Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Any Syd Barrett fans out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Syd Barrett fans out there?

8O
    \"No, I think Space is a dimension of Time. My theory is that Time is a field and that Space exists as an aspect of Time.\" Michael Moorcock

\"All I know about anything is \"I wasn\'t. I am. I will not be.\" Michael Moorcock

Yeah I like his stuff with Pink Floyd a lot.

Comment

Of course... :D I'm a great fan of his solo albums as well. It didn't take the Floyd long to descend into bloated pomposity without him. One of rock's great tragedies - but as far as I'm concerned the Madcap has the last laugh after all!
      \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Sad sad story Some of the solo stuff is genius, and some of it just makes you want to call for the men in white coats.
        \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

That's Dave Gilmour's fault for persuading him to release it all. Sad b*st*rds like me would rather have bad Syd than no Syd, though.
          \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

I would venture a guess that probably 80% of the musically inclined on this board are probably Syd fans to some degree, and 20% or so fanatics. Just an educated guess. It is sad that he burned out before giving us any more gems. Go figure how some wind up like him and yet the David Bowies and Lou Reeds of the world can still speak articulately and occasionally do something musically of worth.
            My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Can they?

Comment

Imagine my surprise when I went into my local Waitrose and spotted not only The Dark Side Of The Moon but also the double Best Of... Floyd thingy (featuring some of Syd's masterworks), proudly sitting alongside some of the usual up-to-date blandness on the CD rack.

Who says Live 8 never achieved anything? Syd will be able to redecorate his bungalow on this! :D

Comment

Love Syd. Can't get enough early Floyd. It sounds fantastic now, so it must have been out of this world when it came out!

Are you aware of this site?

If you click on the 'Stuff' link, then on the 'Audio takes' link, it takes you to a page of mp3s.
                  You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Thanks for that, Guv. Excellent site!
                    found out i didn't have all of his records, when I thought I did. More Syd to be discovered, yay!

Comment

Try this an'all: http://www.sydbarrett.net/

Comment

Originally posted by mordenkainen
                        Can they?
                        Yeah, about half of The Raven is actually pretty decent, and Magic and Loss was really quite good. More of a stretch for Bowie I suppose as he seems stuck in mediocrity.
                        My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

I must admit I gave up on them long ago...

Originally posted by Mikey_C
                          thanks! not enough of a fan to have investigated for myself, but syd barrett's music is definitely a collection that deserves completing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dead-Air
                            Can they?
                            Yeah, about half of The Raven is actually pretty decent, and Magic and Loss was really quite good. More of a stretch for Bowie I suppose as he seems stuck in mediocrity.
                            Wildly off the Syd topic, for which apologies, :oops: , but I hear Bowie's old mucker Eno's latest album is pretty good...

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey_C
                              Originally posted by Dead-Air
                              Can they?
                              Wildly off the Syd topic, for which apologies, :oops: , but I hear Bowie's old mucker Eno's latest album is pretty good...
                              Eno's done quite a few good recordings in recent years (decades), so that wouldn't surprise me at all. But then he never competed with Syd in acid, Lou in speed, nor David in coke, either!

Comment

Working...
                              X