Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What music are you listening in 2020?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yo Yo Ma, Bach Cello Suites ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu9MDqGhIak
    sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
    And incense the power of man with God
    But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
    And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
    by Peter Cape

Comment

• Zeppelin,

Comment

• Originally posted by postodave View Post

It can be quite surprising which things teenagers do know about...
        Not even a year ago my living room had three pre-teen girls jumping up and down to Blondie. Later, two of them were debating which songs to play. A few years before that I heard the two debaters discussing Dolly Parton. Of course, this has much to do with parental influence. Or, currently, Miley Cyrus.

Comment

• Black Sabbath, Priest, The Gathering, Anneke, echolyn.
          "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
          "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heresiologist View Post

Not even a year ago my living room had three pre-teen girls jumping up and down to Blondie. Later, two of them were debating which songs to play. A few years before that I heard the two debaters discussing Dolly Parton. Of course, this has much to do with parental influence. Or, currently, Miley Cyrus.
            The parental thing is interesting. I was a teenager in the seventies and there was a huge barrier between my parents music and mine. My dad was a trad jazz fan, which was a bit out there and he also go the Beatles, at least their earlier stuff, and his sister who was seven years younger had the first three Beatles albums which ended up at our house. But the other stuff my dad listened to , like Tony Bennet or Matt Monroe that was definitely not our stuff but theirs. That kind of thing has largely gone now and kids are more likely to listen to their parents' music. For me it was a game changer to realise that Bob Dylan's Blind Willie McTell lifted its melody from Louis Armstrong's St James' Infirmary. Dylan himself has since uncovered his own roots, not just in folk but earlier strands of pop music, with his theme time radio. The idea that sixties music sprang fully formed from nowhere now seems odd, and seventies pop which was rooted in the fifties never really tried to hide that. We just sorted of pretended we were in a new world. So kid's do listen tom their parents' music, love some and hate some but not because it is 'old' or an outdated style. I love the videos on Youtube where a young person 'reacts' to an earlier track without any of the baggage its original listeners would have brought, but with a different set of baggage!

Comment

• My kids will never admit to like things i like to listen too.
              "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
              "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

• Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
                My kids will never admit to like things i like to listen too.
                It does not work like that with my daughters. This Christmas my younger daughter bought me the new Hawkwind book, with the comment, 'Because Hawkwind are okay except when you play them too loud.' I have gone from parents who thought everything I played was too loud to children thinking that - but that's what you get if you keep listening on your phone. There have been interesting points of contact. When Bowie died my older daughter called me to say how upset she was because he was someone who made it easier for people who were different. Shortly after this her faviourite singer Amanda Palmer did some really good Bowie covers. https://amandapalmer.net/strungoutinheaven/ One time we were watching Friday night TV and they had an eighties episode of Top of the Pops followed by a program about New York Rock with Patti Smith, Lou Reed, John Cale, Talking Heads etc. My daughter's comment was, 'If there was music like this, why did people bother with that other stuff.' meaning the eighties pop.

Comment

• Back in 1997 a friend of mine and I traded cassette tapes and he sent me The Gathering "Mandylion" and "Nightime birds" which I overheard but another friend of mine stole those tapes, but since he was and is a big friend of mine I considered it a gift.

Some years later in November 2000 I had just been fired and I decided to go to a cd store before leaving the city I would not have any business at all and bought How To Measure a Planet and started listening to it while driving back to my home town to live with my parents still having these omnipresent thoughts about a broke up that happened 7 months before. The songs from that album have this angelical voice from Anneke who conveys a certain mellow feeling but at the same time, it lifts up your soul probably indicating that happiness in life is transitory and so I looked at the horizon ( 38 Celsius outside and moisture 20% ) and left the wind blow at my face.

I don't know what made going back to listen to The Gathering and Anneke a few weeks ago but I certainly thank God for that.

Wind blowing from outside now.

Comment

• Procol Harum - A Salty Dog

Track 1. A Salty Dog

https://youtu.be/mOj3kJKy-_U?list=PL...DugCM4wkgC9zqL
                    Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by postodave View Post
                      The parental thing is interesting. I was a teenager in the seventies and there was a huge barrier between my parents music and mine. My dad was a trad jazz fan, which was a bit out there and he also go the Beatles, at least their earlier stuff, and his sister who was seven years younger had the first three Beatles albums which ended up at our house. But the other stuff my dad listened to , like Tony Bennet or Matt Monroe that was definitely not our stuff but theirs. That kind of thing has largely gone now and kids are more likely to listen to their parents' music. For me it was a game changer to realise that Bob Dylan's Blind Willie McTell lifted its melody from Louis Armstrong's St James' Infirmary. Dylan himself has since uncovered his own roots, not just in folk but earlier strands of pop music, with his theme time radio. The idea that sixties music sprang fully formed from nowhere now seems odd, and seventies pop which was rooted in the fifties never really tried to hide that. We just sorted of pretended we were in a new world. So kid's do listen tom their parents' music, love some and hate some but not because it is 'old' or an outdated style. I love the videos on Youtube where a young person 'reacts' to an earlier track without any of the baggage its original listeners would have brought, but with a different set of baggage!
                      Yeah, what with YouTube and such making it all so easy to find and listen to, I think music fan factionalism, whether based on generation or sub-genre allegiance, is reduced. So far, my daughter just likes whatever sounds good to her. That means I might hear Cardi B followed by Kate Bush (recently she was eager to tell me Babooshka was trending on Tik Tok) followed by Mother Mother, then circling back to the present with Ariana Grande. Her morning alarm used to be Happy House by Siouxsie and the Banshees. In the car she often asks for Ella Fitzgerald. Lately, she's often heard singing Hopelessly Devoted to You. As I type she's got her dancing app playing some, to me, lesser Queen song. Earlier, for some reason, she was singing the chorus to Radio Ga Ga.

Oh! Also, I played The Damned's New Rose for her the other day. She thought it was good.

That said, there is a parent down the street who told me his sons won't hear anything unless the media says it's a big hit.

Comment

• What is "the media" in music these days? Some spotify playlists or the like?
                        Personally, I've been listening to The Shadows (a random best of) and Pond.

Comment

Working...
                        X