Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What's This Called? Version 2.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A 2006Retrospective of all the things that blipped and squeaked and growled and snarled and whispered and droned and crashed and burned and rose again in your speakers.What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang on KPSU for 12/30/2006 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time (that's 8-9 PM in Mogadishu, Somalia!)

STREAMING AUDIO RIGHT HERE!

I make no claim that this is the "best" music of 2006, as I don't know what that really means. I will be featuring tracks from the likes of Legendary Pink Dots, Sonic Youth, Childhood Friends, Wolf Eyes, Mission of Burma, Pere Ubu, Orbit Service, Gricer, Gowns, King Kong Ding Dong, Black Happy Day, and more...
    My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Streaming 2006 Redux Right Now!
      My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Playlist for What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang on KPSU for Saturday, Dec. 30th 2006 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time (with lengthy pre-game show featuring guest DJ Guy Bombardo beforehand!)

1450 AM in the Portland OR/Vancouver WA metro area
        98.3 FM on the Portland State University campus

A retrospective of 2006.

Artist - Track/Song - Album - Recording Label

Brunnen - "Shame" - The Beekeeper's Dream - Beta-Lactam Ring
        Sonic Youth - "Pink Steam" - Rather Ripped - DGC
        Tonehenge (feat. Rowena Moore) - "Lift Every Voice" - Oregone Compilation - Oregone
        Mission of Burma - "The Mute Speaks Out" - The Obliterati - Matador
        Gricer - "Trumpet" - s/t - Taut Recordings
        Pere Ubu - "Flames Over Nebraska" - Why I Hate Women - Smog Veil
        Legendary Pink Dots - "Stigmata (pt 4)" - Your Children Placate You from Premature Dreams - ROIR
        Orbit Service - "Wolves" - Songs of Eta Carinae - Beta-Lactam Ring
        Black Happy Day - "In the Garden of Ghostflowers" - In the Garden of Ghostflowers - Silber
        Pasiflora - "Belly" - Women Take Back the Noise - Ubuibi
        The Noisettes - "Showers & Baths" - Reek of Influence - Icky Recordings
        Hunny - "Skin on My Bugs" - Synnesthesia - Icky Recordings
        Childhood Friends (featuring Rollerball) - "I already Know" - Scars - indie

And the Pre-Game Show featuring guest dj Guy Bombardo fresh in from the American SW (the Albert Ayler track was actually my selection, however the rest was all him.) Obviously, this portion was not a 2006 retrospective!

Albert Ayler - "Spirits Rejoice Spirits Rejoice ESP
        The Gourds - "Leather Truck" - Ghosts of Hallelujah - Munich
        Yabby You - "Steppin High" - Dub It To The Top - Blood and Fire
        Blind Boys of Alabama - "Higher Ground" - Higher Ground - Real World
        Sorry Bamba - "Porry" - Loves a Real Thing - Luaka Bop
        The Cynics - "She Lives" - Living Is Best Revenge - Get Hip
        X - "Burning House of Love" - Beyond and Back - Elektra
        Lyres - "Soapy" - Early Years - Crypt
        Suzi Quatro - "Glycerine Queen" - Wild One - Razor and Tie
        Up Bustle and Out - "Dance of Caravan Summer" - Light 'Em Up - Ninja Tune
        Vampire Sound Inc - "Lion and Cucumber" - Jackie Brown - WB
        Stereolab - "Refractions in Plastic Pulse" - Dots and Loops - Elektra
        Bob Dylan - "Tonight I'll Be Staying w/You" - Nashville Skyline - Columbia
        Hi Fi Killers - "Like A Lion" - Stretch - Loose Groove
        Little Willie John - "Fever" - Best of - Rhino
        Captain Beefheart - "I'm Gonna Booglerize You, Baby" - Spotlight Kid - Reprise
        Deadmoon - "Down The Road" - Live/Mono - Empty
        The Move - "Ella James" - Best of - EMI

Comment

Saturday, January 6th, 2007, What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang on KPSU will be a special Two Hour program from Noon until 2 PM Pacific Time. (That's 11 PM - 1 AM in Mogadishu, Somalia!)

STREAMING AUDIO RIGHT HERE!!

With an extra hour to fill with sonic goodness, I'm looking at unfolding some longer things I've wished I had time for in past weeks. Tune in to hear just what...

