Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

PLEASE help me put a name to this band!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLEASE help me put a name to this band!

I've been asking this all over and I'm boring everyone silly, but this place is a fount of all kinds of knowledge and I'm encouraged by the Goth thread below, so please put me out of everybody else's misery! I'm trying to remember the name of this band. I have various details, some sketchy, some precise:

- active, I think, in the 80s and/or 90s
    - possibly American, probably British
    - I think the front man had big hair and shades
    - music vaguely Goth/industrial/noise
    - (this might clinch it) a female drummer, who played standing up and thwacked out a minimal beat on just two drums (a snare and a floor tom, for any tubspersons present); played a bit like Mo Tucker, only less sophisticated, and makes Meg White seem like a prog-rocker!
    - not totally obscure; I think they made it onto Brit TV on one or more occasions.

Any bells ringing? Please?! :?

The Strokes?

Comment

Inertia.

Comment

Eh, i have a name, but unfortunate its also the title for my book :D

Comment

Not Goth, not industrial, but definately STAGEY, maybe the band was the Thompson Twins. Mammy Yokum hat on the stand up femme drummer? Three piece '80s band . Lead singer was a white guy with big hair and a coat. The third twin was a black guy. More like a studio project image-tweaked for MTV. Had a few m/b successes.
          "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Thanks, all, but no hits so far. I am resigned to having this question gnawing at my soul for all eternity...

Comment

X

Songs include: "Los Angeles" "Living With A White Girl"
              The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Timbuk3

http://www.timbuk3music.com/

"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades."
                The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

list of female drummers:

http://www.wanderlist.com/girldrummer

And this list of female rockers might be helpful:

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/page...alists-fe.html

Comment

Thanks, Berry - all good ideas, but still no direct hit. I've checked out that female drummers' list and several others, but they've not led me anywhere either. I'm quite sure the information I need would be in one of the music reference books I got rid of during the last cull...

Anyway, thanks to all for trying to help. I won't let this get to me...

Comment

Gee, thanks alot ZAX, now I'm obsessing about it! :)

Was it The Information Society, or maybe The Human League? Did they have a female drummer?
                      "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

No on both counts, sadly. Hmm - sadly infectious, this kind of thing, isn't it? :D I think I've got all my friends trapped inside this question by now. There's a good idea for a work of fiction here - a seemingly innocent question which no-one can answer but which becomes a global obsession, spreading across the world and displacing normal life until everyone starves and dies. Then this Goth band with a female drummer returns from having been abducted by aliens and wonders what's happened...

Comment

The Cure?

Comment

Pass me that straw when you've finished clutching at it, Berry! :) No girlies in The Cure, alas.

Comment

Could it be the Sisters of Mercy by any chance? Their frontman Andrew Eldritch has big hair and shades in most of the pictures I've found on Google. No female drummer but Patricia Morrison did play bass for them. They were also active in the 80s/90s.

Originally posted by Wikipedia
                              The band is one of the most popular and influential among the gothic rock scene
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sisters_of_Mercy
                              http://www.the-sisters-of-mercy.com/home.html#index

and some pictures can be found at:

http://www.ultra-pop.org/galleri_s.htm

Hope this doesn't lead you on a wild goose chase. I'll be needing Berry's straw if it's not them. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X