Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

David Bowie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Bowie

What David Bowie songs do you like?

I liked most of the 70's and 80's songs and I bought the Earthling album which I thought was pretty cool.

I have some Bowie songs on my computer and happen to think of him when I saw David M. had (Bowie) under music in his profile. David, I assume you meant David Bowie? haha.
    David Bowie
    1.10%
    Space Oddity
    5.52%
    The Man Who Sold The World
    8.84%
    Hunky Dory
    9.39%
    The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
    13.26%
    Aldaddin Sane
    6.08%
    Pin Ups
    2.21%
    Diamond Dogs
    11.60%
    Young Americans
    2.21%
    Station To Station
    5.52%
    Low
    6.63%
    "Heroes"
    5.52%
    Lodger
    1.66%
    Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)
    6.63%
    Let's Dance
    3.87%
    Tonight
    0.00%
    Never Let Me Down
    0.00%
    Tin Machine
    0.55%
    Tin Machine II
    0.00%
    Black Tie White Noise
    0.00%
    The Buddha of Suburbia
    0.00%
    1. Outside
    3.31%
    Earthling
    1.10%
    'hours...'
    0.55%
    Heathen
    2.76%
    Reality
    1.10%
    The Next Day
    0.55%

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

I love pretty much everything before Lets Dance and can handle most everything from that point on, but why bother?

Probably would pick Low as my favorite album, but then some days it's definitely Hunky Dory or Ziggy, or and so on...

The Man Who Fell to Earth is among my favorite movies period.
    My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by Dead-Air
      I love pretty much everything before Lets Dance and can handle most everything from that point on, but why bother?

Probably would pick Low as my favorite album, but then some days it's definitely Hunky Dory or Ziggy, or and so on...

The Man Who Fell to Earth is among my favorite movies period.

Dead Air,

so, does that mean you like everything by Bowie? (like me)

Ziggy Stardust, the concert on video is very, very good.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

He was the first proper musician I got into, from Hunky Dory through to Heroes / Lodger / Scary Monsters. I went to see him in 83 on the Glass Spider (?) tour and was extremely disappointed, then he released "Tonight" . I liked Tin Machine though
        \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

Zakt, have you heard any of Bowie's more recent output?

Lem', yes I do mean David Bowie.

I bought my first Bowie LP - Diamond Dogs - around the same time as I was first getting into Mike's fantasy novels, which was when Let's Dance was in the charts. I think the first Bowie song that first attracted me to finding out more about him as 'Sound + Vision' from the Low LP. I used to hear it from time to time on the radio and it was both the lyrics - "Blue, blue, electric blue / That's the colour of my room / Where I will live / Blue, blue" - as well as the musical composition of that song which first lodged in my brain. I remember 'Ashes to Ashes' also exerted a similar influence on me.

What I found attractive - possibly also what I liked in Mike's work - was the way that Bowie didn't conform to the usual expectations of the genre he worked in. Bowie didn't write cheesy love songs that the likes of David Essex, Rod Stewart or Elton John sung. If his songs weren't stories exactly I felt they had narrative at the very least. I think some of this was to do with the fact that Bowie was informed as much by literary sources, such as William Burroughs, as he was by musical ones.

Music-wise, certainly Bowie's '70s output is among his strongest and most innovative with the later '80s albums being disappointing in comparison. That said, there's still much on the Tonight LP that I find enjoyable. Annoyingly, Iggy Pop's 1986 album Blah Blah Blah, which Bowie produced and co-wrote many of the songs for did show that Bowie could still produce interesting music - it's just someone else who was singing it.

As with my interest with Mike, my interest in Bowie waned in the late '90s somewhat. It was only last year that I finally purchased most of Bowie's more recent output - hours..., Heathen, Reality - as well as the '70s albums I'd not bought in my earlier record buying days - Pin-ups, Young Americans, Station to Station. I would say that all of them were revelatory.

If asked to pick a favourite Bowie album now I would probably choose Heathen, which is very much a return to form imo, although I also like hours... and Earthling a lot as well. I think Bowie is actually producing some of his most interesting work at the moment (I don't think he re-association with Tony Visconti is a coincidence in that, btw) and his videos for songs such as 'Thursday's Child' and 'Survive' (I think) still show him firing on all cylinders imo.

Currently, my favourite opening lines to a song are from 'Seven Days in Tibet' from Earthling:

'Are you ok?
          You've been shot in the head,
          And I'm holding your brains in.'
          The old woman said...