Comment

Playlist for What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang on KPSU for Saturday, January 6th from Noon to 2 PM Pacific Time.

DOWNLOAD PROGRAM AS MP3S OR PLAY STREAMS HERE!

1450 AM
            in the Portland OR/Vancouver WA metro area

Sonic Youth - "Track 2" - SYR 6 - SYR
            Man Man - "The Fog or China" - Man Man - Ace Fu
            Gyorgy Ligeti/London Sinfonietta - "Chamber Conecrto Corrente/ Calmo, Sestenulo/ Moviemento Preciso e Meccanico/ Presto" - Warp Works & Twentieth Century Masters - Warp
            L. A. Lungs - "My Legos, My Legacy" - I've Called You Sexy Woman on a Tuesday Night Before - Hand Panther
            Childhood Friends - "Love Theme" - Scars - indie
            Legendary Pink Dots - "The Poppy Variations Pt 2" - Poppy Variations - Beta-Lactam Ring
            James Brown - "Christmas in Heaven" - Funky Christmas - WEA
            Better People - "Rule of Divide" - Black Noise - indie
            Biathalon - "Underwater is a Place to Be..." - Oregone - Oregone
            Better People - "Sphere of Taking" - Black Noise - indie
            Kangen - "Seigalha" - Gagaku: Japanese Traditional Music - King Record Co.
            Gullwing - "Lake Huron" - MP3 - indie
            Zoe Keating - "Sun Wil Set" - One Cello x 16: Natoma - indie
            Roto Visage - "Into Transformation" - La Muse Cache - indie
            Celebration - "Ancient Animals" - Celebration - 4AD
            R.O.U.D.O.S. - "Know Some Things" - Chillicious - Waveform
            Last edited by Dead-Air; 01-15-2007, 07:07 PM.

Comment

I've been so busy with band stuff this week, I've failed to do any advance on my radio show, but it's streaming live in 2 minutes!

http://www.kpsu.org

Comment

Playlist for What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang on KPSU for Saturday, January 13th from Noon to 2 PM Pacific Time.

DOWNLOAD PROGRAM AS MP3 OR LISTEN TO STREAM HERE!

98.3 FM on Portland State University campus

Artist - Song/Track - Album - Recording Label

Noisettes vs. Mortal Engines - "Colussus" - Static Blue - indie
                Metal - "The Defeat of Modern Evil" - Live at the Artistery - indie
                Ophibre - "A Simple Desk" - Radio Mix - indie
                Black Happy Day - "Wolf & Hare" - In the Garden of Ghostflowers - Silber
                Portland Bicycle Ensemble - "Concerto 6" - Oregone - Oregone
                Mustafa Ozkent - "Dolana" - Genclik ile elele - B-Music Records
                Mouse on Mars - "Unity Concepts" - Idiology - Thrill Jockey
                King Kong Ding Dong - "Heya" - s/t - indie
                Gogol Bordello - "Copycat" - East Infection - Rubric Records
                Shalloboi - "Petals" - Petals - Endless December
                Rebecca Moore - "Thaw" - Home Wreckordings 1997-1999 - Knitting Factory
                Childhood Friends - "Prey" - Scars - indie
                Sonic Youth - "Making the Nature Scene" - Confusion is Sex - SST
                Joseph K - "Forever Drone" - Entomology - Domino
                Gowns - "Gloves" - s/t - Folktale
                Edward Ka-Spel - "Six Cats on a Dead Man's Chest" - Eyes! China Doll - Beta-Lactam Ring
                Daniel Menche - "CD 1 Track 7" - Concussions - Asphodel
                David Sylvian - "Late Night Shopping" - Blemish - Samadhisound
                The Hafler Trio - "Placing the Seed (extract)" - Sometimes Silence is an Answer - Soleilmoon
                Del Brent & John Close - "Basic Hip" - How to Speak Hip - Mercury Stereo
                Propagation - "Michiko Kawagoe" -Women Take Back the Noise - Ubuibi
                irr.app.(ext.) - "Milking the Dead for Distraction" - Perekuchenie - Beta-Lactam Ring
                Hunny - "Ballad of the Brick" - Synnesthesia - Icky Recordings
                Interstellar Doom - "White Dwarf (exerpt)" - Reek of Influence - Icky Recordings

Comment

This week features the last of the recent run of two hour What's This Called? programs with your host Ricardo Wang, tomorrow - Saturday, January 20th from Noon to 2 PM Pacific Time (that's 2-4 PM in Managua, Nicaragua) on KPSU.

