Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What's This Called? Version 2.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh my!, that "Imagine/Walk on the Wild Side" is creepy!

that's got to be a stomach turner, hearing those words come from "W."

I always appreciate some Space Odyssey. ;)

very interesting stuff!

I'd never hear it on my local stations!

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang
      for Saturday, 9/2/2006 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time
      (that's 10:30 PM in Tehran, Iran!)

STREAMING AUDIO HERE: http://www.kpsu.org

1450 AM in the Portland OR/Vancouver WA metro area
      98.3 FM in the immediate Portland State University campus

This week I'm excited to play a few tracks from a CDR compilation of noise and post-punk experiments from Connecticut of all places called War of the Species on the Brewster Noise label. Featuring artists you've probably never heard of such as Disable People on Buses, Severed by Advertisements, and Tim Sheldon, this comp. manages to carry a cohesive theme of interspecies strife between sixteen very unique lo-fi cuts. The common denominator is that this is the real DIY, and surprisingly imaginitive and interesting.

Also look for eclectic audio from the likes of Acid Mothers Temple, Zoe Keating, Caspar Brotzman Masakar, and who knows what else!
      My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

On in 4 Minutes! http://www.kpsu.org
        My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Playlist for What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang
          for Saturday 9/2/2006 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time

Sadly the usual link to the Archives to download the MP3 of the show is not here this week, as due to a system glitch, only the first few minutes were captured. Here's a link however to the general Archive, where other weeks can be downloaded completely: http://archive.kpsu.org:8080/shows/saturday/12pm

(again, it's reccomended you DON'T bother with the fragment from 9/2/2006 and go for the older shows)

98.3 FM on the Portland State University campus

Pre-Game Show:

as the station Automix was turned off for some reason, I played nearly the entire new Ryuichi Sakamoto album Bricolages featuring remixes of his work by all sorts of people on KA'+B

Actual Playlist:

Artist - Track/Song - Album - Recording Label

Disabled People on Buses - "Brains Will Eat the Biggest Teeth" - War of the Species - Severed By Records
          Mikael Karlsson & Rob Stephenson - "Custom Hybrid" - Dog - Please MusicWorks
          Zoe Keating - "Legions (aftermath)" - One Cello x 16: Natoma - indie
          Caspar Brotzmann Massaker - "The Tribe" - Home - Thirsty Ear
          Severed by Advertisements - "The Bite-inator" - War of the Species - Severed By Records
          Nurse With Wound - "The Self Sufficient Sexual Shoe" - Rock N Roll Station - Beta-Lactam Ring
          The Noisettes - "Showers & Baths" - Reek of Influence - Icky Recordings
          Wire - "Indirect Enquiries" - 154 - Pink Flag
          Tim Sheldon - "Mollusks, Waterfowl & Darning Needles Take the Invasion of Land" - War of the Species - Severed By Records
          Sonic Youth - "Or" - Rather Ripped - DGC
          Jandek - "Crime Pays" - Living in a Moon So Blue - Corwood Industries
          Ffej - "No Outlet" - Patterns in the Storm Vol. 1 - indie
          Steve Fisk - "She Walks" - 448 Deathless Days - SST
          No Neck Blues Band - "The Natural Bridge" - Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones But Names Will Never Hurt Me - Revenant
          Brian English - "Fire Your Work" - Beyond Words - Record Label Records
          Shalloboi - "Waterfalls Breaking Around Your Shoulders" - Petals - Endless December
          Nice Nice - "I'm a Human Person" - Yesss! - Audraglint Acid Mothers Temple and the Melting Paraiso U.F.O. - "The Tales of Solar Sail - Dark Stars in the Dazzling Sky" - Have You Seen the Other Side of the Sky - Ace Fu

Comment

for Saturday, 9/9/2006 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time
            (that's 8-9 PM in Liverpool, U.K.!)

STREAMING AUDIO HERE: http://www.kpsu.org

98.3 FM on the Portland State University campus

You may have heard the buzz around the net about a noise-mix/mash-up of two of the most revered psychedelic pop albums fo the '60s called The Beachles - Sgt. Petsounds Lonely Hearts Club Band. I'll be spinning a couple tracks from that to give you a taste of this strange meeting of geniuses in a blender on liquify.

I've also got preview tracks for you from the artists who will be my Live Guests on the next couple of shows after this one: two-piece art noise married couple the L.A. Lungs from Tacoma who will be performing on WTC? 9/16/2006, and cellist M.E. & Me (AKA Derek Johnson who has played and recorded with the likes of Old Time Relijun, Unwound, and Le Ton Mite) who'll be gracing the show on 9/23/2006.

