Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Syd Barrett passes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syd Barrett passes

Unfortunately, we lost another great one on the weekend.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5169344.stm

R.I.P. Syd - shine on you crazy diamond
    Ken Boorman
    Purveyor of the Runestaff and Stormbringer Legends

Wow.
    <sigh>
    Too bad. At least, he's freed of it all now.
    Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness.
    -Yousuf Karsh

Comment

I heard he was so high he didn't even remember he was once part of a band called Pink Floyd. LSD killed him long time ago. Curse you Timothy Learry!
      Free the West Memphis Three

Comment

Farewell To A King.Thanks Ken I heard it on the radio about 3 hrs ago while visting a relative in the hospital. I got The Syd Barrett Story on DVD for my birthday yesterday and watched it last night.What a sad tragedy for such an amazing man! He was one mega-cool gentleman.They're playing his music on the radio all day today.Ill have to break out my copies of Madcap Laughs, Opel, Barrett and Piper At The Gates.I am having a pint in his honor.
        A SENDOFF TOAST TO ROGER BARRETT
        YOU WILL BE MISSED BY ALL

Comment

Completely saddened. Found myself crying on my way home from work as I listened on the radio. But yeah, at least the pain and confusion is over.

Thanks, Syd.
          \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

Comment

A legend has passed.

Joe Boyd was on the radio saying how much concern the other members of Floyd had for Syd. Funny, I thought they were bastards to him. But, what the heck, I don't know them. I just loved the guy's words and music.
              \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Mikey C Wrote
                I just loved the guy's words and music.
                http://www.sydbarrett.org/sydslife.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey_C
                  Joe Boyd was on the radio saying how much concern the other members of Floyd had for Syd. Funny, I thought they were bastards to him.
                  So did I, but then I read this today: "Barrett sold the rights to his solo albums back to the record label and returned to Cambridge to live with his mother. He never returned to the music industry, and lived in the same house until his death. He was said to be fond of painting, writing and gardening. Pink Floyd ensured he still got regular royalty payments."

SOURCE

Syd started my favorite rock band of all time and I'll always be grateful to him for that. Shine on, Syd and thanks for the Floyd!
                  :roll:
                  "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                  --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Very sad indeed. It kind of puts an end to the myth and the enduring hope that he might do like Brian Wilson and emerge out of the haze to share his music again.

I don't think Floyd were ever bastards to him, just each other, and that was way later. They actually did all they could to keep him playing music, even when he wouldn't stay with the band. Opel wouldn't have happened if they hadn't kept pushing him to create and share his creations and helping make it at least vaguely coherent (which isn't a dis, the man was a genius!)

While a great part of his legend cannot be denied to stem from his extreme acid casualty status, he was an amazing musician in his day and a major influence on the likes of David Bowie, Robyn Hitchcock, The Legendary Pink Dots, Julian Cope, and countless other psychedelic musicians.

His science fiction themed work on Piper at the Gates of Dawn, including songs such as "Astonomy Domine" and "Interstellar Overdrive" set the tone not only for all future Pink Floyd albums, but for all space rock to follow!
                    Last edited by Dead-Air; 07-11-2006, 06:30 PM.
                    My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

No contest there Dead Air.Ive loved Piper At The Gates for 35 years.Can you please define POW R. TOC H.
                      It is a nonforgiving tune.

Comment

I may be too young or have become unsensitive to death, but at least, he had a long life and provided what he had to. I'm moved more artists shot while they're young as John Lennon or Dimebag Darrell. They still had a lot of things to share with their audience. Syd Barett began to die as an artist the day he used LSD.

Comment

Hmm, I think I can get away with playing Voivod's cover of "Astronomy Domine" in Syd's memory on WREKage this week. I'm sure the show before us, Stonehenge, will be featuring a lot of his stuff as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mespheber
                            I may be too young... I'm moved more artists shot while they're young as John Lennon or Dimebag Darrell.
                            Well, I can see what you mean, but try this: Think of a musician alive today who you really admire -- someone you find to be absolutely amazing (perhaps the person who started your favorite group). Now think about twenty years from now when you have heard they've passed.

It will move you then as Syd's death moves me now. He was a part of my childhood. I greatly admired him when I was (I'm guessing) your age.

And yeah, it sucked when Dimebag Darrell (though I knew him as Diamond Darrell) was shot. Pantera was an influential group to me in my youth, especially where my guitar playing at the time was concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by Pellaz
                              Hmm, I think I can get away with playing Voivod's cover of "Astronomy Domine" in Syd's memory...
                              Yesterday, a friend of mine gave me an mp3 of Interstellar Overdrive I had never heard before. Researching it, I've come to learn it's a cover version by Hawkwind. Huh. Go figure. Didn't even know. Sad, huh?

Comment

Working...
                              X