Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What's This Called? Version 2.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kickin' It LIVE Yo'!
    My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

• Playlist for What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang for Saturday, September 8th, 2007 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time on KPSU.

DOWNLOAD MP3 OF PROGRAM OR PLAY STREAM HERE!

1450 AM in the Portland OR/Vancouver WA metro area
      98.1 FM on the Portland State University campus

Artist - Song/Track - Album - Recording Label

Ornette Coleman - "Theme from a Symphony (Variation 2)" - Ken Burns Jazz - Legacy

Yellow Swans - "Drift 1" - Drift - Acuarela
      Charles Mingus - "The Shoes of the Fisherman's Wife are some Jive Ass Slippers" - Ken Burns Jazz - Legacy
      Soup Purse - "Self Replicating Nanostars" - Nanonpocolyptic Profizzy - Obscurica
      Cabinet of Natural Curiosities- "Little Ice Age" - Cabinet of Natural Curiosities - indie
      Sonny Rollins - "I'm an Old Cow Hand" - Ken Burns Jazz - Legacy
      Ramsey Lewis - "Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except for Me and My Monkey" - Mother Nature's Son - Verve
      Whitelodge - "Down the Ladder of Lights Towards the Gate of Erim" - Whitelodge + - Beta-Lactam Ring Records
      My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

• Playlist for What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang for Saturday, September 15, 2007 from Noon to 1 PM on KPSU

DOWNLOAD AS MP3 OR PLAY STREAM HERE!

Ornette Coleman - "Space Flight" - Forms & Sounds - RCA
        Ornette Coleman - "Focus on Sanity" - The Shape of Jazz to Come - Atlantic
        Hans Grusel's Krankenkabinet - "Tea for Two" - Happy as Pitch - C.I.P.
        Edward Ka-Spel - "The Writing on the Wall" - Pieces of 8 - Beta-Lactam Ring
        Eet - "Perfect Spheres" - A Fruit is Born - codfisch
        King Tubby, the Aggrovators, and Bunny Lee - "Bionic Dub" - Studio One Dub - Soul Jazz
        Miles Davis - "Black Satin" -On the Corner - Columbia
        Enoch Light - "Get Back" - Spaced Out - SPJ
        Sun Ra and the Arkestra - "El is a Sound of Joy" - Sound of Joy - Delmark
        Valet - "Blood is Clean" - Blood is Clean - Kranky
        Bonnie "Prince" Billy - "Cursed Sleep" - The Letting Go - Drag City

Comment

• Playlist for What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang on KPSU for Saturday September 22nd, 2007 from Noon to 2 PM (including surprise second hour!) Pacific Time.

DOWNLOAD PROGRAM OR PLAY STREAM HERE!

BONUS SUPRISE SECOND HOUR HERE!

Artist - Song/Track - Album/Recording - Recording Label

Uterus Magnet - "Nevermind That" - Your Ears Are About to Fall Off - Severed By Records
          Cabinet of Natural Curiosities - "Either Way I Lose" - Cabinet of Natural Curiosities - indie
          L.A. Lungs - "My Legos, My Legacy" - I've Called You Sexy Woman on a Tuesday Nigt Before - Hand Panther
          Waldteufel - "Kupferwut" - Sanguis - Beta-Lactam Ring
          Baseball Camp Nurse - "I Built a Coffin" - Baseball Camp Nurse - Icky Recordings
          Gowns - "Gloves" - Gowns - Folktale Records
          Dub Trio - "Casting Out the Nines" - Cool Out and Coexist - ROIR
          Yellow Swans - "Descent 1" - Descension - Acuarela
          Marissa Magic - "Track 12" - Marissa Magic - indie
          Valet - "Burmajuana" - Blood is Clean - Kranky
          M.E. & Me - "Cellos with Matrix" - MP3 - indie
          (surprise second hour starts here)
          Plants - "The Western Lands" - Plants - Audio Dregs
          Frank Comstock - "Stella by Starlight" - Music from Outer Space - Warner Brothers
          F. J. Pangolin - "Damage to the Field" - Damage to the Field - indie
          Iannis Xennakis - "Concrete PH (1958) " - An Anthology of Noise & Electronic Music - Sub Rosa
          Cyclopsycho - "Blue Petals" - Cyclopsycho - indie
          Einstuerzende Neubaten - "Neun Arme" - Drawings of Patient OT - Mute
          METAL - "Underwater is a Place to be Alone" - World Ocean - Aritstery
          Throbbing Gristle - "Beachy Head" - 20 Jazz Funk Greats - Mute
          Husker Du - "Hare Krishna" - Zen Arcade - SST
          Legendary Pink Dots & Nurse with Wound - "The Window on the World" - The Swinging Reflective - Unit
          Ramsey Lewis - "Dear Prudence" - Mother Nature's Son - Verve
          Bill Horist - "Gesture" - From the Nerve Wheel - Unit Circle
          Sun Ra - "And Otherness" - Cosmic Tones for Mental Therapy - Evidence

