Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What's This Called? Version 2.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This week on What's This Called? with your host Ricardo Wang, on KPSU, we have a very special live guest, Portland's own electronic experimenter Mortal Engines.

Featuring influences along the lines of Coil, the Hafler Trio, Psychic T.V./Throbbing Gristle, and Zoviet France, Don Avera aka Mortal Engines will be creating a hypnotic set of unpredictable loops and beats.

That's Saturday, 4/14/2007 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time (that's 4-5 PM in Buenos Aires, Argentina!)

STREAMING LIVE RIGHT HERE!

1450 AM in the Portland OR/Vancouver WA metro area
    98.3 FM on the Portland State University campus

Also, here is the much belated playlist from last weeks mammoth show of live guests. Due to computer problems at the station, the playlist for the special 4-5 PM segment featuring Seattle band Joy Wants Eternity was sadly lost, as was the MP3 download in the archives. However, you can still download the Noon to 1 PM segment featuring Blue Light Curtain HERE and the 1 PM to 2 PM segment featuring Crank Sturgeon and Pop Culture Rape Victim HERE!

Artist - Song/Track/Experience - Album/etc. - Label

Joy Wants Eternity - "Existences Rust" - You Who Pretend to Sleep - Beep Repaired
    Earthmonkey - "Be That Charge" - Be That Charge - Beta-Lacta Ring
    Daniel Menche - "Sunder Two (excerpt)" - Deluge & Sunder - Beta-Lactam Ring

Blue Light Curtain - LIVE on What's This Called?

Pulse Emitter - "Creeping Obesity (excerpt)" - Creeping Obesity - Chrondritic Sound
    Soup Purse - "Colony Structures Reinforce Larger Bodies" - Nanonpocolyptic Profizzy - Obscurica
    Jake Rose - "Shadows on the Sun" - Shirk - indie
    Noisettes vs. Mortal Engines - "Reisetag" - Static Blue - indie

Crank Sturgeon& Pop Culture Rape Victim LIVE on What's This Called?

Oliver Squash - "Too Much Slack" - O'liver Squash - indie
    Rebecca Moore - "Stilletoed Young Stars" - Home Wreckordings 1997-1999 - Knitting Factory
    Zoe Keating - "We Insist" - One Cello x 16: Natoma - indie
    My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

• Playlist for What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang for Saturday, 4/14/2007

Featuring a live set, and great interview, with Mortal Engines.

DOWNLOAD THE PROGRAM OR PLAY STREAM HERE!

Artist - Song/Track/Experience - Album - Recording Label

Joy Wants Eternity - "What Lies Beyond" - You Who Pretend to Sleep - Beep Repaired
      Enchanted 4st - "Digitalis" - Forest Friends Liberation Army - indie
      Sex Mob - "Nobody Does it Better" - Sex Mob Does Bond - Rope a Dope
      Go Home Productions - "Dirty Bottle (Sonic Youth vs. Christian Aguilera) - MP3 - indie
      Louis & Bebe Baron - "Forbidden Planet: Main Titles" - Brain in a Box - Rhino

Mortal Engines LIVE on What's This Called?

Eric Winstone Orchestra - "Dr. Who Theme" - Brain in a Box - Rhino

I took some pictures of Mortal Engines Live, but I did it with my holga, which is a film camera, so I won't be able to post them for a little bit. However, here are some choice holga shots of the 3 different live sets last week!
      from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time.

Blue Light Curtain

Crank Sturgeon

Joy Wants Eternity

Next Week: The KPSU Pledge Drive with special live guests Childhood Friends rockin' it.

Visit my Flickr Page!
      My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

• This week marks the KPSU PLEDGE DRIVE which means that in order to encourage you to support our public/community station, we're busting out some major programming!

