Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

A Pain Song/s per album compulserary?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Pain Song/s per album compulserary?!

Has anyone noticed the recent habit of putting a *pain* song or more on every album.

I mean like Nickelback, Silver Side Up. All rockin along, exept for the dirge at 2. Its all going swimmingly, then the horror that is Never Again. Slows the velocity right down. Depressing. The only good thing about it is the intro riff, which is to lure you to keep listening. I mean, WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY DID YOU DO IT NICKELBACK?!

I hasten to add that I am now into Seether and heavier stuff.

Is it like, PR or something, to add a boring song of pain. Its not compulsiary to suffer you know.

I mean , if you are troubled, get a therapist. You dont have to bore the world with your pain.

I realise that songs are sometimes unhappy. But the subjects done with panache and speed and talent, and they are ultimately posative.

Boring morons like Cristina Aguilera. I mean, how ****** up do you have to be to got in the limelight. If shes so screwed up, get a therapist, THEN launch the career. Pinks another one.

I hate this worship of someones hyped up pain or just pain and misery. Its sick and pathetic.

It comes to a head, when in a kids poetry contest on Blue Peter, the winner is a boring gory poem about dying soldiers in ww1, obviously written to suck up to the pain obsessed BBC. You could tell the rest knew she had done it to get the prize, instead of the poetry.

What is it?! They think *im too shallow to do real tunes,so ill do some boring pain song to appeal to the sick pr, AND I get to look like im serious and intelligent to the stupidest in society*

Its totally loathsome. They seriously need to stop this.

Everybody hurts.
    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Sometimes :P
      'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

I don't mind a ballad here and there, but when a band start whining too much, I can't help thinking of the Jello Biafra/Mojo Nixon song:

Boohoo-hoo-hoo-hooo
        Boohoo-hoo-hoo-hooo
        Boohoo-hoo-hoo-hooo
        Boohoo-hoo-hoo-hooo
        (repeat till Burger King espresso arrives)

Down by the stream where my baby left me
        I stand in my flannel shirt looking confused
        A voice in the bushes say, "You got that look,
        I'm from Geffen records How'd you like a million bucks."

O woh ho Poor pitiful me
        Born white in the worlds richest country
        I can't have my way life is so depressing
        Nothing's as important as me and my girl

(Buy My Snake Oil, Prairie Home Invasion)
        I know it's not quite the same issue, but I have a Reel Big Fish album where they spend three or four songs whining about how no one likes them as a band. If I bought the album, it means I like them, so why should I (the paying fan) be the one to have to suffer their complaints?
        "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

At least Ian Curtis and Kurt Cobain had the committment to take it all the way....
          Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
          Bakunin

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Uncle Frank had the lowdown on this subject (Suicide Chump, You are What You Is)
            \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

Originally posted by Groakes
              At least Ian Curtis and Kurt Cobain had the committment to take it all the way....
              ...much unlike fellow whiners Martin Gore and Robert Smith. :P

Comment

Re: A Pain Song/s per album compulserary?!

Originally posted by yolanda
                Has anyone noticed the recent habit of putting a *pain* song or more on every album.*
                What, every album? 8O

Are you sure?

Gee, I guess I oughta listen more closely to my Andy Williams CDs. :)

Its totally loathsome. They seriously need to stop this.
                Well, you could always stop listening to them, couldn't you? Maybe use the 'Next Track' button or something? :?

*That, by the way, is how you use 'font color' and 'font size' correctly, Y.
                _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

REM -- Everybody Hurts

Comment

I thought for a second that this thread was about Gregorian chants. :)

My favourite record is "Last Rights" by Skinny Puppy. It's pretty much the aural equivalent of an exposed nerve. Lovely!

Comment

"Albatross" PiL.

Ouch
                      \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

"Beloved Wife" by Natalie Merchant

So very heart-wrenching!

Comment

And so begins the pain song game.

"Goodbye My Lover" by James Blunt.

I've never understood the whole pain song thing. My ex-girlfriend bought a Staind album and tried to get me to listen. A few weeks later she had given up listening, saying that it was "too depressing." :?

I think I posted before the roll-back that I like happy songs and don't listen to much 'pain' music. That was a bit of a lie as I've been listening to Dark Light and Deep Shadows and Brilliant Highlights by HIM for the past couple of days. They're not happy at all. Maybe I should pay more attention to the lyrics of songs...

Comment

Its not that the songs are unhappy. Thats what some are.

I mean, some Happy songs, make me want to hurt the people responsable.

Its that they seem to have written the song, just to appeal to the *ooh, pity me/them/whatever thing.* The whole *issues* crap.

They didnt write the song to make a great song, they wrote it to look worthy, go with the latest pain obbsession. Or the management told them to.

So gullible and stupid people will buy it and feel less guilty about how happy thye are. Or feel *worthy*.

Whats so wrong with being happy and rich? Thats what people want, be safe be happy, be well.

Like that crap with rappers and others making out that they are all bad ass , shot, suffering, miserable, addicted unsatisfied losers who are in trouble a lot.

When they really are functioning, rich, happy people who have achieved fame and fortune and awards.

I mean whats wrong with being happy and not a idiotic wreck.

People wouldnt think any less of them.

Or is that a cover to hide how bad their music is.

So they wont get critisied, they say * but I suffered, im addicted, im in pain, im bad etc.* as an excuse.

The thinking being the critic will be fooled into pitying them. No one with a brain is though.

I will point out, yes, I do skip these songs,

Also I think it must be quite recent . Though maybe not.

I think things like HIM songs and Seether songs etc are posative cos you listen and any feelings you have resonate with the song and you feel good.

I think when your harmonised with life, your happy. It doesny mean you have to go around grinning like a moron.
                            I am a very light goth, by the way.

Personally, I despise happy songs by people like Andy williams and Cliff Richard etc They make me angry, i want to hurt them.

BY THE WAY
                            i dont care that much about colours and size, DEMOS 99.

Comment

I am a very light goth, by the way.
                              That explains a lot. :)

I don't see anything wrong with people wanting to express their darker emotions creatively. Pain can be inspiring.

Comment

Working...
                              X