Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Polly Jean Harvey on the radio tonight...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polly Jean Harvey on the radio tonight...

Friday 4 March 2005 22:15-23:30 GMT (Radio 3)

Robert Sandall and Mark Russell present a special In Concert edition featuring a unique semi-acoustic gig by leading UK rock artist PJ Harvey. This concert was recorded exclusively for Mixing It at the Royal Court Theatre in London last December, a venue which allowed Grammy-nominated Polly Harvey and her band to experiment with scaling down their full-on rock sound to an intimate feel with acoustic guitars and a lighter percussion set-up.

Duration: 1 hour 15 minutes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/mixingit/pip/c484r/

No doubt it will end up on "Listen Again" once it's been broadcast.

Ah, Ms. Harvey... still the only person who can make me feel even slightly proud to come from Dorset. Bless her. :)
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

dcs SAID:
    Ah, Ms. Harvey... still the only person who can make me feel even slightly proud to come from Dorset. Bless her.
    What - not even Gordon Haskell ex of Stackridge and (allegedly) King Crimson who sang the epoch-shattering Radio 2 Christmas hit "Harry's Bar" a couple of years ago :?: Yeah, maybe not :oops:
    \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

I can't say I'm familiar with his work, but I'd wager that Harvey is much cuter than Haskell. I'm trying to think of any other Dorset types, but none spring to mind. It isn't exactly a hub of culture. That's why I always chuckle when I read about her writing in New York and Bridport... it isn't very often you hear those two places mentioned in the same sentence! :)

Comment

Isn't Robert Fripp from Christchurch originally? Otherwise, I think you're right!
        \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

Well, according to Absolute Astronomy dot com, you're correct about Fripp! However, apart from some archbishops, a paleontologist and an artist I've never heard of, that's about it... and the site doesn't specify how any of those people look in a hot pink cat-suit.

Still, at least that leaves the field open for new talent... it's not like being a band from Liverpool and having to hear people compare you to The Beatles all the time! It would be nice if something happened here, but I doubt I'd notice if it ever did...

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/enc.../Do/Dorset.htm

Comment

All of you that live in England are lucky to be able to see PJ Harvey. I've wanted to see her live for 8 years and can't seem to be able to come up with the money to either go to New York or England. I have an idea.. Let's have a concert with Pj Harvey, Portishead and Tori Amos, I would pay huge amounts of money to see that show!! :D

Comment

I read in... er... Q, I think it was, that Portishead are working on a third studio album, claiming they never "broke up", just took a bit of a break. They are still one of my favourite Brit bands of the last few decades. I just hear those scratchy beats and Beth's voice and... shiver. Top stuff.

Sad fact: Despite living a few miles or so from one of Ms Harvey's homes, I've never seen her play live! She actually rehearses for her world tours here in my home town. But does she ever call me up and ask me to sit in on a session? No she does not. But then she probably knows I'd just be crying the whole time and telling her how much I love her eye-brows, so it's probably for the best...

:)

Comment

That is too funny DeeCrowSeer ! Atleast you have a chance to see Pj Harvey.. As for Portishead, love them so much too. Have you heard Beth Gibbons in her solo cd's Dee?

Comment

Originally posted by Sky
                  As for Portishead, love them so much too. Have you heard Beth Gibbons in her solo cd's Dee?
                  No, actually. I think I heard one of her solo songs once and did that rather stupid thing of going "well, it's not Portishead" and ignoring it. At the time I didn't realise how long it would be until the next Portishead album would appear! Are they any good?

Comment

Check it out DeeCrowsteer, it's quite impressive actaully. It's still Beth Gibbins and it does have a Portishead sound too it.. It's just not as dark and trippy sounding.

Comment

I might well have to now.., I'd also forgotten all about the DVD! Live performances, promo videos and To Kill A Dead Man... why don't I own this already???

Ah well, the season for demanding presents will soon be upon us... ho, ho, ho...

Comment

I know what you mean DeeCrowSeer. The theam to Kill A Dead Man, is probably one of my most favorite songs that Portishead has done. By the way, which album is To Kill A Dead Man on? I know I use to have it but now I cannot find it..?:(

Comment

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say it wasn't on an album as such, but the "rarities" collection called Glorytimes, and possibly the B-side of a single or two. I'm trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about here, but only found out about this collection a few days ago, and sadly never got around to buying the singles.

http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=1547134

(Other mail-order sites are available. Check local listings. )

Comment

England has a ton of wonderful bands. Most of my favorite bands are from there... Pink Floyd, PJ Harvy, Tori Amos, Portishead, The Beatles, The Specials, The Clash etc.... :D

Comment

Working...
                            X