Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Counting Crows vs. Goo Goo Dolls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counting Crows vs. Goo Goo Dolls

Saw the Counting Crows / Goo Goo Dolls show here (Seattle area) last night. Good show. But there's one thing I can't help but do when there's a double-headliner show with two well-established bands: compare them. Did either one show the other up? Did either one show obvious superiority of talent?

Yes.

Goo Goo Dolls went on first. It was still light out (show was in an amphitheater) and warm. Although the sound system seemed to be a bit over-driven, the songs were tight and the singer didn't get all artsy with the live versions (I hate that). They did Iris, which was fabulous, but neglected to do Long Way Down, which bummed me a little. Lots of new stuff, of course, which did sound really good (except for the afore-mentioned overdriven speakers). Stage show was alright, though someone should tell them that a smoke machine in an amphitheater is just silly.

It was dark when Counting Crows came on, which had the immediate benefit of making their light show much more impressive than that of the Dolls. Secondly, the projection screens could be used, so those of us in the nosebleed seats got to see the artists up close.

But neither of those things has anything to do with musical talent. In that area, I must admit I was surprised at the result of my comparison of the two groups. I had gone to see the Goo Goo Dolls, but I left strongly impressed by Counting Crows and considering them the hands-down "winner".

The Dolls are glam-rock stars and they did a fantastic job of being just that. I enjoyed it a lot.

But Counting Crows are musical craftsmen. Four chord hard rock songs paled in comparison to their more intricately developed melodies. Plus, they incorporate a mandolin. A mandolin!

I should mention that both bands have exceptional lyrics. Intelligent lyrics. Can't fault either on that front.

As I said, I went to see the Goo Goo Dolls. I thought Counting Crows would be a nice addition. I had no idea how much of an underestimation that was.

So, yeah, the Crows win, even if it was obvious Adam Duritz has become sick of singing Mr. Jones.

Maybe the Goo Goo Dolls should have done Long Way Down.
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

I know only one Counting Crows song, and it makes me sick

maybe I'm missing something...
    http://punishyourself.free.fr
    http://myspace.com/cheerleader69theband
    http://myspace.com/1969wasfine

Comment

Originally posted by vx69
      I know only one Counting Crows song, and it makes me sick
      I think I only knew one song -- the afore-mentioned Mr. Jones -- and truly did not expect Counting Crows to be as good as they were.

Originally posted by vx69
      maybe I'm missing something...
      Or maybe it's just not your cup o' tea.

Currently listening to your Cheerleader 69 track Overused. Good stuff, man! Dark. Sombre. Perhaps even the antithesis of Counting Crows, hmm?
      "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
      --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Working...
      X