Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy

Their music is described as "Curiously compelling". That's no lie.

Hearing William Shatner sing is not unlike drinking the best, most expensive bottle of wine in the filthiest, smelliest public lavatory.
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Shatner's old work was laughable to the point of being enjoyable from presumably the opposite reasons intended, which earned him a spot on Rhino's Golden Throats compilation for his absolutely absurd rendition of "Mr. Tambourine Man". However, his newest album Has Been is actually amazingly good!

He seems to surprisingly get the joke that is his own "singing" career, and is matched up with some top notch production to take us through an aural journey where we seem to be laughing with him rather than at him. Check out "You'll Have Time" for one of the funniest ironic songs about death you are likely to ever hear, and then there's "That's Me Trying" where the irony actually outweighs the humor for a poignant piece about failed parenthood.

I still believe what everyone else in the Star Trek crew had to say about him being a narcissistic asshole, but apparently he's really an artist as well.
    My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by Dead-Air
      Shatner's old work was laughable to the point of being enjoyable from presumably the opposite reasons intended, which earned him a spot on Rhino's Golden Throats compilation for his absolutely absurd rendition of "Mr. Tambourine Man". However, his newest album Has Been is actually amazingly good!

He seems to surprisingly get the joke that is his own "singing" career, and is matched up with some top notch production to take us through an aural journey where we seem to be laughing with him rather than at him. Check out "You'll Have Time" for one of the funniest ironic songs about death you are likely to ever hear, and then there's "That's Me Trying" where the irony actually outweighs the humor for a poignant piece about failed parenthood.

I still believe what everyone else in the Star Trek crew had to say about him being a narcissistic asshole, but apparently he's really an artist as well.

yes, indeed! -and in my opinion, nothing beats his Rocket Man, but I Can't Get Behind That and Common People were the only two songs I heard from Has Been. He is a funny guy. Have you seen that short video,I think from an awards ahow, of Shatner doing Seven? now that was a pure artform.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Shatner was a pretty good actor in his early days, with some interesting credits, including Roger Corman's The Intruder (1961) and Incubus (1965), filmed entirely in Esperanto. His rendition of Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds is a classic though...
        'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

What, no mention of Nimoy's.....umm......curiously compelling "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins"? :o

I bought a combo CD with the "very best" of Shatner and Nimoy...needless to say, it's one of the most prized items in my CD collection, although not for the reasons they originally intended, I suspect. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Marca
            Shatner was a pretty good actor in his early days, with some interesting credits, including Roger Corman's The Intruder (1961) and Incubus (1965), filmed entirely in Esperanto. His rendition of Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds is a classic though...
            Incubus was.... It was not very good. Shatner's Esperanto (I was studying it at the time for some reason I can't remember) not so easy to understand either.
            Yuki says, "Krimson used to be known as Kommando, but he rarely uses that name anymore. Sometimes he appears as Krimson Gray as well. Do not be confused, he still loves cats and bagels."

Comment

Originally posted by Pellaz
              What, no mention of Nimoy's.....umm......curiously compelling "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins"? :o

I bought a combo CD with the "very best" of Shatner and Nimoy...needless to say, it's one of the most prized items in my CD collection, although not for the reasons they originally intended, I suspect. :D
              My friend crashed his car listening to that CD. He was laughing so much he couldn't keep his eyes on the road...

I think Leonard Nimoy was sorely underrated on that CD - great covers like "If I were a carpenter" and "If I had a hammer".

I wonder if anyone else noticed that Alanis Morrissette song "Ironic" was a total Rip-Off of "how illogical". At least Nimoy seems to have a better grasp of the meaning of the word.

Of course, the least said about Shatner's Shakespeare recital tracks the better ;)
              Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

I'm sure I read a quote by Shatner somwhere, where he said he realised he was no singer. To this end he decided to treat the lyrics as dramatic compositions rather than songs. IMO, when considered in this light 'The Transformed Man' works really well. The Shakespearean quotes etc are juxtaposed with the songs, to create a contrast or, in some cases, an elaboration. I feel this works exceptionally well with 'Romeo And Juliet/How Insensitive,' telling the tale of going from being totally love struck with someone, blind to all else, to taking them totally for granted, blind to their needs.

Anyway, that's how the critic in me perceives it. I also think he can't sing for toffee, and the album is a total hoot. Love it. 'Has Been' is a pretty good album too, partly for the same reasons and partly 'cause some of the tracks are quite good. I agree lemec, I think 'Common People' is the pick of the bunch.

Leonard Nimoy, on the other hand, does think he can sing and hits the right spot for similiar reasons to Bill. He really is funny on his albums. Is there a jauntier pile of shit than 'Bilbo Baggins'?
                You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

% the greatest little hobbit in the world! %

As opposed to those BIG hobbits, of course.....

Comment

Yeah, I bought a copy of Shatner's 'The Transformed Man' CD a while back . . .

I dunno, I look at it like the stuff Mike and Bob Calvert did with Hawkiwnd: it's all Art and Artistic Expression, so I take it as that.

Is there a jauntier pile of shit than 'Bilbo Baggins'?
                    Have you ever heard 'Illogical?' or maybe it's called 'Totally Illogical.'

He can (sort of) carry a tune. . . kinda . . . well, at least he's a good director
                    Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

I still want to see Shatner do a complete one-man version of Julius Caesar.

If Patrick Stuart can perform A Christmas Carol by himself, why not? ;)

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Yeah...Yeah.. William Shatner and the GORN could be Cassius

Last edited by voilodian ghagnasdiak; 07-05-2006, 11:28 AM.

Comment

I do have that tune DeepFixer, but I'm afraid I don't remember it. I'll have to have another listen.
                          You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Upset a Tolkien fan today!
                            \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Originally posted by lemec
                              I still want to see Shatner do a complete one-man version of Julius Caesar.

If Patrick Stuart can perform A Christmas Carol by himself, why not? ;)
                              Will this do?
                              Best/Mario

Comment

Working...
                              X