Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Zappa Plays Zappa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zappa Plays Zappa

Sacrilege? Great night out? You be the judge.

For no apparent reason, Dweezil and Ahmet Zappa have decided to tour Europe playing their father's music. Personally I'd be quite happy watching them play their own music, but that's not on the table.

Details follow...

http://www.noblepr.co.uk/zappa/

Just the other day I was reading Trainspotting, and one of the main characters (Spud) is obsessed with Moon Unit Zappa... I had a bit of a crush on her myself after I saw the film European Vacation... I'm guessing she'll have to turn up for at least one show, right? So that's even more incentive to rush along and buy tickets.

I wish I was getting some sort of kick-back for this free publicity. :(

[Pointlessly Sexist Edit: Actually, Diva Zappa is pretty cute too. I wonder if they're sick of guys trying to use the "Pick em, I'm clean!" chat-up line on them? Ah well, couldn't hurt to give it a try...]
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

mmmm....
    really not sure... 'cept about Moon Unit :D
    dweezil and ahmet have the virtuosity, but are sooooo far from having their father's talent and creativity...and the madness..

oh well, I vote Great Night Out anyway. prolly worth seeing!

Comment

Of course, there's no question that AZ and DZ are putting themselves up for a lot of flack from FZ fans... but as they commented in an interview years ago, if anyone was going to play such music, it might as well be them! Plus, they're always funny in interviews, so anything that gets them back on the TV is fine with me. I've just noticed how undernourished the Wikipedia entry is for Ahmet, but apparently he's married to Selma Blair, so I'm pretty sure he has better things to do with his time than worry about how his Wikipedia entry looks... oh well, I've thrown a few more things on anyway. They'd overlooked Confessions which is a great album, imho.

Comment

In parts, imho - Return of the Son of Ch(etc) and Staying Alive mainly. The rest I found a bit 80s AOR, strangely from a young guy.

I'd go though :D
        \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

Have you heard the first take of Stayin' Alive with Ozzy Osbourne? They couldn't release it for some dull, corporate reason, so Dweezil roped in an Osmond instead. I swear I'm not making that up. I used to have the MP3, but that computer crashed. :(

Comment

No, :lol: but I'm about to obtain some new anti-virus software and reload Kazaa (unless anyone can suggest something better??), so I will have a hunt. Let me know if you find it!

Comment

I found it on an unmarked CD R/W (along with the Ribbon song from Ghost World, a collection of Little Nell B-sides, and other such delights!). Sadly, since the old computer crashed, there isn't a single bit of technology in this house that can play the disc without tracks jumping. :( Anyhoo, I'll try to e-mail it off to you (I started attaching it to an e-mail about ten minutes ago, and it's still going). :)

Edit: A mere 15 minutes later, and it's ready to post! Ah, 56K dial-up, I hate you so very much...

Comment

Originally posted by zakt
                No, :lol: but I'm about to obtain some new anti-virus software and reload Kazaa (unless anyone can suggest something better??),
                eMule. definitely.

Comment

Mordenkainen wrote:
                  eMule. definitely.
                  I think you may be right there! Kazaa seems to be infinitely slower than when I last used it (though the a-v software may also be responsible). Thanks for the tip.

And thanks again for the track, DCS - Ozzy does add a touch of class to the proceedings. Happily, I bumped into someone in the pub last night who independently raised the Dweezil / Ahmet gig in Glasgow, so I was persuaded (without much persuasion) to go in November. :D :D

Comment

I think you may be right there! Kazaa seems to be infinitely slower than when I last used it (though the a-v software may also be responsible). Thanks for the tip.
                    I got most of my MP3s from Napster, back in the days when it was a rogue and naughty site to visit. Now they're putting really lame adverts in highstreet magazines. Sigh...

And thanks again for the track, DCS - Ozzy does add a touch of class to the proceedings. Happily, I bumped into someone in the pub last night who independently raised the Dweezil / Ahmet gig in Glasgow, so I was persuaded (without much persuasion) to go in November. :D :D
                    You're more than welcome... and if you happen to bump into Diva in Glasgow, say "hi!" from me. :)

Comment

Sorry to dredge this thread up from the bowels, but I've just discovered that the Ozzy "Stayin' Alive" cover is available for legal purchase on his Prince of Darkness box-set... along with a cover of "Born to be Wild" with Miss Piggy!?

Still no chance of me getting to the Zappa concerts though... I would type more but I've got the chorus to "Baby Snakes" looping in my brain. Eeek!

Comment

Working...
                      X