Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Men At Work - Down Under

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men At Work - Down Under

I've just listened to this song, one of my Men At Work favourites - and I noticed that the Kombi van they are in in the first scene of the video, has Tanelorn written on the front.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s
    Did anyone from Men At Work ever discuss this in any interview?
    sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
    And incense the power of man with God
    But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
    And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
    by Peter Cape

There are previous discussions within previous discussions regarding this. Behold the Thread: https://www.multiverse.org/forum/q-a...lric-reference

I think the Tanelorn Music Festival Reference Hypothesis the most likely explanation.

Comment

Thanks. That thread's been on this forum for longer than myself - I only turned up around 2007 or 2008 iirc.

But yes, it does sound like it was related to the Tanelorn Music Festival.
      sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
      And incense the power of man with God
      But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
      And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
      by Peter Cape

Comment

Weirdly, I also watched the video, last week, on the TV channel of 192 Radio (a monument to the pirate radio days of, Radio Veronica). I also read the destination board & it could well be a reference to the festival. However, it did remind me of the Merry Pranksters psychedelic battle bus, with it's destination board that read, 'Furthur,' which I first read about in Tom Wolfe's, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, many, many years ago. It could be both a reference to the festival & a reference to the original bus full of hippies. Let's face, who wouldn't want to try & reach Tanelorn?

JC02_00.gif
        The original certainly influenced me.

Comment

Well, the festival got its name from MM. I think that's good enough to occam's-razor that Kombi Van into the multiverse.

Comment

Working...
          X