Comment

• whoa thats some good stuff there.where in the world do you get a radio station that plays this kind o stuff.All we get on the radio in scotland is craap chart stuff,cheesy traditional stuff or inane chat shows .Are a lot of these bands local or more widely known.Pardon my ignorance and please keep posting these kickin sounds all the best
            "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Thanks for the nice comments Thingfish. Keep in mind that our station, and quite a few other great ones, are fully listenable online. You can hear my show live streaming or download past shows as MP3s and I include the links in every post. Given your moniker is probably from a Zappa song, I'm sure you'd enjoy listening to them!

To answer your question, I do play a lot of local artists, but the majority are probably from elsewhere around the world. There's so much going on globally that I'm truly blown away by how much there is to discover out there!
              Last edited by Dead-Air; 09-28-2007, 10:19 PM.

Comment

• This week on What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang on KPSU,
                Saturday September 29th, 2007 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time,
                mysterious echoer of horns El Solo Caras Azules performs live!

STREAMING AUDIO INTERNET WIND RIGHT HERE!

El Solo Caras Azules is a multi-instrumentalist who in this incarnation settles on the reverberated drenched tones of wind instruments including euphonium, saxophone, oboe, and clarinet. Taking his inspiration from the places he has lived in the American West from the snowy roads of Idaho to the sun blistered deserts of Nevada, El Solo Caras Azules currently makes his living painting Nutcrackers for the Christmas season in Seattle, when he's not on the road with his horns. He has played in NW ensembles including Blue Faces, That Stupid Club, and Dead Air Fresheners, however, El Solo Caras Azules views his extended horn drones as a deeply personal and individual statement. His influences include such diverse musicians as Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Sonny Rollins, John Coltrane, Dick Perry, and Andy Hamilton, but his sound is truly all his own, as well as deeply connected to the Universe.

Comment

• Playlist for What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang on KPSU for Saturday, September 29th, 2007 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time.

With special guest live performance by El Solo Caras Azules from Seattle, WA.

DOWNLOAD PROGRAM OR PLAY STREAM HERE!

Artist - Song/Track/Performance - Album/Experience - Label/Station

Derek M Johnson - "Cello/Piano Duet" - Cello Sampler - indie
                  Christmas Decorations - "Upstage the Drips" - Communal Rust - Community Library
                  Pere Ubu - "Crush this Horn" - The Art of Walking - Cooking Vinyl

El Solo Caras Azuela - "Snowy Roads of Idaho" - Live on What's This Called? - KPSU

Uterus Magnet - "Staring Contest" - Your Ears Are About to Fall Off - Severed By
                  Clara Rockmore - "Saint-Saens: The Swan" - The Art of the Theremin - Delos International
                  Tyranosaurus Rex - "Dwarfish Trumpet Blues" - My People Were Fair and Had Sky in Their Hair...But Now They're Content to Wear Stars - A& M

El Solo Caras Azuela - "Shark Noodling" - Live on What's This Called? - KPSU

Ornette Coleman - "Eventually" - The Shape of Jazz to Come - Atlantic
                  Hans Grusel's Krankenkabinet - "Moog System 15 Variation One" - Happy As Pitch - C.I.P.

Comment

• Playlist for What's This Called? with host Ricardo Wang on KPSU for Saturday, October 6th, 2007 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time.

DOWNLOAD PROGRAM AS MP3 OR PLAY AUDIO STREAM HERE!

