Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Rush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rush

Continuing our discussion about Rush in a more appropriate place!

Originally posted by Thiassi
    Hopefully they will tour again. Sadly, they are starting to get up there in years. I would love to see them again. And again. And again. and........
    They are the only band that I can listen to all day, without getting tired of it.
    Maybe we should start a Rush thread.
    The question is whether they'll get to Europe again at all...

I agree they are one of the only bands you can listen to over and over again, finding new nuances each time.

Some of my favourite songs: Red Sector A, Xanadu, La Villa Strangiato, Natural Science, Big Money, Distant Early Warning, Subdivisions.

Great songs.
    My personal favorites are
    Natural Science, By-tor and the snow dog, Analog kid, Red sector A, Scars, Hand over fist, Grand designs, Roll the bones, The necromancer, Cygnus X-1. Of course, the list can go on forever.

Comment

can you imagine life without 2112?

Comment

Originally posted by Idiot_Savant
        can you imagine life without 2112?
        NO!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe that I forgot to mention "Something for nothing" and of course "Passage to Bankok"

Comment

Talking about 2112, have you read Anthem by Ayn Rand?

Comment

No I have not. Is that the year the story takes place? Or does the story follow the same theme as 2112?

Comment

It follows the same theme, but instead of a guitar, the hero finds a light bulb, Edison's invention, and presents it before the council etc. And that sparks the revolution. The album's liner notes say: “With acknowledgement to the genius of Ayn Rand”.

Comment

Cygnus X-1! One of the most descriptive songs I have ever heard! In part one, when I heard the bass, I pictured a planet emitting sounds in space...

Comment

Yes, definitely Cygnus X-1, which is really considered to be a black hole. I wanted to mention it in my list above, but figured that then I will add more and more songs endlessly! By the way the directions given in the song (east of Lyra, northwest of Pegasus) really match the directions in the night sky! I remember being surprised realising this while doing some stargazing. The starship in the song, "Rocinante", is named just like Don Quixote's horse!

Comment

Originally posted by Oren Douek
                    Yes, definitely Cygnus X-1, which is really considered to be a black hole. I wanted to mention it in my list above, but figured that then I will add more and more songs endlessly! By the way the directions given in the song (east of Lyra, northwest of Pegasus) really match the directions in the night sky! I remember being surprised realising this while doing some stargazing. The starship in the song, "Rocinante", is named just like Don Quixote's horse!
                    Wasn't it also the name of the boat used by Earindil in the Silmarillion? I think the spelling was different, but the pronunciation was the same.
                    Of course, I could easily be wrong about this, it has been 20 years since I read the Silmarillion, and dont have it in front of me to reference.

Comment

I read it about 5 years ago but couldn't remember. Finally I found it: Vingilَtë

It does end with 'te'

Comment

I read it about 5 years ago but couldn't remember. Finally I found it: Vingilَtë

It does end with 'te'
                        Ahhhh! That's right. I guess I need to re-read it.

Comment

Neil Peart's lyrics are never coincidential ;) That's one reason the called him "proffesor". The other is because of his drum playing :)

Comment

One of my all-time favorites.....

...Rush is also a bit of a guilty-pleasure favorite, since MM has made no secret of his dislike for Ayn Rand and Libertarianism.

Rush was pretty much the soundtrack to my life from my mid-teens through my twenties, and I'm still a fan even if I've found MANY other bands to rival and sometimes supplant them (!) Haven't missed a Rush tour since Signals and don't plan to, either!

Couldn't begin to list favorite songs, since they are legion. I will make special mention of the song "Territories" and its lyrics.

Comment

Territories (and Power Windows in general ) is also one of my favorites. I have been listening to it a lot latley. Mystic Rythyms is another one. AAARRRGGGGGHHHH!!! Too many to name. Not enough server space.
                              I pretty much like anything except "New world man" off of signals.

Comment

Working...
                              X