Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What's This Called? Version 2.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's This Called? with your host Ricardo Wang
    for Saturday, 8/12/2006 Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time
    (that's Midnight to 1 AM 12/13 in Islamabad, Pakistan!)

GLOBAL AUDIO STREAM HERE:
    http://www.kpsu.org

1450 AM Portland OR/Vancouver WA metro area
    98.3 FM Portland State University campus

Having hosted the excellent psych tinged electronic sounds of George and Caplin last week, and with the amazing experimental cellist Zoe Keating (from Rasputina) coming in for a live set next week, that leaves this for me to bust out the recorded noises.

Look for an eclectic mix of post-punk, noise, experimental, drone, ambient, and all points in between. Tracks likely from Caspar Brotzmann Massaker, Muslim Gauze, Fred Frith, Husker Du, Mission of Burma, Rocket from the Tombs, Einsturzende Neubauten, Brian English, Add N to X, and more!
    My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by Dead-Air
      Streaming in just 30 minutes for those keeping score! http://www.kpsu.org

Gonna be a rocking show this week!

I am tuned in, right now.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Cool lemec, glad you caught it!

Playlist for What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang
        for Saturday, 8/12/2006 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time

DOWNLOAD PROGRAM AS MP3 HERE:

http://archive.kpsu.org:8080/shows/saturday/12pm

(Program Streamed Live from http://www.kpsu.org during broadcast)

1450 AM Portland OR/Vancouver WA metro area
        98.3 FM Portland State University campus

While still plenty experimental, this was a decidedly more "rock" show than I've done in quite some time. Sometimes the world just brings that on.

Artist - Title - Album - Label

Rocket from the Tombs - "Final Solution RFTT" - Rocket Redux - Smog Veil
        Mission of Burma - "The Mute Speaks Out" - Obliterati - Matador
        Husker Du - "Turn On the News" - Zen Arcade - SST
        Einsturzende Neubauten - "Armenia (live)" - Strategies Against Archetecture II - Mute
        Caspar Brotzman Massaker - "Tempelhof" - Home - Thirsty Ear
        Sonic Youth - "Renegade Princess" - NYC Ghosts & Flowers - Geffen
        George & Caplin - "Her Kleenex Laugh" - Things Past - Beta-Lactam Ring
        Fred Frith/ Rova Saxophone Quartet - "Batteries Not Included/Nostalgia - Freedom in Fragments - Tzadik
        Muslim Gauze - "Excerpt from the West Bank" - Classic Selection - BSI Records
        Six Organs of Admittance - "The Desert is a Circle" - The Sun Awakens - Drag City
        Wire - "Reuters" - Pink Flag - Pink Flag
        Kraftwerk - "Elektro Kardiogramm" - Tour De France Soundtracks - Astralwerks
        dDamage - "Tsunamiii" - Radioape - Planet-Mu Records
        Add N to X - "King Wasp" - On the Wires of Our Nerves - Mute

Next week: special guest Zoe Keating hypnotizes us with her incredible solo multi-track cello mix. Not to be missed!
        My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Thanks! That's a wonderful thing to have a radio show online.

very cool!

-Lemec

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
          - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Yes, it's a great benefit for someone like me who wants to reach out to people who are interested in the music I love anywhere in the world. There are only so many people into experimental and eclectic stuff in any given population, but when you can reach those people across populations globally, the community grows exponentially. I call the show "What's This Called?" because that's what I hope people will think when they listen to the music I play.

Comment

ahhh! great idea!

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by lemec
                Thanks! That's a wonderful thing to have a radio show online.

very cool!
                yep, it really is.

When someone tells me "Hey, I got into ______________ (insert band/artist name here) 'cause I heard you play 'em on the radio," it's just about the best feeling in the world!