STREAMING EXPERIMENTAL, POST-PUNK, DRONE, NOISEY & BEAUTIFUL AUDIO AVAILABLE FROM RIGHT HERE!

98.3 FM for the lucky few on Portland State University campus

This week featuring two full hours of the likes of Le Ton Mite, Ophibre, Noisettes vs. Mortal Engines, Live at the Artistery, Mouse on Mars, Sun City Girls, The Red Krayola, and much more!

Comment

Streaming Live in 8 Minutes!

Comment

Playlist for What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang on KPSU for Saturday, 1/20/2007 from Noon to 2 PM Pacific Time.

DOWNLOAD PROGRAM AS MP3 OR LISTEN TO STREAM HERE!

The program goes back to a single hour, from the recent spate of two hour shows, next week when I will be followed by a new (to the 1 PM time slot) show called Space is the Place. Obviously, I view being followed by a show named after a classic Sun Ra song (and movie!) a good thing!

Artist - Song/Track - Album - Recording Label (if any)

Sonic Youth - "Loop Cat" - The Destroyed Room - DGC
                      Ghost - "Motherly Bluster" - In Stormy Nights - Drag City
                      Tubeway Army - "Praying to the Aliens" - Replicas - Beggars Banquet
                      Le Ton Mite - "We Burst When We Meet" - Tickets to Real Imaginary Places - Zicmuse
                      Noisettes vs. Mortal Engines - "Tektonic" - Static Blue - indie
                      Kruder & Dorfmeister/Count Basic - "Speechless (Drum 'n' Bass remix)" - The K & D Sessions - !K7
                      Siousxie and the Banshees - "Melt!" - Twice Upon A Time: The Singles - Polydor
                      Sun City Girls - "Camp Sulawesi" - Superculto 3: Carnival Folklore Ressurection - indie
                      Talibam! - "Track 2" - Hungry Hungry Hemispheres - indie
                      Mouse on Mars - "Catching Butterflies with Hands" - Idiology - Thrill Jockey
                      Kramer - "Bloody Rainbow" - I Killed the Monster - Second Shimmy
                      The Watery Graves (of Portland) - "Spanish Theme" - Live at the Artistery - indie
                      Ophibre - "Potato Harvest Parade Breakfast" - Radio Mix - indie
                      Red Krayola - "George III" - Fingerpainting - Drag City
                      Legendary Pink Dots - "Personal Monster" - Poppy Variations - Beta-Lactam Ring
                      Jandek - "Part Six" - Glasgow Monday - Corwood Industries
                      Daniel Menche - "CD2 Track 06" - Concussions - Asphodel
                      Roto Visage - "Her Veil Projected" - La Muse Cache - indie
                      Sun Ra - "Over the Rainbow" - Live at Praxis - Saturn
                      Alvin Lucier - "North American Time Capsule" - Vespers and Other Early Works - New World Records

Comment

Re: What's This Called? Version 2.0

What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang for Saturday, 1/27/2007 from Noon to Two PM Pacific Time (that's 3-5 PM on the very, very cold Eastern U.S coast!) on KPSU.

STREAMING AUDIO ASCENSION HERE!

98.3 FM for the lucky few on Portland State University's campus

Despite my announcement last week that my show would be cut back to the original one hour length to make room for a new program at KPSU, that didn't actually pan out as planned, so it will be two hours again for at least this week and next.

As the news of Alice Coltrane's passing on to another realm reached me after I had just finished last week's show, this week we'll begin with some of her music.

Also, for those who were listening a few months ago when I had the magnificent cellist Zoe Keating on What's This Called? you might remember that the performance was much more minimal than her usual multi-tracked one person orchestra pieces. That's because of an engineering snafu on our part, but Zoe took it remarkably well, and challenged her fans on her e-mail list to come up with a remix using the ultra-stripped down pieces from the show. Two young ladies named Suzanne and Samantha took her up on this dare and produced a masterful, and thankfully multi-tracked, remix called the "Legions (Special K's War Drum Mix)" that I am quite pleased to be playing on the show. Hopefully Zoe will respect us enough to come back on and let us get things right soon, but in the meantime, here's some wonderful lemonade to tide you over!

