Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Be Bop Deluxe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be Bop Deluxe

Anyone else here remember Be Bop Deluxe, led by Bill Nelson? Bill went off and did various avant garde recordings after the band's demise in the late 70s, but for the few years they were together Be Bop produced some of the finest British rock music of that decade.

Songs like Axe Victim, Adventures In A Yorkshire Landscape, Modern Music, Dancing In The Moonlight, Electrical Language and others still sound very fresh today.

I have a good deal of their stuff on vinyl and tape but have just ordered the 2 CD anthology of their work. I'm looking forward to sitting down and listening to it when it arrives...
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Originally posted by Marca
    I have a good deal of their stuff on vinyl and tape but have just ordered the 2 CD anthology of their work. I'm looking forward to sitting down and listening to it when it arrives...
    If you mean Air Age Anthology, I have that. It's pretty good but I feel they went off the boil a bit by the end, by which point Bill Nelson was reputedly already sick of doing the guitar hero bit.

I got into them after seeing a film of them live on ITV late at night sometime back in the 70's. They were a pretty unique band at the time and they were wearing suits on stage long before it became fashionable in the 80's.

Comment

Yes it was Air Age Anthology. Spoke too soon, though. It was listed at £6.97 on Amazon, so I thought I'd snap it up. When I checked the order (and the site) later it had strangely gone up in price to over ten quid, so I cancelled the order. Will have to pick it up another time when I can find it a bit cheaper. Personally I thought they were pretty consistent until they finished, but that's just my opinion.

I was introduced to them by a friend in school back in the late 70s, I'd never heard of them before and was hooked. My school friends had pretty eclectic tastes, ranging from the likes of Floyd, Yes etc all the way to The Sex Pistols and other New Wave/Punk bands of the time. It was actually a great time to be listening to music.

Maybe I'm an old fart...
      'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Maid in Heaven video with other video links also:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rGw92a3Shto
        "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

I understand they are playing again, and may be on the festival circuit next year :-)
          \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

Ah Be Bop Deluxe,one of the most under-rated bands ever in my opinion.
            What a player Bill Nelson is.
            And you were saying Zakt that they are getting back together to hit the festival circuit.
            That would be amazin.
            If they play anywhere in this country i will certainly be there.
            "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Live in the Air Age is an awesome live album.. Bill was an absolutely stonking lead guitarist ..one of the best.. never got to see bep bop ..

my mate and my bro saw red nosie in southhampton which was the first off shoot after Bep Bop.. i liked Red Nosie alot too sort of electro new wave punk (ish) got a live tape from thr radio of them somewhere and their only album.. songs like revolt into syle just brilliant. I was too young to be allowed to go :-( had to wait 6 months i think then i went to see camel .. and andy latimer is another underrated genius guitarist.. ah be bop .. will always be in my playlist ...great band..
              Last edited by Simoo; 11-19-2008, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Couldnt agree more Simoo.
                Im also a big Andy Latimer fan,was just checking out Rain Dances earlier for the first time in a while.
                "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Working...
                X