(I'm here and here, 'real' and online respectively)

Comment

This week, Saturday 8/19/2006, on What's This Called? with your host Ricardo Wang, I have a very special Live Guest in the studio:

Zoe Keating plays cello with a live multi-track mixer that makes her solo set sound like a string quartet or more. Her highly experimental arrangements range from entrancing dissonance to fully engaging mixes of melody and rhythm. I had the pleasure of seeing her open for both Savage Republic and The Legendary Pink Dots on separate occasions, and she actually sat in briefly with Savage Republic. Consequently you can tell this isn't your grandmother's cello music, although her latest album has peaked at #1 in sales in the "Classical" section of the iTunes music store! She also plays in the avant-gothic group Rasputina.

http://www.zoekeating.com
                  http://www.myspace.com/zoecello

As always, WTC airs on KPSU from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time (3-4 PM on the East Coast, 8-9 PM in London, ect.)

STREAMING AUDIO HERE:
                  http:/www.kpsu.org

1450 AM in the Portland OR/Vancouver WA metro area
                  98.3 FM on the Portland State University campus

This is one show not to be missed!

Comment

27 minutes until we go live with Zoe Keating! http://www.kpsu.org

Comment

This week, I actually have two playlists to share for What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang on KPSU.

My usual Saturday show featured live musical guest Zoe Keating and a few songs by other people. I also subbed for two hours Friday night and played an eclectic mix of the experimental and post-punk rock. The second of those hours was in the spot formerly belonging to the KPSU metal show Medium Rare, so I made some effort to get some crunchy guitar death in there.

Both shows aired of course on 1450 AM in the Portland OR/Vancouver WA metro area and 98.3 FM in the immediate Portland State University campus vicinity, as well as streaming via http://www.kpsu.org

Saturday 8/19/2006's show with Zoe Keating may be downloaded as an MP3 here:

http://archive.kpsu.org:8080/shows/saturday/12pm

The Friday 8/18/2006 stint can be downloaded as MP3s in two sections:

http://archive.kpsu.org:8080/node/4979
                      http://archive.kpsu.org:8080/node/4980

(please ignore if these are labeled as something other than What's This Called? as I was substituting.)

Playlist for Saturday 8/19/2006 Noon - 1 PM Pacific Time:

Artist - Song/Track - Album - Recording Label

Legendary Pink Dots - "Your Number is Up" - Your Children Placate You from Premature Graves - ROIR
                      Savage Republic - "Film Noir" - Tragic Figures - Independent Projects
                      Fred Frith/Rova Saxophone Quartet - "Batteries Not Included/Nostalgia" - Freedom in Fragments - Tzadik

Zoe Keating Live on What's This Called?

Coil - "Ubu Noir" - Scatology - Some Bizarre
                      Zoe Keating - "We Insist" - One Cello x 16: Natoma - indie
                      Nick Cave - "Helpless" - The Good Son - Mute

Zoe Keating Live on What's This Called?

Unwound - "Summer Freeze" - Leaves Turn Inside You - Kill Rock Stars

Playlist for Friday 8/18/2006 8-10 PM Pacific Time:

Rocket from the Tombs - "30 Seconds Over Tokyo" - Rocket Redux - Smog Veil
                      The Clash - "I'm So Bored with the U.S.A." - s/t - Epic
                      Mission of Burma - "Birthday" - The Obliterati - Matador
                      Dead Moon - "My Escape" - Strange Pray Tell - Music Maniac
                      Kraftwerk - "Kometenmelodie 1" - Autobahn - Electrola
                      Unwound - "One Lick Less" - Leaves Turn Inside You - Kill Rock Stars
                      Nurse with Wound - "Rock n Roll Station" - Rock n Roll Station - Beta-Lactam Ring
                      Legendary Pink Dots - "Please Don't Get Me Wrong" - Your Children Placate You from Premature Graves - ROIR
                      Ryuichi Sakamoto - "20 mSEC (Fennesz remix)" - Bricolages - KA'+B
                      Acid Mothers Temple & the Melting Paraiso U.F.O. - "Buy the Moon of Jupiter" - Have You Seen the Other Side of the Sky - Acefu
                      George & Caplin - "Earl Gray Day" - Things Past - Beta-Lactam Ring
                      Brian English - "Repesent Your Local Library" - Beyond Words - Record Label Records
                      Boards of Canada - "Chinook" - 12" - Warp
                      Orbit Service - "Sparrows" - Songs of Eta Carinae - Beta-Lactam Ring
                      Husker Du - "What's Going On?" -Zen Arcade - SST
                      Tall Dwarfs - "Neusyland" - Up the Down Staircase - Flying Nun
                      Sonic Youth - "Street Sauce" - Murray Street (Japanese Import) - DGC
                      Gricer - "Beware of Death" - s/t - Taut Recordings
                      Caspar Brotzman Massaker - "Hunter Song" - Home 0 Thirsty Ear
                      Wire - "I Should Have Known Better" - On Returning - Restless

