Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What's This Called? Version 2.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's This Called?with Ricardo Wang on KPSU
    for Saturday, 10/7/2006 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time
    (That's 9-10 PM in Jerusalem, Israel)

STREAMING AUDIO DRONOLOGY HERE!

1450 AM in the Portland OR/Vancouver WA metro area
    98.3 FM on Portland State University campus

I'm looking here at a huge pile of discs and tracks and mp3s (how can you pile the virtual? I'm not telling!) and realizing that in the single hour that What's This Called? contains, only some of this will actually get played, hopefully the very best...

Johann Johannsson (from Iceland), Black Happy Day, Gowns, Sykora, Hello Mofo (from the Isle of Wight), Gogol Bordello, LowFrequency, Kajumars (from Hamburg, Germany), Yo La Tengo, Grindwall (from Italy), the Chicano noiseband Sante Sagre, FaTaGaGas (from Portugal), Skullflower, Moscow Improvising Trio, OGOGO, Bill Bacon, Golden Death Music (from Ontario), Vulgaricus, plus classic post-punk from the first album by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds...

Then the following week (10/14/06) look for a live in studio melt down to kick off their U.S. tour by psych-rock prog-garage monsters Green Milk from the Planet Orange direct from Tokyo Japan!!
    Last edited by Dead-Air; 10-07-2006, 12:10 AM.
    My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Hi Dead-Air,

Speaking of mp3s, could you please squeeze in and play "(Nothing But) Flowers" by Talking Heads, sometime?

I don't have that one. It would be great to listen to it on my pc.

(I suppose I should go to one of those pay download sites....
      but, I thought I'd ask,hehe!)

Your show on the 7th should be pretty cool! I'll have to check it out.

Thanks!

-Lemec

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by lemec
        Hi Dead-Air,

Speaking of mp3s, could you please squeeze in and play "(Nothing But) Flowers" by Talking Heads, sometime?

I don't have that one. It would be great to listen to it on my pc.

(I suppose I should go to one of those pay download sites....
        but, I thought I'd ask,hehe!)

Your show on the 7th should be pretty cool! I'll have to check it out.

Thanks!

-Lemec
        I can sure look and see if we've got it at the station. I won't have time to grab it elsewhere this week, but can sure try to get it in sometime (and let you know when.)
        My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by Dead-Air
          I can sure look and see if we've got it at the station. I won't have time to grab it elsewhere this week, but can sure try to get it in sometime (and let you know when.)
          That's kick-ass, Dead-Air!

Thanks! Most Kind!

-Lem'

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
          - Michael Moorcock

Comment

No sign of it this week lemec. I'll see if next week can be pulled off, but it might be tricky as I have a live band in (an incredible live band at that, more to come on that part!) I may just have to tell you whenever it happens (your request), playing it by ear.

Comment

Playlist
              for What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang
              on KPSU for Saturday, 10/7/2006 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time

Download Program as an MP3 Here!

98.3 FM on the Portland State University Campus

Artist - Title - Album - Label

Johann Johannsson - "The Sun's Gone Dim and the Sky's Turned Black" - IBM 1401, A User's Manual - 4AD
              Black Happy Day - "Whore" - In the Garden of Ghostflowers - Silber Records
              Sykora - "Untitled SK Harp" - MP3 - indie
              Gogol Bordello - "Ave. B" - East Infection - Rubric Records
              Gowns - "Feathers" - Dangers of Intamacy - Folktale
              Yo La Tengo - "The Room Got Heavy" - I'm Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass - Matador
              LowFrequency - "Doctrine" - Analogue Machinery - indie
              Skullflower - "In the Depths of the Stagnant Pond" - Tribulation - Crucial Blast
              Kujamars - "Dead Men Walking" - MP3- indie
              Red Krayola - "Cruise Boat" - Introduction - Drag City
              Golden Death Music - "Walking Nightmare" - Ephemera Blues -indie
              Venetian Snares - "P" - Cavalcade of Glee and Dadaist Happy Hardcore Pom Poms - Plante Mu
              Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - "From Her to Eternity" - From Her to Eternity - Mute

Next Week: Direct from Tokyo, Japan, live in the studio, the powerful psychedelic neo-prog garage rock of Green Milk from the Planet Orange!
              Last edited by Dead-Air; 10-07-2006, 10:45 PM.

Comment

This week on What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang, I'm totally thrilled to present one of the most exciting live acts I've brought in, in 21 years of djing on public/college radio. Direct from Tokyo, Japan, Beta-Lactam Ring recording artists Green Milk from the Planet Orange are kicking off their U.S. tour with a performance in the glorious sub-basement studios of KPSU!