In addition there'll be more from Dog, the avant garde/experimental album by Mikael Karlsson and Rob Stephenson, and local music from Submarine Fleet, and Parenthetical Girls (both of which will be performing at a KPSU sponsored show at the Someday Lounge on 6/23 with the aforementioned M.E. & Me.)

Comment

for Saturday, 9/9/2006 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time

DOWNLOAD AS MP3 HERE:

http://archive.kpsu.org:8080/shows/saturday/12pm

(Program Streamed Live from http://www.kpsu.org during Broadcast)

1450 AM Portland OR/Vancouver WA metro area
              98.3 FM Portland State University campus[/b]

Artist - Song/Track - Album - Record Label

Beachles - "For the Benefit of Sloop John B" - Sgt. Petsounds Lonely Hearts Club Band - indie
              Beachles - "What I'd Be Within Without You" - Sgt. Petsounds Lonely Hearts Club Band - indie
              Parenthetical Girls - "Love Connection Pt. II" - Safe As Houses - Slender Means
              Mikael Karlsson & Rob Stephenson - "Civilians" - Dog - Please MusicWorks
              Boards of Canada - "Left Side Drive" - Trans Canada Highway - Warp
              M.E. & Me - "Cellos w Matrix" - MP3 - indie
              Plush Agent Factor - "Microscopic Mayonnaise vs. Bioflavanoid" - War of the Species - Severed By Records
              Sun Ra - "It's After the End of the World" - Space Is The Place - Evidence
              Pere Ubu - "Dub Housing" - Dub Housing - Thirsty Ear
              Ryuichi Sakamoto - "Motopiate (Thomas Knak remix)" - Bricolages - KA'+B
              Submarine Fleet - "DISPLACEMENT demovement" - MP3 - indie

Next Week:
              I have very special Live Guests L.A. Lungs from Tacoma, WA playing in the KPSU studio!

Comment

What's This Called? with your host Ricardo Wang
                for Saturday, 9/16/2006 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time
                (that's 10-11 PM in Athens, Greece the birthplace of Western democracy)

This week featuring special live musical guests: L. A. LUNGS from beautiful Tacoma, Washington! Hand Panther recording artists the L. A. Lungs are a multi-gendered two piece who's members Leeward and Afterthought make their intimate, aleatoric, electro-love-drone in the wasps nest of the "city of destiny". Brief flashes of the familiar lead to stoned confusion lead to acoustic guitars lead to frequency phase hypnosis. They sing too, sometimes.

SMELTERING STREAMING AUDIO HERE!

1450 AM in the Portland OR/Vancouver WA metro vicinity
                98.3 FM within a 2 block radius of Portland State University

In addition to the live experience, there will be brief recorded forays including Vulgaricus who sent me a neat CD-R of noise Gnash Ups recorded at Burning Man this past year (who wouldn't want to hear Nurse With Wound and Nocturnal Emissions at the same time??), and a couple artists playing at the KPSU sponsored Someday Lounge show on 9/23 Rebecca Moore and M.E. & Me (aka Derek M Johnson, who will also be the live guest on What's This Called? that same day at noon!)

Comment

The L.A. Lungs from Tacoma, live on the air/web in 1 minute! http:www.kpsu.org

Comment

for Saturday, 9/16/2006 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time

With Special Live Guests L. A. Lungs from lovely Tacoma, WA!

DOWNLOAD PROGRAM AS MP3 HERE!

(Program streamed from http://www.kpsu.org during broadcast.)

1450 AM in Portland OR/Vancouver WA metro area
                    98.3 FM on Portland State University campus

Artist - Track/Song - Album - Recording Label

Rebecca Moore - "Fantasy" - Home Wreckordings 1997-1999 - Knitting Factory
                    Parenthetical Girls - "Here's to Forgeting" - GRRRLS - Slender Means
                    Nurse With Wound/Nocturna Emissions - "Nurse with Meat Emmissions (vulgarius remix)" - Burning Man '06 Noise Gnash Ups - indie

L. A. Lungs -LIVE on WHAT'S THIS CALLED? on KPSU
                    L.A. Lungs - Interview on WHAT'S THIS CALLED? on KPSU
                    L.A. Lungs - LIVE 0n WHAT'S THIS CALLED? on KPSU

Next Week: Live in the Studio - M.E. & Me (aka Derek Johnson) from Olympia WA.

Comment

This Week (9/23/2006) on What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang:
                      from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time (that's 3-4 PM in Nassau in the Bahamas!)

