Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Strawberry Fields Forever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberry Fields Forever

Today
    I think of John Lennon who was killed 25 years ago.

GIVE PEACE A CHANCE!
    Google ergo sum

Sad day indeed. And to commemorate it, I shall share a touching story. My father, was, well, still is a major fan of John Lennon - even started a band playing base in high school during the 60s. Well, my father not only liked the music, he found a comrade in John - having both raised by Aunts and passed around familt members here and there. Now this sort of life raised a fairly catatonic man (though a smile and laugh were never seldom). My father however was a very hard man to shed tears. The day John Lennon died, my mother said was the first time she ever saw him cry in public, which i've yet to see for myself. He's a very private man, but to see him let it all go, (for a man he never met, but idolized) is a true testimate to the power of song.

Fare thee well, Mr. Lennon.

Comment

The generation prior to mine used to talk about how they would never forget where they were when they heard the news president Kennedy was shot.

Me, I will never forget where I was when I saw that same news about John Lennon. I was at Sea-Tac airport waiting to board a plane to go visit my family for Christmas. I was a few days away from turning 14. The news was emblazoned across the front of TIME magazine over a painting of Lennon (I didn't watch the news at that age, so I was two weeks late in learning of the tragedy). When the Music Died, the cover read. I distinctly recall feeling sick to my stomach and of course very, very sad.
      "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
      --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

When the war broke out, there were alot of artist cashing in the fight by writting and singing "peace" songs, which brought me back to John Lennon - who in my opinion was a real man of peace. He sang about peace and love even without a war to egg him on, he did it voluntarily through out his career (it was a recurrent theme). And its for that reason he still stands over all the artists these days as a true musician of peace, in my humble opinion.

Comment

Has everyone heard the interview that was broadcast on Radio 4 last Saturday? http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/lennon_wenner.shtml Most illuminating.

I appreciate the man's work, but some of the Lennon-worship has gone a bit OTT in my opinion. Some bright spark described described him as "a secular saint" on the radio this morning, which is not only a contradiction in terms but also something of an insult to a man who openly rejected everything to do with religions and hero-worship.

I'm also quite upset that Channel 4 is broadcasting an interview with Mark Chapman tonight. What can you learn from a sick creep like that apart from the fact that he's a sick creep? He's already had his 15 minutes of fame, but here he is being pimped by the media as some kind of anti-hero. Very poor taste indeed. :(
          \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

I wrote a little about Chapman in an essay about Catcher in the Rye at university (I believe he was carrying a copy of the novel around with him on the day), and linked the murder in with Holden's obsession with freezing time, my argument being that Chapman was trying to freeze Lennon in the moment before he "sold out" or betrayed his youthful fans... so I should really watch the programme to see if that was anywhere near the mark, but I agree that it isn't a very tempting prospect... and rather a crappy way to mark the anniversary really. Celebrate the life, don't rake over the details of the death!

But yes, I'll be singing along to a few of his songs tonight.

"The way things are going, they're gonna crucify me..." :(
            "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Mikey-C:
              I appreciate the man's work, but some of the Lennon-worship has gone a bit OTT in my opinion.
              Oh yes, one week we have George Best (drunken Irish genius footballer), the next John Lennon (best thing in the Beatles because George didn't write more, best thing after the Beatles because he didn't release anything between 1975 and 1980). Good writer, not a very nice person by many accounts, philosophically suspect .... Dead tragically, easy for people to remember, therefore living on as a demigod.

Think about 2 songs: "Hey, Jude" and "Beautiful Boy". Paul's had a [/b]bum deal. :twisted:
              \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

Working...
              X