1450 AM
                    in the Portland OR/Vancouver WA metro area
                    98.1 FM
                    on the Portland State University campus

Huun-Huur-Tu - "Ancestors" - The Orphan's Lament - Shanachie
                    Unwound - "October All Over" - Leaves Turn Inside You - Kill Rock Stars
                    Eet - "Burning Bush" - A Fruit is Born - Codfisch
                    Otto Luening - "Fantasy in Space" - CRI The Composer-Performer Forty Years of Discovery - CRI
                    Jandek - "Just Die" - I Woke Up - Corwood Industries
                    Cabinet of Natural Curiosities - "The Glass Essay" - Vineland - indie
                    Sonic Youth - "Hungara Vivo" - SYR 3 - SYR
                    Edward Ka-Spel - "Six Cats on a Dead Man's Chest" - Eyes! China Doll - Beta-Lactam Ring
                    Biosphere - "Shenzhou" - Shenzhou - Touch
                    Childhood Friends - "Prey" - Scars - indie

Next Week: Chris from Beta-Lactam Ring Records live in the studio, playing and giving away scads of new releases from Portland's utlra-psychedelic global record label!

Comment

• I'm posting a little early about What's This Called? this week, because I have a really excellent show lined up for this Saturday, October 13th 2007 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time on KPSU.

This will actually be Chris McBeth of Beta-Lactam Ring Records' third appearance on What's This Called? since the program relocated to Portland and KPSU two years ago. A cursory glimpse of the playlists in this incarnation of the show will quickly indicate how highly I think of Chris' record label and his taste in music and audio art.

BLR is the home of releases by such critically acclaimed international artists as Legendary Pink Dots, Green Milk from the Planet Orange, Nurse With Wound, Coil, Volcano the Bear, Waldteufel, Andrew Liles, Orbit Service, and Portland's own Daniel Menche and Soriah. The label's diverse line-up covers all extremes of the psychedelic and experimental without ever once falling into the pit of predictability. Chris has incredibly high standards about what he puts out in terms of content, packaging, and even the vinyl his old school records are pressed on (he does cds too, but rarely if ever with standard jewel-boxes, his releases are much more serious artifacts).

As always the show will STREAM LIVE FROM THE KPSU WEBSITE all over the world as well as have the traditional radio outlets of:

98.3 FM on the Portland State University campus

Chris will be premiering scads of new releases and in fact GIVING SEVERAL AWAY, so memorize the studio phone #: (503) 725-5945!

Comment

• Playlist for What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang for Saturday 10/13/2007 from Noon to 1 PM (with and 11 AM to Noon Pre-Game Show) Pacific Time on KPSU.

I apologize for this playlist going out so late, but I had hoped to include a link to be able to download the Pre-Game Show, which unfortunately doesn't appear to be happening. It would be a disservice to my excellent guest on the actual program Chris McBeth of Beta-lactam Ring Records for me to hold off any longer!

DOWNLOAD THE SHOW AS MP3 OR PLAY STREAM HERE!!

Artist - Song/Track - Album - Recording Label (italics indicate during the Pre-Game Show rather than regular program)

Sonic Youth - "Invito Al Cielo" - SYR 3 - SYR
                        Strings of Consciousness - "Asphodel (featuring Jim Thirwell)" - Our Moon is Full - Central Control
                        Eric Ostrowski - "Flourishing Spikily Beneath" - Magnificent Forest - indie
                        Eric Dahlman - "Pahasteteeko" - Riped Echo - indie
                        Hawkwind - "Master of the Universe" - In Search of Space - One Way Records
                        Hans Grusel's Krankenkabinet - "Moog System 15 Variation Two" - Happy as Pitch - C.I.P.
                        Alice Shields - "Apocolypse, An Electronic Opera" - CRI The Composer-Performer Forty Years of Discovery - CRI

Edward Ka-Spel - "Hotel Blanc" - Eyes! China Doll - Beta-lactam Ring Records
                        Anakrid - "TBA" - Banished Rituals of the Disenlightened - Beta-lactam Ring Records
                        George & Caplin - "Highway Driveway" - He Really Got Through to Advertising... - Beta-lactam Ring Records
                        Un Festin Sagital - "Epitafioala Permanencia" - Epitafioala Permaanencia - Beta-Lactam Ring
                        Andrew Liles - "Blue Mango" - Black Pool - Beta-lactam Ring Records
                        Volcano the Bear - "Splendid Goose" - Amidst the Noise and Twigs - Beta-lactam Ring Records
                        Seven That Spells - "Man from Dystopia" - Man from Dystpoia - Beta-lactam Ring Records
                        Edward Ka-Spel - "Harvester" - Dream Logik 1 - Beta-lactam Ring Records

Now, it's time for this weeks show, Streaming Live a scant 17 hours from when I write this!

