Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Two more MM like bands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two more MM like bands

I have3 found these bands Tygers of Pan tang aand Storm bringer Stormbringer was on the 4 teletextt so it could be stormsbringer or something. Are these MM inspired?

Well, as we've learned with Deep Purple, it's not impossible for "Stormbringer" to be used unconciously. But I think one would be hard-pressed to say that a band called Tygers of Pan Tang wasn't MM-inspired.

So, I checked their website... looked at their FAQ section... which has one question: Where did the name come from? Their answer was, well, WRONG. Read and shake your head sadly:

Q. Where did the name come from?
    A. A novel written by author David Moorcock included the cliffs of Pan Tang which were guarded by sacred tigers. It was an amalgamation of the two.

Not that a search for "moorcock" wouldn't set a person on the right path for the book, but geez, if you're gonna honor someone by referencing their work, at least get their name right! :roll:
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Maybe if we took a copy of one of the White Wolf editions, or one of the old SFBC editions, of the Elric stories, and smacked 'em upside they heads, repeatedly, the proper information might sink in!

I bought a copy of a Tygers CD, 'The Cage,' at a record sale a few months ago. Wasn't that heavily impressed. Basic '80's pop metal.
      Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Originally posted by DeepFixer
        Maybe if we took a copy of one of the White Wolf editions, or one of the old SFBC editions, of the Elric stories, and smacked 'em upside they heads, repeatedly, the proper information might sink in!
        :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
          Q. Where did the name come from?
          A. A novel written by author David Moorcock included the cliffs of Pan Tang which were guarded by sacred tigers. It was an amalgamation of the two.
          Yeah! I know! As iv'e said before i'm collecting material for a site with bands using moorcocks stuff. Both for Mike and the fans. Even the band who's using the most of Elric stuff (Domine) can't even pronounce Melnibonأ© right with the french 'أ‰' "Melnibon-'ay'". They just sing "Melnibone". If you guys find more of this stuff send it to me please!

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by DeepFixer

I bought a copy of a Tygers CD, 'The Cage,' at a record sale a few months ago. Wasn't that heavily impressed. Basic '80's pop metal.
            Yeah! I love metal music. But Tygers stuff isn't that good, at least for me anyway..

Comment

John Sykes is a good guitar player.

Comment

The Tygers of Pan Tang are stilll going? Wow. Memory lane. I bought their first single when I was in high school back in 78 or 79. Snarling tiger on the front, pic of the band standing in front of a Tiger Moth airplane on the back. Probably still have it tucked away somewhere. Didn't they do a song called Fireclown, too?
                \"Such confidence, gentlemen, is warming to the heart\".

Comment

Originally posted by Theocrat
                  If you guys find more of this stuff send it to me please!
                  You got it, Theocrat. I'm always on the alert...

Comment

This is sort of sad and obscure, but I was just reading my Elric of Melnibone omnibus, and in the Singing Citadel he fights a creature with coral fangs... and the new Distillers album is called Coral Fang. Is there a connection, or am I just hopelessly confused?

D...
                    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Working...
                    X