What's This Called? is no exception, with a special live appearance Saturday 4/21/2007 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time (that's 10-11 PM in Transylvania!) by Portland's own Childhood Friends

Childhood Friends are a married couple who have used that fact at times to get gigs as "folk musicians" and then proceeded to scare the living hell out of the people that booked them with a set of ultra-dark experimental pop turbulence. It would be easy to call them "post gothic" since they're so damn menacing and pretty at the same time, but that wouldn't be fair to their multitude of other influences. Their recent album Scars is burning itself into the flesh of Portland and everywhere else they travel."

STREAMING LIVE RIGHT HERE!

For those tuning in to listen to this beautiful cacophony, host Ricardo Wang will have some very special Thank You Gifts to entice you to call (503) 725-5945 and Pledge your support for KPSU!:

For any Pledge of $14.50 or more, you may have a limited edition (as in you can't get this anywhere else!) CDR recording of the incredible Tokyo aggressive prog-rockers Green Milk from the Planet Orange who will coincidentally be playing a live show at Rotture in Portland the same night!

For any Pledge of $75 or more, local experimental label Beta-Lactam Ring Records has generously donated a one year subscription to a monthly cd release by British ambient/experimental sound art virtuoso Andrew Liles! That's 12 cds, if you'd like help with the math.

Comment

• Playlist for What's This Called? for Saturday 4/21/2007 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time on KPSU.

Featuring a special live Pledge Drive support performance by Portland's own Childhood Friends!

DOWNLOAD THE PROGRAM OR PLAY STREAM HERE!

Artist - Song/Track - Album/Experience - Recording Label

David Sylvian - "A Fire in the Forest" - Blemish - Samadhisound
          Sonic Youth - "In the Kingdom #19" - Evol - SST
          Jake Rose - "Love Me" - Shirk - indie
          Little Roger & the Goosebumps - "Stairway to Gilligan's Island" - Single - MP3

Childhood Friends LIVE on What's This Called?

Comment

• Yep, it's that time of week again! I'm actually thrilled the the episode of What's This Called? with your host Ricardo Wang on KPSU for Saturday, April 28th 2007, from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time (that's 9-10 PM in Rome!) has no guest musician whatsoever!

That's right, after hosting fabulous live performances earlier this month from Blue Light Curtain, Crank Sturgeon & Pop Culture Rape Victim, Joy Wants Eternity, Mortal Engines, and Childhood Friends, I'm actually going to be devoting this hour long program to playing recordings! For all the fun of hosting live acts, obviously the biggest joy of being a dj is playing music for people that you hope they'll like. So that's what will be going down this time.

STREAMING AUDIO RIGHT HERE!!

1450 AM
            in the Portland OR/Vancouver WA metro area

It is also the close out for the KPSU Pledge Drive, so I'd love if you called during the program at (503) 725-5945 and pledged your support for the station and for experimental/eclectic programming on the weekend daytime. I've got special Thank You gifts from Green Milk from the Planet Orange, Andrew Liles, and lots more for those who do. I've said it before, but it's true, the KPSU Pledge drive is the best deal in public radio, because our Thank You gifts are nearly all valued at more than the amount we ask you to pledge! I'll be listening for you!

Comment

• Playlist for What's This Called? with host Ricardo Wang on KPSU for Saturday 4/28/2007 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time.

DOWNLOAD PROGRAM OR PLAY STREAM HERE!

Artists - Song/Track - Album - Recording Label

This Heat - "Twilight Furniture" - This Heat - ReR
              Earth - "Miami Morning Coming Down" - Hibernaculum - Southern Lord
              Pop Culture Rape Victim - "Let Rest Your Fragile Thoughts (excerpt)" - Let Rest Your Fragile Thoughts - Gravity Swarm
              Earthmonkey - "Disc 2, Track 4" - Be That Charge - Beta-Lacta Ring
              L. A. Lungs - "South Tomorrow"I've Called You Sexy Woman on a Tuesday Night Before - Hand Panther
              The Berg Sans Nipple - "Nonante-Trots" - Along the Quai - Team Love
              Fred Frith - "Impur (excerpt)" - Impur - ReR
              The Sea & Cake - "Transparent" - Everybody - Thrill Jockey
              Crank Sturgeon - "Nayr!oca/eletoan" - My Endangered Expressive Soil - indie

Comment

• Playlist for What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang for Saturday, May 5th, 2007 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time.