Comment

As incredible as it seems, Saturday, August 26th is the one year anniversary (minus one day) for What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang in the show's second life at KPSU. The program of course began in 1993 at KAOS in Olympia, but is now nearing it's 364th day at Portland's college radio station pushing the boundaries of eclecticism and experimental music. I'd like to profusely thank KPSU and it's management for letting me program a show this far out in the weekend daytime slot - something highly unusual even for a "cutting edge" station.

The show, as always will Stream Live from www.kpsu.org from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time, and those in the Portland OR/Vancouver WA metropolitan area can listen on the old fashioned radio at 1450 A.M. (or for the lucky few on Portland State University's campust 98.3 FM)

The anniversary program will feature proven What's This Called? favorites such as Sun Ra, John Cage, the Legendary Pink Dots, and Sonic Youth alongside some newer releases from the likes of Roots Tonic, Zoe Keating, and Ryiuchi Sakamoto, as well as some samplings from the many live guests I've had the pleasure of hosting on the show since last August as well.

Tune in, and I promise, I'll save you some cake!

Comment

Congratulations, Dead-Air!

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Thanks lemec!

1 Year Anniversary Show starts in 8 minutes! http://www.kpsu.org

Comment

Playlist for What's This Called? - KPSU 1 Year Anniversary with Ricardo Wang, Saturday, 8/26/2006 from Noon to 2 PM Pacific Time

Download in 2 Parts as MP3s Here:

http://archive.kpsu.org:8080/node/5123

http://archive.kpsu.org:8080/node/5124
                              (part 2 may read "Gyrate Sucka" instead of What's This Called? as I was subbing, but it's the right show!)

1450 AM in Portland OR/Vancouver WA metro area
                              98.3 FM on Portland State University campus
                              (program streamed live from http://www.kpsu.org during broadcast)

City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra - "2001: A Space Odyssey - Intro" - Brain in a Box - Rhino
                              RX/GW Bush - "Imagine/Walk on the Wild Side" - The Party - indie
                              Nurse with Wound - "A Siilhouette and a Thumbtack (Dance in Hyperspace)" - Rock n Roll Station - Beta-Lactam Ring
                              Steve Fisk - "Priorities" - 448 Deathless Days - SST
                              William Shatner- "That's Me Trying" - Has Been - WEA
                              Zoe Keating - "Legions (War)" - One Cello x 16: Natoma - indie
                              Zoe Keating "Fern" - One Cello x 16: Natoma - indie
                              Sonic Youth (John Cage) - "Six (3rd Take)" - SYR4: Goodbye 20th Century - SYR
                              Sun Ra - "Voice of Space" - Cosmic Tones for Mental Therapy - Evidence
                              Wire - "40 Versions" - 154 - Pink Flag
                              Roots Tonic - "Instrument of the Trinity" - Roots Tonic Meets Bill Laswell - ROIR
                              Brian English - "How 2 Meet Girls in Berlin" - Beyond Words - Record Label Records
                              Ryuichi Sakamoto - "Seven Samurai (Richard Devine remix)" - Bricolages - KA'+B
                              Acid Mothers Temple & the Melting Paraiso U.F.O. - "Asimo Naked Breakfast: Rise and Shrine" - Have You Seen the Other Side of the Sky? - Ace Fu
                              Legendary Pink Dots - "A Silver Thread" - Your Children Placate You from Premature Graves - ROIR
                              Brunnen The Trial - "Beekeeper's Dream" - Beta-Lactam Ring
                              A: Frequency - "Just Park the Car" - Live on What's This Called? 11/19/2005 - KPSU

Comment

Thanks for the downloads.

I am going to load 'em and check them out later.

I was away when it was live,hehe.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
                                X