The fun begins to be unleashed Saturday, October 14th at Noon Pacific time, and last for one brief hour of glorious freedom rock meltdown.

STREAMING AUDIO VIBRATIONS HERE!

98.3 FM for those lucky few on Portland State University campus

Green Milk from the Planet Orange
                began their musical adventure with roots firmly entrenched in the Japanese grindcore movement, but somewhere along the way they discovered prog-rock and acid psychedelia. While they have never ceased to have the ability to channel their original pure energy power, they have also made plenty of room for introspection, spacy drones, and hypnotic harmony.

Their first album for Portland's own Beta-Lactam Ring Records, 2004's He's Crying Look was a surprisingly quiet and ambient affair much of the time, featuring serious nods towards the lengthy experimentation of their progressive rock influences. The more recent 2005 album City Calls Revolution is a much more raucous jaunt overall, with a decided turn towards their earlier aggressive direction and further examination of garage-psych in a full on in-your-face mix.

This incredibly talented power trio is gauranteed to shake the sub-basement of the Smith Student Union at PSU so hard that there might be some unintentional earthquake reports in the Portland metropolitan area. Well, mostly unintentional...

Comment

Less than 15 minutes until Green Milk from the Planet Orange LIVE!

Comment

Playlist for What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang
                    for Saturday, 10/14/2006 from Noon to 2 PM Pacific Time (includes bonus hour!)

featuring two half hour live sets by Beta-Lactam Ring recording artists direct from Tokyo, Japan: Green Milk from the Planet Orange !

Due to the surprise extended version of this show, you may download it in two separate segments:

1st Hour (GMFTPO starts playing about half way in)
                    2nd Hour (GMFTPO interview and second set right at the start)

1450 AM
                    in the Portland OR/Vancouver WA metro area
                    98.3 FM on the Portland State University Campus

Pasiflora - "Belly" - Women Take Back the Noise - Ubuibi
                    Muslimgauze - "Kabul is Free Under a Veil" - Jaal Ab Dullah - Soleilmoon
                    Orbit Service - "Asphyxia (dark ambient mix)" - Chillicious - Waveform
                    FaTaGaGaS - "Objects in Mirror" - MP3 - indie
                    Edward Ka-Spel - "Hey Rainman (forest friendly mix)" - Chillicious - Waveform

Green Milk from the Planet Orange LIVE

Cosey Fanni Tutti - "Wired" - Women Take Back the Noise - Ubuibi
                    Hello Mofo - "Feeding the Alchemist" - MP3 - indie

Green Milk from the Planet Orange INTERVIEW & LIVE (bonus 2nd set)

Kadet - "Osc/SecWomen" - Take Back the Noise - Ubuibi
                    Santa Sagre - "La Vije Mystical" - Bastardo America - indie
                    Sun Ra - "Watusa" - Space is the Place - Evidence
                    Yo La Tengo - "Bean Bag Chair" - I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass - Matador
                    Last edited by Dead-Air; 10-15-2006, 12:34 PM.

Comment

What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang on KPSU
                      for Saturday, October 21st 2006 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time
                      (that's 1 to 2 AM the next day in Astana, Kazakstan!)

STREAMING AUDIO HERE!

98.3 FM for those lucky few on Portland State University campus

I am literally gasping at all the incredible new music I have to scrunch into an hour this week. I'm actually seriously considering starting the show early for those listening on the internet and on campus, but I'm not making any promises, as I don't like to get up in the morning any more than anyone else...

Look for music from: Jackie-O Motherfucker, Ariel Kalma, Muslimgauze, La STPO, Jandek (live in Glasgow 2005!), Legendary Pink Dots from Ancient Daze (their earliest recorded works!), Black Happy Day, Green Milk from the Planet Orange (from the tour only cd they gave me last week!), more from the Women Take Back the Noise compilation, Edward Ka-Spel, The Itch Incident...

Comment

As promised, we're in the pre-game show Right Now!

"Regular" program follows at Noon Pacific Time as "usual".

Comment

Playlist for What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang on KPSU
                          for Saturday, October 21st, 2006 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time
                          with Special 11 AM to Noon Pre-Game Show this week!

DOWNLOAD PROGRAM AS MP3 OR LISTEN TO ARCHIVED STREAM HERE!

