooper is a great example; the stage show is still as powerful and edgy as it ever was, but what does Vincent Fournier (Alice's real name) do in his down time? Hangs out in Pheonix and plays scratch golf. Not so edgy.

"If she needs anything its confidence implants. Many blokes aren't worried about breast size..."

From the perspective of a man, I think it is like anything else: big breasts are a way of getting noticed. For me personally their size isn't high on the list (isn't on the list at all), but - at least here in America - there is this burning need to be noticed. Like anything else, though, there are pros and cons. I would venture a guess that generally speaking, a man who would date a girl based solely on her bra size is not on the Top 10 Bachelor's list.

Leave a comment:

• Etive
    replied
    Reply to Jerico's long-winded post:

There are too many words and phrases to describe an infinite number of body modifications and I'm not sure everything falls neatly into a category.

Re: Piercings and tatoos

I am not against these and in fact have piercings (ears and nose). I like "body art" this includes tatooing, bodypainting, hairstyling, piercings glueing things on such as bindis, crystals, glitters, synthetic hair (I currently have 18 white streaks glued into mine with liquid latex). I haven't any permanent tatoos but love painting temporary ones. I know people who have good tatoos and people with terrible ones too.

"Cat Man":

I think I have seen a picture of him, I'm glad he has a job, I hate it when society rejects people. Some companies have strict dress codes and would not employ someone like "Cat Man" for fear of other members of staff breaking the dress code by wearing body jewellery, dyeing their hair and other such "terrible crimes".

I admire people like him and those who can talk to him like they would talk to any other person.

Ear-stretching:

Looks great in tribes e.t.c, I personally think the smaller ones are nice, but what makes me wince is the huge stretch rings that look like they're likely to catch on something!

Weird/Beautiful:

These are one and the same to some people.

Marilyn Manson:

He has his values and points to make, but in my opinion is just an irritating fuck. I find that some goths have "I'm more fucked up than you" competitions and Marilyn is rated highly in these. I wonder why they do not say Mortis is good looking, perhaps his ears are a bit more "funny" than "fucked up".

Perhaps the goths like Manson without his make-up too, or perhaps they see his confidence, confidence is beauty. There are more questions than answers, why was Iron Maidens undead mascott "Eddie" voted the sexiest dude year after year in a Heavy Metal magazine?

I don't think Mansons particularly weird, just trying too hard. His show is a shock-rock freak show similar to Alice Cooper's tactics. If only the message behind these guys would get to ALL of the fans. Many are obsessed only with the characters these men portray.

Dating:

I agree, the modifications must not dictate the attractiveness of a person.

Each to his/her own:

Of course this is right. I am not a fascist, I would only try to discourage some things and encourage people to think before taking actions. I read an article about a tatoo artist who talked to a grieving mother about the large crucifix tatoo with her dead child's name on it she wanted. It was touching how he discouraged her and suggested alternatives. The mother had a tatoo of the daughter's favourite flower instead.

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Originally posted by LEtranger
    D, we went to Sweden last year for our annual summer holiday. I tell you if you're blonde-phobic - there you'd get an absolutely lethal over-dosis! THEY ARE ALL BLONDE IN SWEDEN, it is unbelievable!
    Crikey! I've worked out that it might actually be an illustration-related issue. It's easy (and fun!) to draw brunettes, because the eye-brows are definite lines, and the hair is a thick block of black. People with lighter hair (and almost invisible eye-brows) are much less satisfying to me. I always want to colour their hair in. So, if you hear news of an English tourist being banned from Sweden for trying to paint eye-brows on innocent civilians, you'll know who was responsible!

J and J... On the subject of Marilyn Manson, I am a big fan of his music, and have been since the early 90s. Obviously he is not a pretty man, but he has an image that works for him, as you say. Of course, most famous people "become" attractive due to the cult of personality, but I also think it's fair to say that Manson puts a great deal of thought into his "look" before he ever leaves the house. As for how he is "off-stage", I get the impression that he likes to stay at home with his girlfriend, paint and collect weird curiosities... nothing especially insane. Assuming we believe what we read in the music magazines.

Either way, the man rocks, so I'm not going to call him ugly to his face.

I don't have any piercings, and I've never seriously considered getting a tattoo, despite the fact that I've always been into sub-cultures that indulge in those things. Mostly I think it's because I am a lazy coward... also I personally disapprove of people getting words and images inked on their bodies that they don't really understand. If you can't read Chinese, and the tattooist can't write Chinese, you're just asking for trouble... in my humble opinion.

D...

"I wanna race the speed of pain"

Leave a comment:

• Jules
    replied
    While not a big fan of his music, I've seen Marilyn Manson intereviewed on TV several times, and beyond the dry deliver he's very sharp. I think Jericho's right though - no evidence of any tattoos or piercings, and I expect that without the make-up he's almost unrecognisable - aside from being tall. Which is

(My Mum - who works on the kiosk where they sell the CDs in a supermarket, shocked one of the young Goth girls working there by saying that she liked Marilyn Manson - 'he's very theatrical, a bit like David Bowie was').

