Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Aren't most contemporary symphonic filmscores putrid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aren't most contemporary symphonic filmscores putrid?

Dear Michael,

I am an American conductor, living and working in Europe these 20 years, and a big fan of yours. Having just read about your upcoming film projects, I'd like to know whether you have definite plans regarding the soundtrack style. (Worst part of the LOTR films, aside from bad added dialogue, was the platitude laden score.) IF Elric is to have any symphonic embellishment, then I'd like to be a part of it (yes I also compose on occaison, when I'm not conducting Mahler, Bruckner, Verdi, Mozart etc).

I rarely browse the internet, but today I have a cold, and finding this site has brightened the day considerably.

If you have any interest, please let me know. (NB: my filmscore heroes are Waxman, Steiner, Auric and Herrmann..... and I believe Swords and Sorcery needs something operatic, written by someone who knows 19th cent. music rom the inside.)

Best regards and bonne chance with the film studios -
    Michael Hurshell

hey Mhurshell,
    Im a budding musican thats been workin with diffent bands for a while but this past year ive been working with independent film producers and directors scoring some inde. films.

Since your a renown composer/conductor i wanted to know if you had any advice to give someone trying to break into this field.

Thnx alot

Comment

Has anyone seen the movie "Kull"?

Its soundtrack is somewhat of Heavy Metal and good old Rock 'n' Roll. And it sounded great!

Why don't make an Symphonic/Metal score for the movie?
      \\

Comment

Thats kinda my style Lordmarioh, i do alot of industrial/metal stuff with my band and some of it carries over to the soundtrack if its appropriate ya know. The movies ive done so far have been suspense thrillers/ Horror films so i think it lends itself well. I could post a link if your interested..

Comment

Please post a link, Arioch.
          I'm interested in hearing what you do.

Comment

Please post a link, Arioch.
            I'm interested in hearing what you do
            Thx for the interest Jerico.

this is the opening credits for a film im workin on right now, its still in a developmental stage tho

this is my band: LONGINUS

this is a little song i wrote for someone on the board

Tell me what you think[/url]

Comment

mhurshell

What do you think of Hildegard von Bingen? I have posted about her on other threads but since this is also about the music I will be her advocate here as well.

A sample (performed by Anonymous4):
              http://www.harmoniamundi.com/music3/907200.mp3

Moorcock agrees with me on vonBingen (maybe not as strongly, but he likes it). In the thread:
              [broken link]

A couple of pieces I mentioned come from the Feast for St. Ursula: 11,000 Virgins (Anonymous 4) which I think would be great in a fantasy setting. Namely, Sequence: O Ecclesia and/or Brief Responsory: Mirabilis Deus
              Here's a link to begining of that thread:
              [broken link]

It is 'old' 12th century stuff and very good. Your thougths?
              Last edited by Rothgo; 04-21-2010, 02:01 PM.
              When they had advanced together to meet on common
              ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
              and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
              each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
              mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
              killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Hey thats pretty nice VonWeiner, i listened to the sample.

I could see that fitting right into an Elric movie. Good choice. Very atmospheric.

Comment

Thx Arioch.

Ah praise from Arioch feels good. Blood and Souls for thee! :lol:
                  When they had advanced together to meet on common
                  ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
                  and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
                  each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
                  mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
                  killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Working...
                  X