98.3 FM on the Portland State University campus

Pre-Game Show
                          (11 AM - Noon):

Green Milk from the Planet Orange - "
                          Away" - You Take Me to the World - Beta-Lactam Ring
                          Sun Ra - "Black Man/Love in Outer Space" - Space is the Place - Evidence
                          Skullflower - "
                          Silver Stars Rot Mindlessly..." - Tribulation - Crucial Blast
                          Black Happy Day - "Wolf & Hare" - In the Garden of Ghostflowers - Silber Records

Actual Program
                          (Noon to 1 PM):

Artist
                          - Title - Album - Label

Jandek
                          -"Part Six" - Glasgow Monday- Corwood Industries
                          The Itch Incident
                          - "Soother" - Chillicious - Waveform
                          Yo La Tengo
                          - "Sometimes I Don't Get You" - I'm Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass - Matador
                          Xyramat
                          - "Beginn" - Women Take Back the Noise - Ubuibi
                          Legendary Pink Dots
                          - "Chemical Playschool" - Ancient Daze - Beta-Lactam Ring
                          Muslimgauze - "
                          Ultra Orthodox, And No Cheating" - Jaal Ab Dullah - Soleilmoon
                          Jackie-O Motherfucker - "
                          Your Cells Are in Motion" - U-Sound Archive Vol. 7 - U-Sound
                          La STPO
                          L - "' Intitule' Creme" - Tranches de Temps Jete' - Beta-Lactam Ring
                          Ariel Kalma - "
                          Saxo Forest" - Osmose - Beta-Lactam Ring
                          Edward Ka-Spel
                          - "Six Cats on a Dead Man's Chest" - Eyes! China Doll - Beta-Lactam Ring
                          Last edited by Dead-Air; 10-21-2006, 06:33 PM.

Comment

This Saturday, October 28th, 2006 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time (that's 10-11 PM in Transylvania!) I'm thrilled to bring you a bone-chillingly Halloween edition of What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang on KPSU!

BLOOD-CURDLING STREAMING AUDIO HERE!

1450 A.M. in the Portland OR/Vancouver WA metro area
                            98.3 F.M. on Portland State University campus

No, I'm not going to play that damn Ministry song for the one hundred millionth time, and I promise that while I may feel obligated to include Bauhaus it won't be "Bela Legosi's Dead". Instead, we have an eclectic and experimental mix of songs about ghosts, death, and arcane rites by the likes of Unwound, Whitelodge, Black Happy Day, Rebecca Moore, Legendary Pink Dots, Spacemen 3, Childhood Friends, and Orbit Service.

You may wish to keep a sprig of garlic close to your radio or computer...

Comment

Here's the Playlist for the What's This Called? Halloween Special with Ricardo Wang which aired on 10/28/2006 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time.

LISTEN NOW OR DOWNLOAD THE PROGRAM AS AN MP3 HERE!

98.3 FM on the Portland State University campus

Bauhaus - "Dark Entries" - In the Flat Field - 4AD
                              Legendary Pink Dots - "Violence" - Ancient Daze - Beta-Lactam Ring
                              Childhood Friends - "The Beach" - Everything is About to Change - indie
                              Orbit Service - "Wolves" - Songs of Eta Carinae - Beta-Lactam Ring
                              Melvins - "Night Goat" - Houdini Live - Ipecac
                              Unwound - "Look a Ghost" - Leaves Turn Inside You - Kill Rock Stars
                              Albert Ayler - "Ghosts: first variation" - Spiritual Unity - ESP
                              Black Happy Day - "In the Garden of Ghostflowers" - In the Garden of Ghostflowers - Silber Records
                              Spacemen 3 - "Fixin' to Die" - For All the Fucked Up Children of the World - Sympathy for the Record Industry
                              Rebecca Moore - "Spectral Vapor in the Nueral Machine" - Home Wreckordings 1997-1999 - Knitting Factory Records
                              Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - "The Mercy Seat" - from Her to Eternity - Reprise

Comment

What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang onKPSU
                                for Saturday, November 4th from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time (that's 9-10 PM in Vienna, Austria!)

STREAMING AUDIO HERE!

While other public and community radio stations traditionally devote this time of day and time of the week to "safer" programming such as Car Talk, bluegrass, and bird watching shows, KPSU dares to let me play sounds from the other side of the spectrum...

Experimental Music, Post-Punk & Post-Rock, Eclectic & Incredibly Strange Music, Free Jazz & Chance Determination Compositions, Plunderphonics, IDM, Drone, Noise, and Beauty!

Comment

Working...
                                X