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    Awe man! Say it isn't true!
    Do nightmares ever become reality?

Ladies and gentlemen,

Marie Osmond!...

http://www.awfulplasticsurgery.com/archives/000564.html

If people can't learn from this, then hell will surely never feeze over!

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    In case you missed it,
    I edited my previous post
    answering Etive's question.
    Check it out.
    Maybe the thread will have
    another flurry!

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    Let's take a good look at
    some Hollywood Hotties.

http://people.aol.com/people/mg/0,18486,610616,00.html

Ag!! :x A lot of these are pretty gruesome!

Bionce looks pretty good, but
    I hardly consider that photo sans make-up.

Liv Tyler thumbs up any day.

Leave a comment:

• L'Etranger
    replied
    Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
    I know it's stretching the topic a little, and it isn't really my place to comment, but... I'm getting bored with seeing so many blondes around the place. On TV or in town, all you see is this tidal wave of blonde hair. I know that's some chaps' idea of a good time, but I just see dark eye brows and mourn for all of the brunette hair that has been bleached to within an inch of its life. The world needs more brunettes.

(shortened)

D ...
    D, we went to Sweden last year for our annual summer holiday. I tell you if you're blonde-phobic - there you'd get an absolutely lethal over-dosis! THEY ARE ALL BLONDE IN SWEDEN, it is unbelievable! My half-Hungarian (brunette) wife nearly walked up to the single other brunette we met to ask her "Mrs. Livingstone, I presume?"
    So stay away from Sweden as long as this phase lasts.
    But it is really a great country and a mistake not to visit.

L'E

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    I know it's stretching the topic a little, and it isn't really my place to comment, but... I'm getting bored with seeing so many blondes around the place. On TV or in town, all you see is this tidal wave of blonde hair. I know that's some chaps' idea of a good time, but I just see dark eye brows and mourn for all of the brunette hair that has been bleached to within an inch of its life. The world needs more brunettes.

Although there are many other really good reasons to revile Hitler and his like, the very fact that he wanted to people the earth with blondes should have forfeited him the right to rule from the outset.

Sorry, I've been for a walk in the sun, and the blood doesn't flow to my brain on hot days.

D...

[edit]

Ooh, actually, since this thread started being about Kurt and Courtney, the blonde thing does almost tie in. "Come, soaked in bleach!"

Leave a comment:

• L'Etranger
    replied
    Originally posted by Etive
    RE: Corrective surgery

I have a broken nose from playing rugby at school. Sometimes people say I should get it "fixed" but I only ever consider it when I knock it and get migraines.

The thing is, if I did get it restored I wouldn't look like me any more, I think that'd be freaky. I don't trust a surgeon to not try and make me look more beautiful.

Nobody points and laughs at me, but if I do have surgery it'll be CORRECTIVE not COSMETIC.

I don't think that a girl who has been bullied about the size of her bust should have implants, this is not corrective. If she needs anything its confidence implants.
    (shortened)
    Just what I think.
    I can only support any person, female or male, to also trust in his/her own strengths and attractivity. Haha - "looking like yourself" is not exactly helping the industry. Individualism doesn't pay the cosmetic, surgical and fashion industries - and the big advertising companies! They employ highly skilled, highly payed strategists and campaigners to convince young people they need this and this stuff or have to look like whatever they want to sell next. Currently, they are obviously also targetting girls and young women very heavily to buy cigarettes.
    A most hideous element I see much emphasised currently in commercial campaigns is ENVY. They now try to sell you things, because "your neighbour," or "the others" will envy you, or at least "wonder how you did/do it" ! How does her hair stay beautiful after working 12 hours making her hubby happy? I think that is particularily contemptible.
    But it is not only single products that are sold - altogether they depict a way of life, a happy consumer's way of life, who is always hip, sexually active and attractive, whose credit card enables two holidays per year and whatever ... there are many variations of this for each age group up to the seniors who always are shown in a green environent with few wrinkles, but "wisdom" in their faces and a overall content look about them. But whatever age group we talk of, there's little individualism in them. Unless you want to sell French cigarettes or a certain Italian Espresso - there you are "served" individualism as a sales proposal.

How can we expect a young person a) to see through these very cleverly planned campaigns that take place on every level b) to resist the group pressure - while their stupid parents can't even resist all kinds of silly stuff. All one can do (speaking as a father of daughters) is to strengthen their personalities, also show them that we don't do or buy everything we are supposedly required to, and finally show them how great "being different" can be, how wonderful the multitude of variations and possibilties is. Oh, and to help them through set-backs which they're bound to suffer if they act more individualistically and nonconformist.