DOWNLOAD AS MP3 OR PLAY AUDIO STREAM HERE!!

Artist - Song/Track - Album/Source - Recording Label

Einsturzende Neubauten - "Perpetuum Mobile" - Official Bootleg - indie
                Pierre Henry - "Electro-Genese" - Mise en Musique du Corticalart de Roger Lafosse - Phillips
                Santa Sangre - "La Viaje Mystical" - Bastardo America - indie
                Chris Cutler - "Track 5" - There and Back Again - ReR
                Sonic Youth - "Green Light" - EVOL - SST
                Joy Wants Eternity - "From Embrace to Embrace" -You Who Pretend to Sleep - Beep Repaired
                Metalux & Jon Weise - "Untitled #4" - Exoteric - Load
                Crank Sturgeon - "FIEBN TACA" - My Endangered Expressive Soil - indie
                Gowns - "Feathers" - S/T e.p. - Folktale
                Earthmonkey - "Track 7 Discoballistic" - Be That Charge - Beta-Lactam Ring
                The Sadnesses - I Love You Sheila Chandra - MP3 - Ronda

Comment

• Playlist for What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang on
                  KPSU for Saturday, May 12th, 2007 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific time.

DOWNLOAD AS MP3 OR PLAY AUDIO STREAM HERE!

Artist - Song/Track - Album - Recording Label

Sonic Youth - "Death to Our Friends" - EVOL - SST
                  Gowns - "Cherylee" - Red State - Cardboard Records
                  Chris Herbert - "Elisa" - Mezzotint - Kranky
                  Einsturzende Neubauten - "Dead Friends" - Official Bootleg - indie
                  Andrew Liles - "Root Canal" - Black Hole - Beta-Lacta Ring
                  Pierre Henry - "Voyage" - Mise en Musique du Corticalart de Roger Lafosse - Phillips
                  Fluorescent Grey - "I Am a Photograph of My Old Driveway" - Ghos Busters III - Record Label Records
                  Chris Cutler - Track 13 - There and Back Again - ReR
                  White Magic - "What I See" - Dat Rosa Mel Apibus - Drag City
                  Ghost - "Motherly Bluster" - In Stormy Nights - Drag City
                  Savage Republic - "Next to Nothing" - Tragic Figures - Independant Projects
                  Nobody & Mystic Chords of Memory - "Floating" - Tree Colored See - Mush Records

Comment

• Playlist for What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang on KPSU for Saturday, 5/19/2007 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time.

DOWNLOAD PROGRAM AS MP3 OR PLAY STREAM HERE!~

98.3 FM on Portland State University campus

Artist - Song or Track - Album - Recording Label

L. A. Lungs - "A Metaphor for Comfort I (It's the Harg Knock Life)" - A Metaphor for Comfort - Ergot
                    Gowns - "White Like Heaven" - Red State - Cardboard Records
                    Nice Nice - "Uh-Oh (dj rupture's coma teen chart damage remix)" - Yesss! - Audraglint
                    Bent Bolt & the Nuts - "The Mechanical Man" - Greasy Kids Stuff 2 - Confidential
                    Legendary Pink Dots - "Black Highway" - Ancient Days - Beta-Lactam Ring
                    Joy Wants Eternity - "Uriel" - You Who Pretend to Sleep -Beep Repaired
                    F. J. Pangolin - "The Maidenhead Graph" - MP3 - indie
                    James Blackshaw - "Spiralling Skeleton Memorial" - O True Believers - Important Records
                    Yo La Tengo - "Mr. Tough" - I'm Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass - Matador
                    Simply Saucer - "Mole Machine" - Cyborgs Revisited - Sonic Unyon
                    Fursaxa - "Alone in the Dark Wood" - Alone in the Dark Wood - ATP Recordings

Last edited by Dead-Air; 05-19-2007, 02:57 PM.

