Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Aimee Mann

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aimee Mann

I'm a big Til Tuesday fan from the 80's, and while I kept track of Aimee's first two albums that didn't really click with me, I recently rediscoverd her stuff. Her album Lost in Space is growing on me. It's beautiful but depressing stuff. "Real Bad News" and "Today's the Day" are impressing me most. I wonder if anyone else is into her and I wonder if anyone is willing to listen for their frist time and offer thier impressions.

Til Tuesday
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Til_Tuesday

Aimee Mann
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aimee_Mann
    Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

I liked Voices Carry, but never followed up on Aimee Mann. I didn't realize she was the female vocalist on Time Stand Still but I loved that one too...not very surprising, considering Rush is one of my all-time favorite bands. I'll give it a listen, and see if 25 years (has it really been that long?) has changed my attitude toward the music.

Comment

Well I can't really listen for the first time becasue I already love her. Throughout her career she's continued to write little chapters that parallel my life. One song on 'Whatever' was such a strong parallel, when I first heard it, it described specifically what was occuring around me at that exact moment in time and space. It was ghostly, I will always love her for it. So there's no objectivity here, just a strong admiration. And I suspect 'The Forgotten Arm' is a subtle masterpiece. I havent heard the christmas album yet, I'm a little afraid of it.

Comment

I'm rather impressed by how well she has matured as an artist. "Voices Carry" was a decent '80s pop song, but it was 'Til Tuesday's only listenable track in my opinion. What I've heard of her solo career has been quite good, along the lines of how Barry put it for sure. Her work on the soundtrack to the amazing movie Magnolia was really powerful, including a surprisingly solid cover of "One" by Three Dog Night. She's even on doing back up on William Shatner's hilarious but poignant album Has Been!
        My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by opaloka
          Well I can't really listen for the first time becasue I already love her. Throughout her career she's continued to write little chapters that parallel my life. One song on 'Whatever' was such a strong parallel, when I first heard it, it described specifically what was occuring around me at that exact moment in time and space. It was ghostly, I will always love her for it. So there's no objectivity here, just a strong admiration. And I suspect 'The Forgotten Arm' is a subtle masterpiece. I havent heard the christmas album yet, I'm a little afraid of it.
          I had a similiar experience with Til Tuesday's "Coming Home" album. Tracks 4 through 10 are amazing, especially 'David Denies'. I believe she may be the archetypal female through her stuff, offering we sensitive males insight into what happens to a woman, emotionally speaking, after we do the rotten things we males sometimes do. I also think we get a peek at the depression and insecurity women frequently suffer from. Put simply, we get the woman's side of the story, we get to be flies on the wall of female relationship analysis. As with so many of her songs, it is difficlut to tell if 'Real Bad News' is a self-loathing statement about her not being worthy of him, or a defeated description of the relationship she finds herself in. One wonders. Ghostly is right.

Comment

I owned I'm With Stupid at one point... which I bought in a sale because she looked cute (). I never really got into it, but that was at a time when I was reviewing a lot of music for a student magazine, and being fairly superficial and short on attention span when it came to sitting down and *listening* to things. I think her songs worked very well in Magnolia, which is also a fine film in case any Mann fans haven't seen it.

Oh wow! I've just read on Wiki that she's been in Buffy and The Big Lebowski! You have to respect that...
            "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

I think she is amazing. A lot of her music is really dark, which I like, and her songwriting is superb.

Berry, I think I have a live acoustic track of "Going through the Motions" that she recorded for locally released charity cd. I'll send it to you if I have it in my iTunes and you're interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
                I think she is amazing. A lot of her music is really dark, which I like, and her songwriting is superb.

Berry, I think I have a live acoustic track of "Going through the Motions" that she recorded for locally released charity cd. I'll send it to you if I have it in my iTunes and you're interested.
                Another thing we have in common. Color me interested. Willing to email the track to me? Or should we try something else?

Comment

I'll see if I can get it to you via email. My broadband has been finicky over the last few days. It cuts out at very inopportune times--like when I'm sending files. If I have trouble here at home, I'll send it from my office on Tuesday.

As an aside, I saw Kathleen Edwards at a music festival this summer. She told a story about being mistaken for Aimee Mann, who was also there. She laughed and called herself "Aimee Mann after 10 cheeseburgers."

Comment

I sent it to your multiverse.org address after it was refused by your hot.mail address. If that doesn't work, I'll try your gmail...

Comment

By random chance I ended up at the MySpace profile of a singer called Ella Edmondson*, and Aimee Mann is one of her MySpace "friends", along with Martha Wainwright, The Mighty Boosh and other notables. I really enjoyed the songs she has there for download, so here's the address if you're curious:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=95185744

The first track features a singer called Kate Rusby... who also has a gorgeous voice, so it's all good!

* Daughter of Adrian Edmondson and Jennifer Saunders... Bless their cotton socks! Of course, the cynical might suggest that she was trying to cash in on the huge international fame and popularity of her father's band 'Bad News'... for who can forget that crazy, hazy summer when their touching romantic ballad 'Masterbike' held the number one and number two spots across the world's charts for three consecutive months... bringing down the Berlin Wall and prompting Brian May to drop their name around town as his "other band". Ah, those were the days...
                      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Working...
                      X