Cheers, L'E

by the way, my elder daughter joined a soccer /football team for a while, but it got much in the way of her learning so she gave it up again. We found she was getting fouled more than others - because she did things her own way, kept away from the boozing up after the matches (girls!!!) and also looks pretty stunning (says the proud father, excuse)

Leave a comment:

• Etive
    replied
    RE: Corrective surgery

I have a broken nose from playing rugby at school. Sometimes people say I should get it "fixed" but I only ever consider it when I knock it and get migraines.

The thing is, if I did get it restored I wouldn't look like me any more, I think that'd be freaky. I don't trust a surgeon to not try and make me look more beautiful.

Nobody points and laughs at me, but if I do have surgery it'll be CORRECTIVE not COSMETIC.

I don't think that a girl who has been bullied about the size of her bust should have implants, this is not corrective. If she needs anything its confidence implants.

Many blokes aren't worried about breast size, and many girls don't realise that larger breasts get in the way!

Leave a comment:

• krunky
    replied
    PWV - dig it: when you see your partner in the altogether and smile, just think how much more it means that it is all (or mostly) through nature taking its course alone.

I still have a "woody" for Helen Mirren, and she is no spring chicken at this point. But she is (or at least seems) *SO* fucking cool that who cares?

Man, I have a weakness a mile wide for Eastern Europeans...

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    Originally posted by Etive
    Hey Jerico,

What do you think of people who have plastic surgery to look weird rather than beautiful?
    Lydia,

Well I'd say there's a difference between "body modification" and tatooing and plastic surgery.
    I don't know any specific examples of anyone who had "plastic surgery" to look weird, but there are certainly plenty of people who get piercings and tatoos to look weird.
    Supposedly this "cat-man" lives here in my town. He has done many modifications on his face and head such that he looks as close as possible to a tiger (? I believe), such that his upper lip has been split/ cleft, and he has special metal implants on his face where he can screw-in his detachable whiskers. Ever see him? He's been on several documentaries I believe. I think his job is in computers-- programming or something-or-other. I've never seen him in person though. I don't know what he does for recreation other than going to conventions where he can be amongst like-people.
    I have no strong opinion on the matter. I think the cat-man is interesting, but I do not find him neither strongly disturbing, nor repulsive. I feel the same way about people who stretch their ear-lobes out. Actually that kind of modification does make me wince a little but not strongly though. Then again, I've never seen such extreme modifications in real life.
    When I played in a band, I was around a lot more people who had modifications, mostly tatooing though.
    Myself, I have only one piercing and one tatoo and probably won't get much more done. Both were painful, especially the piercing, and I see no reason why such a thing would be a regular thing for me to do. :)

Consider this: Are these people actually getting modified in order to look weird? Or would they say that the modifications are "beautiful" instead? The Cat-man would probably argue that he is far more beautiful now than when his skin was untouched.
    Consider Marilyn Manson. He is making a statement by looking weird. He's saying all the Hollywoodesque/ media and fashion driven quest for beauty is ironic. Especially due to the plastic surgery "industry." So his weird looks represent what it all truly is-- something actually ugly. What's more ironic is that many young girls think Marilyn Manson is good-looking. I know at least two girls who have raved about how good-looking he is. Surely there are legions of "goth" girls who slobber over him. I wonder if they understand the "message" behind his looks?
    It's subjective really. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, indeed.
    Furthermore, is Marilyn Manson weird? I think the real man behind the make-up is a fairly intelligent guy. He's no more weird or fucked-up than a lot of us who frequent this site. From my memory, I don't think Manson has much tatoos and piercings at all. This, to me, indicates he actually might be a fairly conservative guy. Just an artistic guy, and the type that doesn't get the piercings and tatoos, but on-stage is willing to be as big a freak as they come.

More on the subject:
    Do I date women with piercings, and tatoos? yes. Are these the types of women I am attracted to? Not necessarily. Would I ever date a woman with extreme modifications? Possibly, but only if I find her attractive, and the modifications themselves are not what I would find attractive.
    Would my mom be happy if I were in a serious relationship with someone who had lots of modifications? No. Do I care about what my mom thinks? Yes, to a certain degree.
    What about piercings to genetalia? I say, hey, to each his or her own. I have no interest in doing that to myself. I have yet to date a woman who has a piercing-- how should I put it-- "down stairs" or "below the waistline." :D
    Ok. I think I've said almost everything I can say on the subject.
    Any questions? :)

Oh yeah, I agree with you that it's not necessarily a good thing for a girl with a small chest to get implants, but again "to each her own." It probably is a positive thing psychologically, but then again, there are the risks. And it perpetuates the idea and trend which a lot, if not most women, should not even consider because there's nothing wrong with them (except for what's going on inside her head-- which I guess is low self-esteem, or distorted body-image). The psychological factors I think can be pretty complicated. What exactly is "low self-esteem" and "distorted body-image?" What about maturity? Is she young and impressionable? How influenced is she by the images we are bombarded with from the media? How educated is she? A lot of things can be considered, yes?
    Anyway, long-winded again. Have a great day!
    THE END

Leave a comment:

Working...
X