Other music in the 120 minutes of expunkamental drone, noise, and beauty include Portland artists Mattress and Arugmentix, classic northern head trips from Unfolkus and the Bran Flakes, and from outside the NW entirely, those ever loving Black Dice. All that and more and more.

Comment

Streaming Live in 10 Minutes!

Comment

Playlist for What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang on KPSU for Saturday, 1/27/2007 from Noon to 2 PM Pacific Time.

DOWNLOAD PROGRAM AS MP3s OR PLAY STREAMS HERE!

1450 AM in the Porltand OR/Vancouver WA metro area

Artist - Song/Track - Album - Recording Label

Alice Coltrane - "Andromeda Suffering" - Lord of Lords - Impulse!
                            Alice Coltrane - "Sri Rama Ohnedaruth"- Lord of Lords - Impulse!
                            Sonic Youth - "Beautiful Plateau" - The Destroyed Room - DGC
                            Zoe Keating - "Legions (Special K War Drum Mix)" - Remixes - indie
                            Unfolkus - "Im Nimmerland" - Unfolkus - Unit Circle
                            Black Dice - "Endless Happiness" - Beaches and Canyons - Fat Cat
                            Bran Flakes - "Evil Knievel" - I Don't Have a Friend - LOMO
                            Metal - "The Defeat of Modern Evil" - Oregone - Oregone
                            Janet Feder & Fred Frith - "Heart Beat Faster" - Ironic Universe - Ad Hoc Records
                            The Work - "1992" - Rubber Cafe - Ad Hoc Records
                            Arumentix & Ghost to Falco - "Closeland" - Widow Masters - indie
                            Mattress - "Forbidden Fruit" - Who Do You Lust - indie
                            Christian Vogel - "Me and My Shadow" - Rescate 137 - Mute
                            Autechre - "Goz Quarter" - Envane - Warp
                            Stereolab - "International Colouring Contest" - ABC Music Radio 1 Sessions - Koch Records
                            Legendary Pink Dots - "Spaced Out" - Ancient Daze - Beta-Lactam Ring
                            dDamage - "Tsunamiii" - Radio Ape - Plan

Next Week: Live in the studio, Portland's own ambient aquaboys Metal!

Comment

What's This Called? on 1450 AM in the Portland OR/Vancouver WA metro area, 98.3 FM for those lucky few on Portland State University campus and STREAMING LIVE FROM RIGHT HERE!

This Saturday, February 3rd from Noon to 2 PM Pacific Time, Host Ricardo Wang is joined in the KPSU studio by Portland Oregon's own masters of sonic ambiance METAL! Aaron Sheppard (AKA Beardo) and Eric Lee (AKA Laserwolf) make up this duet of spacey post-rock soundscapes who revel in pissing of "true metalheads" expecting to hear thrashing and power chords. METAL dish out something far more sublime, even subliminal, if no less menacing. METAL make the drowned cry underwater. METAL is quiet.

Comment

Playlist for What's This Called? with host Ricardo Wang and Special Musical Guest METAL on KPSU for Saturday, February 3rd from Noon to 2 PM Pacific Time.

DOWNLOAD BOTH 1 HR SEGMENTS AS MP3S OR PLAY THE STREAMS HERE!

program streamed live at www.kpsu.org during broadcast

Artist - Song/Track/Experience - Album - Recording Label

Sonic Youth - "Fauxhemians" - The Destroyed Room - DGC
                                J.P. Jenkins - "The Ocean Duck" - Oregone - Oregone
                                Argumentix+Ghost to Falco - "Closeland" - Widow Masters - indie
                                Shalloboi - "Neversong" - Petals - Endless December

METAL LIVE

Daniel Menche - "CD2 Track 02" - Concussions - Asphodel
                                Tubeway Army - "We Are So Fragile" - Replicas - Beggars Banquet

METAL LIVE

Metal - "The Defeat of Modern Evil" - Oregone - Oregone
                                Owl Dudes - "Butterfly Tatoo" - Oregone - Oregone
                                Husker Du - "Hare Krishna" - Zen Arcade - SST
                                King Kong Ding Dong - "Heya" - s/t - indie
                                The Work - "Brickyard" - Slow Crimes - Ad Hoc
                                David Sylvian - "Trauma" - Blemish - Samadhisound
                                Last edited by Dead-Air; 02-03-2007, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X