Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Bela Lugosi's Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bela Lugosi's Dead

Bela Lugosi was buried in a Dracula outfit. Note the leftmost picture on the record below.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bela_lugosi

Bela Lugosi's Dead

White on white translucent black capes
    Back on the rack
    Bela Lugosi's dead
    The bats have left the bell tower
    The victims have been bled
    Red velvet lines the black box
    Bela Lugosi's dead
    Undead undead undead
    The virginal brides file past his tomb
    Strewn with time's dead flowers
    Bereft in deathly bloom
    Alone in a darkened room
    The count
    Bela Logosi's dead
    Undead undead undead

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...519AF832772117

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bela_Lugosi's_Dead

Filmography
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000509/

Grave Matters
    http://www.riprense.com/Bela.htm

From Ed Wood:

[Bela Lugosi is trying on coffins.]
    Bela Lugosi: Too constrictive! I can't even fold my arms.
    Coffin Salesman: Gee, Mister Lugosi, I-I've never had any complaints.
    Bela: This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in. Your selection is quite shoddy. You are wasting my time!...
    Ed Wood: Mister Lugosi, why are you buying a coffin?
    Bela
    : I'm planning on dying soon.
    Ed: No!
    Bela
    : Yes. I'm embarking on another truck and bus tour of "Dracula". Twelve cities in ten days, if that's concievable....
    Ed: You know, you're, you're much scarier in real life than you are in the movies.
    Bela: Thank you.
    Ed Wood
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Wood_%28movie%29

Bauhaus
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bauhaus_%28band%29

Rest in peace "Beloved Father"
    Last edited by Reinart der Fuchs; 07-27-2006, 10:13 PM.
    Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

It's ironic that Béla Lugosi is known today probably mainly because of the Bahaus song! He's one of the few Hungarian that made it in Holywood. Another ironic fact is that Lugosi was born in Lugos, which is in Transylvania where, of course, Dracula resides according to the stories. I guess he had intimate knowledge with him

Comment

Originally posted by Oren Douek
      It's ironic that Béla Lugosi is known today probably mainly because of the Bahaus song!
      I don't know how accurate this is. The Dracula movie is iconic. In Los Angeles, not a year goes by that it hasn't appeared on one of the Hollywood television stations in it's full black and white glory. I haven't seen it in 15 years here in Seattle, so there may be truth in what you say.

Comment

Bauhaus and Lugosi are only known by specific audiences. Probably that many goths wouldn't know the existence of Bela without them, but many vampire film amateurs wouldn't have pay interest to this band without this song which was used in the first sequence of The Hunger by Tony Scott. Crap movie, this only part remains interesting...
        Free the West Memphis Three

Comment

Originally posted by Reinart der Fuchs
          I don't know how accurate this is. The Dracula movie is iconic. In Los Angeles, not a year goes by that it hasn't appeared on one of the Hollywood television stations in it's full black and white glory. I haven't seen it in 15 years here in Seattle, so there may be truth in what you say.
          Oh it was just a hunch. I can't really be certain. Come to think of it, the song itself is also several decades old already, but I think that Bauhaus is still active. Anyhow, for me Bauhaus will always be the architectural style which is quite prominent in central Tel Aviv

Comment

Oh it was just a hunch. I can't really be certain. Come to think of it, the song itself is also several decades old already, but I think that Bauhaus is still active. Anyhow, for me Bauhaus will always be the architectural style which is quite prominent in central Tel Aviv
            Bauhaus made a tour lately but we're still waiting for a new release. On the other hand, I invit you to listen to Peter Murphy's Dust. One of this world wonder.
            Free the West Memphis Three

Comment

Is this quote from Bela Lugosi in Dracula? (1931)

[3:24] A year ago exactly on this same night we were assembled here in this very room. I your pastor and you my beloved flock. With hopefulness in my heart, I told you then that with Lucifer's aid we might look forward to a more succulent occasion. Cast back your mind. There we were, gathered together gloomy and despondent, around that single meager woodcutter...

Skinny Puppy uses audio bites in their songs and this one is from Rivers off the Rabies album.

It's been a long time since I saw the Bela Lugosi Dracula. Maybe it is a different movie, I think it sounds like Lugosi though.

thanks,

-Lemec
              Last edited by lemec; 07-28-2006, 12:33 AM.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
              - Michael Moorcock

Comment

It's ironic that Béla Lugosi is known today probably mainly because of the Bahaus song! He's one of the few Hungarian that made it in Holywood.
                Huge fan of Bauhaus though I am, I too would have to dispute this. On the other hand, I bet that most people who have heard of Lugosi don't know that he was Hungarian...

Comment

Originally posted by lemec
                  Is this quote from Bela Lugosi in Dracula? (1931)

Skinny Puppy uses audio bites in their songs and this one is from Rivers off the Rabies album.

It's been a long time since I saw the Bela Lugosi Dracula. Maybe it is a different movie, I think it sounds like Lugosi though.
                  That's a sample from Roman Polanski's The Fearless Vampire Killers. It's an actor called Ferdy Mayne.

Nice to see another Puppy fan on the board.

Comment

I'll join Berry and John over there in the corner if I may. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Bauhaus are in fact still only known of by the man on the Clapham omnibus because of the Bela Lugosi track. I mean, how many other Bauhaus songs can any non-fans name?
                    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

By the way, it hasn't been "several" decades. It's almost three decades. I'm sure others have noticed that the timbre of Peter Murphy's voice really changed between the recording of interest and his stuff in the early 90's.

Did you guys miss it? Bela Lugosi's Dead was done in a single studio take. Unbelievable.

Comment

Originally posted by Typhoid_Mary
                        That's a sample from Roman Polanski's The Fearless Vampire Killers. It's an actor called Ferdy Mayne.

Nice to see another Puppy fan on the board.

Thanks, Typhoid_Mary!

I never knew that, had the tape in my car for so long, then upgraded to the cd.

The audio samples from A Clockwork Orange were much more easy to spot,haha.

I later learned the bit about the barrier and it having the "strength of a million souls, power of the dead."- came from The Dungeonmaster

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089060/

cool idea though about the barrier, almost 'Moorcockesque'. haha

It's so cool to know where that came from, at last!

-Lemec

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                        - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
                          I'll join Berry and John over there in the corner if I may. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Bauhaus are in fact still only known of by the man on the Clapham omnibus because of the Bela Lugosi track. I mean, how many other Bauhaus songs can any non-fans name?
                          I disagree. I mean, I'm not a Bauhaus fan and yet I can name many other song, for example... err... well... let me think... nevermind

Comment

"Ziggy Stardust" was the biggest hit, was it not? But I guess their cover version's long-forgotten now.

I was a great fan, particularly of Bela, but I had a mate who was a Goth drummer who insisted on playing it over and over again until I became sick of it. Sad really.
                            \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Originally posted by johneffay
                              Huge fan of Bauhaus though I am, I too would have to dispute this. On the other hand, I bet that most people who have heard of Lugosi don't know that he was Hungarian...
                              I worked with a couple of Transylvanians at the Mc Donalds in Würzburg both of whom were very friendly with particularly round faces. Lugosi from Transylvania, imagine that.

Comment

Working...
                              X