Comment

• Playlist for What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang for Saturday 10/20/2007 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time.

DOWNLOAD PROGRAM AS MP3 OR PLAY STREAM HERE!

98.3 FM on the Portland State University campus

Since I have a guest on next week, this wound up being my
                          Halloween Special more or less.

Jandek - "Didn't Really Die" - White Box Requiem - Corwood Industries
                          Chris & Cosey - "Raining Tears of Blood" - The Elephant Table - XTract
                          Andrew Liles - "Spectral (Version 3)" - Black Pool - Beta-lactam Ring Records
                          Jarboe - "And I Name Myself Hag" - The Unaccompanied Voice - Secretly Canadian
                          Cyclopsycho - "Cyclopsycho" - Cyclopsycho - indie
                          Sonic Youth - "Ghost Bitch (live)" - Walls Have Ears - Not
                          Edward Ka-Spel - "The 9oClock Train to Oblivion" - Dream Logick Part One - Beta-lactam Ring Records
                          David Bowie - "Please Mr. Gravedigger" - David Bowie - PSM Records
                          Coil - "S is for Sleep" - The Elephant Table - XTract
                          Eric Ostrowski - "Phantom Geography" - Magnificent Forest - indie
                          Strings of Consciousness - "Midnight Moonbeams" - Our Moon is Full - Central Control
                          Unwound - "Corpse Pose" - Repetition - Kill Rock Stars

Next Week: Eric Ostrowski Live in the studio!

Comment

• This Saturday, October 27th from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time on What's This Called? I have a very special guest, avant/post-punk violinist Eric Ostrowski.

Eric's last performance on my show on KPSU featured his young son Ian accompanying him on tin can percussion, but this is an entirely solo endeavor. Mr. Ostrowski has a brand new cd/dvd called Magnificent Forest which combines his violin explorations with his other talent as an experimental filmmaker! While it is unlikely he will be reproducing any tracks from the cd note for note, it is certain this performance will carry the tone and atmosphere of the album into the live radio arena.

Eric was of course one half of the legendary free-noise guitar/violin duo Noggin, though he was actually the guitar side of that equation for most of their powerful existence. Later Noggin performances often found him switching instruments to join cohort Michael Griffin in a locomotive violin duo, and he continues to take inspiration from his musical partner of so many years. In fact, all of the titles of the songs on Magnificent Forest are either from Griffin or from the hardcore group Behead the Prophet No Lord Shall Live, which Griffin also played violin with for several years.

As always, the program STREAMS LIVE RIGHT HERE! and can also be heard in the Portland vicinity via the following traditional radio motives:

Also on tap: new recordings from Golden Death Music, Bela Karoli, and more!

Comment

• Playlist for What's This Called? with your host Ricardo Wang for Saturday, October 27th, 2007 from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time.

With special live guest Eric Ostrowski playing violin so noisy that a listener came to the station to complain in person!

DOWNLOAD OR PLAY LIVE STREAM IF YOU DARE!

Artist - Song/Track/Experience - Album/Moment - Recording Label

Walter De La Mare - "Song of Shadows" - The Spoken Word - British Library
                              Golden Death Music - "Lost in Violence" - Ephemera Blues - Helmet Room
                              Chuck Swaim with the Dead Air Fresheners - "Face of Evil" - Live at Bob's Java Jive - indie

Eric Ostrowski Live on What's This Called?

Big Tom the Lithuanian - "Panic Disorder and Agorophobia" - Infamous Polywogs Vol. 1? - Inlet Recordings

Eric Ostrowski Interview

Bela Karoli - "Psychosomatic" - Furnished Rooms - Helmet Room

Eric Ostrowski Live on What's This Called? (closing piece)

Comment

• After a week off to visit family in New Mexico, What's This Called? with your host Ricardo Wang returns on KPSU! Saturday, November 10th from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time (which is Sunday 1-2 AM in Islamabad, Pakistan for those keeping score).

As always: STREAMING LIVE RIGHT HERE!

or for those close enough for old fashioned radio:

1450 AM
                                in the Portland OR/Vancouver WA metro area

On Tap This Week: Volume Ghost, Golden Death Music, William Hooker, Andrew Liles, Earthmonkey, John Cage, Frank Comstock, Perez Prado, and MORE!

Comment

Working...
                                X