Very Special Live Musical Guest: M.E. & Me from Olympia, WA

STREAMING INTERNET AUDIO HERE!

1450 A.M. in the Portland OR/Vancouver WA Metro area
                      98.3 F.M. on the Portland State University campus

M.E. & Me AKA Derek M. Johnson is an experimental cellist from Olympia, Washington who has played and/or recorded with such notable groups as Unwound, Old Time Relijun, Le Ton Mite, Encyclopedia of Fun, Foque Mopus, and Frequency DB. He has also put in sets at the last four Olympia Experimental Music Festivals. A look at his list of influences turns up names you might immediately imagine such as Raymond Scott and John Cage, but it also surprises us with Aphex Twin and the Orb.

Later that night, also on the 23rd, Derek will be taking advantage of his visit to Portland to play an opening set at 9 PM at the newly established Someday Lounge located at 125 NW 5th Ave. He's likely to reprise the accompanying slide show he presented at the Yes! Yes! during Olympia's last Experimental Music Fest as well.

Also on this stellar Saturday night, dawning of Autumn bill are NYC violinist/vocalist/multi-instrumentalist Rebecca Moore, the masked amorphous NW experience known as The Dead Air Fresheners, the brilliant experimental pop reconstructuralists Parenthetical Girls, and Portland's own favorite sons of the dark Submarine Fleet. I'll undoubtedly preview a few tracks by some of the above on What's This Called? as well.

Comment

M.E. and Me live in the KPSU studio, streaming in 15 minutes!

http://www.kpsu.org

Comment

for Saturday, 6/23/2006 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time

Featuring Special Live Guest: cellist M.E. & Me from Olympia WA

DOWNLOAD SHOW AS MP3 HERE!

Artist - Song/Track - Album - Recording Label

Rebecca Moore - "Cartoon Lust" - Home Wreckordings 1997-1999 - Knitting Factory
                          Dead Air Fresheners - "Leviticus 13:44" - An Ulcer is a String of Pearls - Kill Pop Tarts
                          Le Ton Mite - "Chapter 38: Laverne Envisions a Private Island" - We Need to Grow to Giant Size - Zicmuse
                          M.E. & Me - LIVE on WHAT'S THIS CALLED? on KPSU
                          M.E. & Me - INTERVIEW on WHAT"S THIS CALLED? on KPSU
                          M.E. & Me - LIVE on WHAT'S THIS CALLED? on KPSU
                          Vulgaricus - "Cyflea Decoder (Muscha & Severed Heads)" - Burning Man '06 Noise Gnash Ups - indie
                          Last edited by Dead-Air; 09-24-2006, 10:57 PM.

Comment

for Saturday, Sept. 30th 2006 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time
                            (that's 9-10 PM in Amman, Jordan)

STREAMING AUDIO AVAILABLE HERE!

98.3 FM on and around Portland State University campus

Having devoted the past two weeks to incredibly good live guest musicians, I'm thrilled to saddle into the booth by myself this week and spin some actual recordings. While I have every intention of having the spontaneity of the moment and the KPSU new releases section determine the show for the most part, I can gaurantee some brand new material by Skullflower and Across Tundras, plus classic brain melts from Bongwater, Einsturzende Neubauten, and Unwound.

Comment

Streaming in 10 minutes!

Comment

Playlist
                                for What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang on KPSU
                                for Saturday, 9/30/2006 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time

DOWNLOAD PROGRAM AS AN MP3 HERE!

98.3 FM on and around Portland State University campus

Artist - Title - Album - Label
                                Skullflower - "Black Wind" - Tribulation - Crucial Blast
                                Rebecca Moore - "Live in Blue Sparks" - Home Wreckordings 1997-1999 - Knitting Factory Records
                                Unwound - "October All Over" - Leaves Turn Inside You - Kill Rock Stars Red Krayola - "Breakout" - Introduction - Drag City
                                Bonnie "Prince" Billy - "Strange Form of Life" - The Letting Go - Drag City Across Tundras - "Dark Flower on the Prairie" - Dark Songs of the Prairie - Crucial Blast
                                Elf Power - "Feel a Whole Lot Better" - All the World is Waiting - Rykodisc Yo La Tengo - "Point and Shoot" - I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass - Matador
                                Bongwater - "Dazed and Chinese" - Double Bummer - Shimmy Disc
                                Albert Ayler - "Holy Family" - Spirits Rejoice - ESP
                                Pharoah Sanders - "Colors" - Karma - Impulse
                                Einsturzende Neubauten - "Intermezzo/Yu-Gung (live)" - Strategies Against Architecture II - Mute

Comment

Working...
                                X