Comment

• Playlist for What's This Called? with your host Ricardo Wang on KPSU for Saturday, May 26th, 2007 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time.

DOWNLOAD THE PROGRAM AS MP3 OR PLAY STREAM HERE!

Animal Collective - "Bees" - Feels - Fat Cat
                      Nurse With Wound/Hafler Trio - "Hit It Again (side 2, excerpt)" - Hit It Again - Staaltape
                      Sonic Youth - "Psycho Mafia" - 4 Tunna Brix - Goofin'
                      Muslim Gauze - "Extreme Anti-Arab Zionist" - Jaal Ab Dullah - Soleilmoon
                      Gowns - "Mercy Springs" - Red State - Cardboard Records
                      Ennio Morricone - "Astratto 3" - Crime and Dissonance - Ipecac
                      Residents - "The Walrus Hunt" - Eskimo - Ralph
                      Einsturzende Neubauten - "Heaven is Honey (live)" - Official Bootleg - indie
                      Pierre Henry - "Limonaire" - Mise en Musique du Corticalart de Roger Lafosse - Phillips
                      Baby Grandmothers - "Somebody Keeps Calling My Name" - Baby Grandmothers - Subliminal Sounds

Comment

• I had to miss last week due to a family emergency, so this week's What's This Called? returns to your earwaves with a STREAMING AUDIO VENGENCE!

It starts at Noon Pacific Time in just 35 minutes.

On tap: Enio Morricone at his damn weirdest and best, a couple artists playing the 13th Annual Olympia Experimental Music Festival in just a couple weeks - Oliver Squash and Portland's own METAL, classic stuff from Bad Brains, new stuff from Dub Trio, and Furaxa!

Comment

• Playlist for What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang on KPSU for Saturday, 6/9/2007 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time.

DOWNLOAD AS MP3 OR PLAY AUDIO STREAM HERE!

Ennio Morricone - "Trafelato" - Crime and Dissonance - Ipecac
                          Fursaxa - "Sheds Her Skin" - Alone in the Dark Wood - ATP Recordings
                          Gowns - "Subside" - Red State - Cardboard Records
                          Oliver Squash - "Golden" - O'liver Squash - indie
                          Bad Brains - "Big Take Over" - Bad Brains - ROIR
                          Dub Trio - "Angle of Acceptance" - Cool Out and Coexist - ROIR
                          Joy Wants Eternity - "Death is a Door That Opens" - You Who Pretend to Sleep - Beep Repaired
                          Tangerine Dream - "Resurrection" - Electronic Meditation - Castle Communications
                          John Cage - "Rozart Mix (1965)" - An Anthology of Noise & Electronic Music - Sub Rosa
                          METAL - "The Defeat of Modern Evil" - Oregone - Oregeone
                          Anla Coutis/Ralf Wehowsky - "Cristalizacion Espontanea" - Return of the Stone Spirits - Beta-Lactam Ring
                          Current 93 -"The Frolic" - All the Pretty Little Horeses - Import

Comment

• KPSU is proud to be bringing to the NW airwaves (and global streamwaves!) two of the performers who will be gracing the stage of the Olympia Eagle's Hall for the 13th Annual Olympia Experimental Music Festival at the end of this month.

First up, on my own What's This Called? program, this Saturday, June 16th from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time, I'm thrilled to welcome live in the studio Portland OR's own Argumentix! Guaranteed to haunt your soul with his mix of voice and tapes, James Squeaky AKA Argumentix will be playing the 22nd up in Oly, and this set will give you a chance to see why one critic described him as "not unlike Ariel Pink doing musique concrète"!