Last edited by David Mosley; 07-20-2006, 05:24 AM.
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by zakt
            I went to see him in 83 on the Glass Spider (?) tour and was extremely disappointed, then he released "Tonight"
            The '83 tour would have been 'Serious Moonlight' to promote Let's Dance. I only saw the video concert later but it looks quite good to me - although I regret being both too young and on the wrong continent(!) to have seen the Diamond Dogs tour, which sounds fabulous - if occassionally plagued by technical hitches. The Glass Spider tour coincided with Never Let Me Down, which came out after Tonight.
            Last edited by David Mosley; 07-20-2006, 05:27 AM.
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I was at the front at Miton Keynes on the Serious Moonlight tour and it was awesome. Bowie's stage presence is like nothing I've ever experienced elsewhere, although people tell me Mick Jagger is very similar. You just stand there with your mouth open going wow!

I'm from Beckenham and in the late 60's he used to live at the end of my road lodging with my friend's mum. I met him once or twice, but I was only six at the time so it was no big deal. He wasn't famous then either, in fact my brother and sister used to watch him play in one of the local pubs.

I think all the post David Jones stuff up to Scary Monsters is outstanding. After that it goes downhill badly. Tin Machine? A pub rock version of Sonic Youth. It's hard to pinpoint exactly when he starts getting things right again, but I like Outside very much indeed. I agree that Heathen is very good, but find it slightly worrying that the best two tracks on it are covers..

My favourite albums are Low and Heroes; I can't really choose between them, but my favourite song is definitely 'Station to Station', particularly the version on Stage with Simon House and Adrian Belew going full out.

Comment

The 'Serious Moonlight' period and 'Tin Machine II' are probably my least favorite. Otherwise, I like everything else...period.
                Too many individual songs to mention, so I won't even try!

I must admit that Iggy Pop is a long time favorite of mine, as well.
                Last edited by ThomasL; 07-20-2006, 05:52 AM.

Comment

I do want to hear more of his songs, the only reason I did not listen to Bowie more was availability, or I should say I did not get a chance to buy them all. hehe.

I do have a "best of" type cd. I have that "Blue Jean" 20 minute video as well.

"Seven Days in Tibet" is an excellent song.

I like "Battle For Britain" (The Letter) song best from Earthling. In fact, I just put it on right now.

I almost blanked out about the Bowie/NIN concert that I went to!

I saw them at UNLV in 1995! Fantastic!

David Bowie actually came on stage during Trent Reznor's performance and Bowie sang NIN's "Reptile"! That was a wonderful treat!

I think he sang another song together with Trent, but I forget which one it was.

If I could time travel, that tour would be something I would see again!

I am more of a new Iggy Pop fan, especially after "Trainspotting".

I only heard a little of him before that.

Recently I was reminded of that "Candy" ? song that he did a video for and the duet was with one of the ladies of The B-52's.

It's corny, I guess, but I like that song too! haha

Do you know what song I mean?

I should have googled it, I will later, I only have this one page up at the moment,hehe.

What is her name?.............

Update: Kate Pierson
                  Last edited by lemec; 07-20-2006, 07:16 AM.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by lemec
                    Recently I was reminded of that "Candy" ? song that he did a video for and the duet was with one of the ladies of The B-52's.
                    [snip]
                    What is her name?.............
                    I don't know which song you mean, but if she's from the B-52's, that would be Kate Pierson or Cindy Wilson.

Comment

Originally posted by johneffay
                      I don't know which song you mean, but if she's from the B-52's, that would be Kate Pierson or Cindy Wilson.

Thanks, johneffay! It was indeed Kate Pierson.

and I guess the song was "Candy" after all.

Kate also sang in that one R.E.M. song.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Thanks, johneffay! It was indeed Kate Pierson.
                        and I guess the song was "Candy" after all.
                        Yep. From 1990's 'Brick by Brick' cd.

Kate also sang in that one R.E.M. song.
                        I think that was 'Shiny Happy People'.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasL
                          Yep. From 1990's 'Brick by Brick' cd.

I think that was 'Shiny Happy People'.

ahhh!, very cool, thanks!

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

What was the name of the song that David Bowie did for the movie "Cat People"? I really like that song, but dont know the name of it, or what cd it is on. I also really like China doll, I guess primarily because it had Stevie Ray Vaughn playing lead guitar on it. I dont know if he was on the rest of the cd or not. Other than that, I am still a fan of "The rise and fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from mars". Probably still my favorite by Bowie.

Comment

Originally posted by Thiassi
                              What was the name of the song that David Bowie did for the movie "Cat People"?
                              It's called 'Cat People (Putting Out Fire with Vaseline)' There are two versions generally available:

The original on the 'Cat People' soundtrack, which is a work of genius and I guess the one you mean. It was also released as a single (the 12" version is sublime), so it may be availbale on one of those Bowie single compilations.

A reworked version appears on Lets Dance, but it doesn't hold a candle to the original.

Comment

Working...
                              X