Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What's This Called? Version 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's This Called? Version 2.0

Saturday, August 27th at 12 P.M. Noon Pacific Time (that's 8 P.M. in London and 12:30 A.M. the 28th in Bangalore!) the radio program What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang returns both to the airwaves and internet streams at Portland, Oregon station KPSU http://www.kpsu.org

After a hiatus from radio for over 2 years, I'm pleased to finally be coming home to the program I started in 1993, and what's more to a station that's actually located in a sub-basement. It doesn't get anymore underground than this! I'll be playing the historic What's This Called? mix of experimental, eclectic, post-punk, psychedelic, noise, incredibly strange music, and just plain weird sh!t, oddly now suitable for daytime listening.

KPSU streams on the net from here: http://www.kpsu.org/listen.php
    (it can be a little finicky, so if you don't connect on the first or second try, keep trying, you will eventually) it can also be heard citywide in Portland, OR (and Vancouver, WA) at 1450 A.M., and on the PSU campus and 98.3 FM.

Request Line: 503-725-5945

For podcast fans and latecomers shows can be found up to two weeks later here: http://www.archives.kpsu.org (but this can be really finicky...)
    My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

I just picked up Rhino records SF music box set Brain in a Box for the show! Expect the themes from Forbidden Planet, Dr. Who and others, plus SF music pioneers such as Les Baxter and Leonard Nimoy!

Air time in 22 minutes!
    My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

My stinky computer keeps "buffering" and "connecting" (I'm on very slow dial-up). And just plain stopping. First crazy drum noises, and now a sort of slow synth organ and surf-y guitar... I'm trying! I am! But technology is against me. I hope it's going a lot smoother on your side of the speakers. :)

8:18 (GMT):
      Was that Matt Stone doing a "chess club" announcement? And now it's just a scary sort of howling sound! This show was very well named...

8:21...
      I'm sorry, this is starting to bug me. It just cuts out every 30 seconds... and I was just getting in to that song (I guess "that's the fault of all these governors...").

Hope the show goes well, but I just don't have what it takes to make it in the 21st Century. Sorry.
      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Thanks for the effort Dee! The song you were enjoying was by The Evens, featuring Ian Mackaye of Fugazi/Minor Threat fame (obviously doing something a bit different in this incarnation.) Sorry for the dial-up vs. touchy server issues. Hopefully affordable broadband will find it's way to your area.

Here's the Official Playlist
        for What's This Called?
        with Ricardo Wang
        12-1 PM KPSU Portland 8/27/2005
        http://www.kpsu.org

Artist - Song - Album

Smoosh - The Quack -She Like Electric
        William Hooker - Morphology - Black Mask
        Tortoise - Along the Banks of Rivers - Millions Now
        Living Will Never Die
        Bebe Baron - Forbidden Planet Theme - Brain in a Box
        The Evens - All These Governors -S/T

Alvin Lucier - North American Time Capsule - Vespers
        Leonard Nemoy - Music to Watch Space Girls By - Brain
        in a Box
        Fatna Bent El Houcine w/ Ouled Ben Aguida - Taala Fine
        Ghadi - The Rough Guid to Music of Morroco
        Sonic Youth - Audience - An Anthology of Noise &
        Electonic Music - Vol. 1

??? - Lost in Space Theme - Brain
        in a Box
        Le Tone Mite - MacDonald Observatory, The Skies Were
        Erased - We Need to Grow to Giant Size
        dDamage - Liquid Words - Radio Ape

Comment

Listening to it right now. Loads of excellent stuff, as I expected ;)

Comment

Cool! The podcast option is a really nice development. I'll be posting all the playlists, so it makes it easier to figure out what you're hearing as well by listening after they're up. Of course that demands a better connection still. I have DSL and it took me nearly a half hour to download the one hour show!

Comment

Having followed my first show with a vacation, and then being preempted, I am just now getting to the second week of What's This Called ? at KPSU!

This week there will be a special world premeire of a totally awesome new track by Olympia, WA synthesizer madman Big Tom the Lithuanian. I am absolutely thrilled to be the first person to get to play this 4 minute slice of topical insanity on the radio and internet.

I also have audio treats in store from the Wiretapper 13 compilation which came with the June issue of Englands incredible Wire magazine, "Visage V" a 10 and a half minute piece by musique concrete founder Luc Ferrari in honor of his recent passing, and more science fiction themed fun from the Rhino box set Brain in a Box.

That's 12 noon Pacific Time, Saturday 9/17/2005. Listen in on the net: http://www.kpsu.org (and if you miss it, download the podcast [or set your RSS if so inclined] from the archives!)

Comment

4 Minutes until "air-time" on the internet. 1450 A.M. broadcast in Portland will be interrupted for about 18 minutes as a high school football game winds down...

Comment

The Playlist for 9/17/2005
                  What's This Called? with Ricardo Wang
                  KPSU 1450 A.M./98.3 FM Portland OR
                  Streaming Live at http://www.kpsu.org
                  (check the archive to dowload MP3 of the show!)

Song - Artist - Album

We Will Fall - The Stooges - s/t
                  Dr. Who (main title) - Eric Winstone Orchestra - Brain
                  in a Box
                  Priorities - Steve Fisk - 448 Deathless Days
                  Sweetest Charms - Deviationists - Wiretapper 13
                  Labor Day 2 - Big Tom the Lithuainian - single
                  Live Interview with Big Tom the Lithuanian
                  Any Hopeful Thoughts Arrive - Hood - Outside Closer
                  Bronchus One - Autechre - An Anthology of Noise &
                  Electronic Music Volume 2

Comment

Awesome.

Comment

Are you just commenting on the playlist, or did you listen live (or download it?) Curious what you thought of the Big Tom interview segment if you were listening. In listening to the recording later, I was pleasantly surprised that it was rather coherent.

Comment

I downloaded it as I never seem to get the times right...
                        And I'm a Big Tom fan since I got your compilations, so I liked the interview too :D

Comment

Actually I downloaded it for his piece since I already know or own most of the rest of the playlist ;)

Comment

Excellent, he'll be very pleased. Had you heard that Steve Fisk track before? That's one of my favorites.

Comment

Yup.
                              Actually, the one track i don't have at home is the Dr who theme :D

Comment

Working...
                              X