Then, this coming Wednesday, June 20th (just one day before the festival begins up north!) from 6-7 PM on the one and only Church of Blasphuphmus (Not Jesus) Show your dashing host Yet Another Pope Austin Rich is totally stoked to present none other than the pride of Cambridge Pensylvania Oliver Squash! Playing completely original music informed by '60s psych rock and the most nonconforming aspects of the post-punk movement, Mr. Squash is a legend in the underground home-tape trading community. This is his first ever jaunt to the west coast, for just two nights: this radio appearance and the headlining spot Saturday, June 23rd at the Olympia festival. This man plays music that has brought the FCC to his door complaining that he was interfering with air traffic control - and we are not making that up!

Both shows will of course stream live from the KPSU website (i.e. RIGHT HERE!)

For those lucky enough to be in the Portland OR/Vancouver WA metro area tune into 1450 AM, or if you're really, really lucky and on the Portland State University campus try 98.3 FM for a full on stereo experience!

And we'll see y'all at the festival in Oly!

Comment

• Playlist for What's This Called? with host Ricardo Wang for Saturday, June 16th, 2007 from Noon to 2 PM (extra hour due to missing relief dj).

DOWNLOAD PROGRAM AS MP3 OR PLAY STREAM HERE!
                              The second hour, after Argumentix left can be heard HERE.

This week featured a special live set from Portland experimental musician Argumentix in anticipation of his performance to come on 6/22 at the 13th Annual Olympia Experimental Music Festival. He was joined for the second half of his set by musician Kitty Midwife who plays with him in a duo called Noise Divorce. The program went an extra hour, surprising even me, when nobody showed up for the next show.

Artist - Song/Track - Album/Experience - Recording Label

Childhood Friends - "Bunny Soup" - Scars - indie
                              Dead Air Fresheners - "An Ulcer is a String of Pearls (edit)" - An Ulcer is a String of Pearls - Kill Pop Tarts

Argumentix Live on What's This Called?

Oliver Squash - "Spokes" - O'liver Squash - indie
                              Baby Grandmothers - "Being Is More Than Life (2)" - Baby Grandmothers - Subliminal Sounds
                              Wooden Wand - "We Must Also Love the Thieves" - James and the Quiet - Ecstatic Peace
                              Legendary Pink Dots - "The Made Man's Manifesto" - Your Children Placate You from Premature Graves - ROIR
                              Gowns - "White Like Heaven" - Red State - Cardboard Records
                              Sun Ra - "Atlantis (cut)" - Atlantis - Evidence

Comment

• After taking last week off to take in the 13th Annual Olympia Experimental Music Festival I'm thrilled to be back in Portland with more new music than I can possibly fit into an hour for this week's What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang! Squeeze it in, however, I must between Noon and 1 PM Pacific Time (3-4 PM for you East Coast folk, 8-9 PM in London) on KPSU.

As always, STREAMING AUDIO RIGHT HERE!

or 1450 AM for those in the Portland OR/Vancouver WA metro area
                                and 98.3 FM on the Portland Statue University campus

featuring stuff I got from people who played the festival such as Marissa Magic, Better People, Oliver Squash, Metal, and Long Legged Woman; plus stuff I got from people who were in the audience such as Soup Purse (who will be live on What's This Called? some time in August), F.J. Pangolin (down from Tacoma), and Cyclopsycho (with some awesome experimental voice tracks). Then there's the stuff I've been wanting to play for the past two weeks but not had the chance such as Synth Destruction featuring Merzbow & Carlos Giffoni, Thuston Moore's Flipped Out Bride record, and the Wiretapper #17!

Obviously, I'm going to have to excerpt a few of the longer tracks I have lined up, but this is certainly going to be one energetic aural feast, not to be missed!

For some photos I took at the Oly fest, follow this link!

Last edited by Dead-Air; 06-29-2007, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X